cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU Temps and crashing when OC'd

aceisme
Level 10
Since I've updated to BIOS 3504 (from BIOS 1302) and the ME Driver to the latest Version 11.7.0.1040 my CPU temps are extremely high and after the latest MS updates I can't even OC my CPU. Used to run smooth at 4.6GHz and 1.240V and temps would barely touch 60C under load on BIOS 1302. Now on BIOS 3504 and the new ME firmware, with CPU at stock, it idles in the 50's even in BIOS window.
All these new updates coming from ASUS and MS have completely stuffed up my stable PC. Anyone know how I could revert everything back to BIOS 1302 and older ME firmware? With all the issues I'm having, I really don't care about Spectre anymore.

Motherboard: MH8 / BIOS 3504
CPU: 6700K
Cooler: Corsair H110i
RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz
M.2: Samsung 950Pro (512GB)
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can use BIOS flashback method to flash old BIOS. Check page 2-12 of your manual

I guess you can uninstall ME driver through control panel and instal previous version...

Maybe use a restore point from before the updates?

aceisme
Level 10
Thanks for your reply. So with USB BIOS Flashback I can downgrade from BIOS 3504 to anything I want? Can I do this within the BIOS menu as well or you can only do a BIOS upgrade this way?

aceisme wrote:
So with USB BIOS Flashback I can downgrade from BIOS 3504 to anything I want?

Yes, in theory you can flash any BIOS this way

In the BIOS there is another utility EZ flash but you cannot downgrade a BIOS by this method is my understanding...only upgrade..

BIOS flashback is the best/safest/most reliable method in my experience anyway.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I just had a thought aceisme

That kind of temp change actually sounds more like something is wrong with your cooler. You sure that H110i is working OK....still mounted OK?

If you touch the tubes coming from the block does one of them feel warm...or warmer than the other?

Some of these AIO coolers can leak without leaking if you get what I mean...evaporating coolant slowly so air gets in the loop and then obstructs flow...

Good test for this is to tip the case back and forward and side to side 45 degrees (all power off of course) and see if temps temporarily recover...

aceisme
Level 10
Nah, nothing wrong with the cooler. If there was air in the loop you would hear it. This only started happening after the upgrades. I managed to bring the temps down by reducing the CPU voltage and now it seems more stable. CPU package sits around 39C on idle and the cores vary between 35-40C. I haven't tried loading the CPU or overclocking yet.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What voltage?

Temps still sound too high...idle should be about 30 degrees core temps AFAIK and while I think Intel have lot to answer for over this stuff, I'm not sure that much of a temp increase can be pinned on them...

but who knows...try the BIOS flash

aceisme
Level 10
Ok, I've done a quick Cinebench test and temps do spike very high. Maybe I will check the cooler tomorrow. Something is definitely not right.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

aceisme
Level 10
I checked the cooler. There are no visible leaks, the pump spins at around 3,000rpm, the mounting is all tight and one tube is quite warm (with CPU package idle temps around 40C+) while the other tube is cold.
With all that I think I can completely eliminate any problems with the cooler. To add to that, everything was fine before the ME firmware and software upgrade and deteriorated even more with the MS updates. BIOS 3504 ran hotter than my original 1302 BIOS but only by a few degrees. At the moment I've set the CPU at 4.0GHz max frequency. I might have to go even lower while I look for the problem. This is driving me nuts and I wish I never touched it. You know the old saying....if it ain't broken don't fix it.
I'm surprised no one else is experiencing this issue. I'm happy to listen to any suggestions that do not involve format/OS re-install. Anyone from ASUS? Raja maybe?