cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgradeing your GL702ZC notebook?

Mummy
Level 8
Hi all again! Did you miss me? 😜

I did buy this laptop on this weekend sale as it was time for an update on that apartment and so ofcorse i did lookup an future upgrade bath of this one.
So far i know that in the mail is version "GC173T" that means:
CPU: AMD 8-Core RYZEN 7 1700 (3.0 GHz)
GPU: Radeon™ RX580 4 Gt
Memory: 16 Gt 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM-muisti (most likely single stic)
SSD: 256 Gt M.2 (most likely non-NVMe)
HDD: 1Tt (5400rpm)

The Manual via ASUS website: Tell's you that you can update your hardware by opening the lover cover, Example that M.2 slot supports 2280 NVMe and SATA SSD's if you want to upgrade it and that you can chage that HDD too.
But where are those media files that you need for installing OS?
Are there a build in USB bootdrive maker on it already for easy install or do you need to make your own?

I allso see that on the specs shows that the motherboard in it supports Dualchannel memory but the supported DC mem list is missing like its a topsecret?
The Laptop seller only sells aData SoDIMM 2400MHZ and the upcomeing Linus Tech Tips video shows that there is Samsung memory used at least on theyr model version...

Yeah im neube again on this new teck and what i member reading this new rizen can be little difficult on memory, so Fingers corst some one kows what to buy on this! Special if you look your new mem prices at the moment...
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit
11 REPLIES 11

FastM
Level 8
download the “Windows Creation Tool” to create a bootable windows10 install usb stick. No serial is required since your hardware signature is already registered with Microsoft and will activate automatically.

Make sure to backup the C:\eSupport folder that comes on the factory install of Windows10. This is your factory install drivers/apps you need after doing a clean install of a Windows10.
Any SODIMM DDR4 will work.

Thx for the fast replay!

Ok so there arent any recorvery cd/Usb drives that you need to make on firsth boot anymore?
Dosnt new laptops have os key under them anymore?

If you Update your M.2 SSD to NVMe SSD, your HDD to SSD and Add new SODIMM to make it work dual channel.
Will Windows still know its the same computer and so dont need the key?

EDIT: So, no problems with different brands SO DIMM mix maching on new AMD side?
If so, then i get adata its like 50 € cheaper then that Samsung here.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

I bought this laptop in October 2017 (last year), and I had to RMA it because the fans started running on maximum and never cycled down (essentially, the hardware which controls the fans was apparently fried after gaming - I wasn't pleased with that and asked Asus to repaste the machine with Gelid GC extreme and Fujipoly extreme thermal pads I provided to them when RMA-ing the laptop... but they hadn't).
All they did was replace the motherboard and couldn't tell me what caused the problem (which doesn't help if in case something like this happens again).

Anyway... in terms of upgrades... you can upgrade the CPU, RAM, HDD and SSD... and also the Wifi card.

This machine received the 303 BIOS which also included AGESA 1.0.0.7 version from AMD, along with VM activation.
This new AGESA supposedly supports upcoming Ryzen+ CPU's... not sure about Ryzen 2 and 3 though... and should support higher RAM frequencies... however, your best bet for now is to just use dual channel (which in itself should give us about a 10% boost in various RAM dependent tasks and gaming) without increasing the speed as RAM is quite expensive right now - unless you want to splurge on 3200 GhZ RAM.

Apart from that, you'll need to make a copy of your existing OS on a flash drive and just use that on a new SSD.
Me?
I'm using a clean Windows 10 Pro x64 install. Had massive issues with OEM Win 10 as it prevented games and various software from creating save games and Windows updates created a bigger mess on a software level - basically, after a clean Windows 10 install, all of my problems went away.

Anyway... There's room for upgrading yes...

deksman2 wrote:
I bought this laptop in October 2017 (last year), and I had to RMA it because the fans started running on maximum and never cycled down (essentially, the hardware which controls the fans was apparently fried after gaming - I wasn't pleased with that and asked Asus to repaste the machine with Gelid GC extreme and Fujipoly extreme thermal pads I provided to them when RMA-ing the laptop... but they hadn't).
All they did was replace the motherboard and couldn't tell me what caused the problem (which doesn't help if in case something like this happens again).

Anyway... in terms of upgrades... you can upgrade the CPU, RAM, HDD and SSD... and also the Wifi card.

This machine received the 303 BIOS which also included AGESA 1.0.0.7 version from AMD, along with VM activation.
This new AGESA supposedly supports upcoming Ryzen+ CPU's... not sure about Ryzen 2 and 3 though... and should support higher RAM frequencies... however, your best bet for now is to just use dual channel (which in itself should give us about a 10% boost in various RAM dependent tasks and gaming) without increasing the speed as RAM is quite expensive right now - unless you want to splurge on 3200 GhZ RAM.

Apart from that, you'll need to make a copy of your existing OS on a flash drive and just use that on a new SSD.
Me?
I'm using a clean Windows 10 Pro x64 install. Had massive issues with OEM Win 10 as it prevented games and various software from creating save games and Windows updates created a bigger mess on a software level - basically, after a clean Windows 10 install, all of my problems went away.

Anyway... There's room for upgrading yes...

So can I upgrade to Ryzen 2700 with bios 303 and AGESA 1.0.0.7?

velemas wrote:

I don't think so.
Contrary to my previous statement, it looks like the AGESA 1.0.0.7 did NOT contain microcode updates for Ryzen+.
One of the laptop users on Notebookreview forums sent a support ticket to Asus inquiring about Ryzen+ support in upcoming BIOS updates... but all Asus said was that they plan on releasing security updates/patches for GL702ZC BIOS, but not support for Ryzen+.

They have released BIOS 305 though... so that one might have incorporated the security updates (though their notes only say they incorporated stability updates - whatever that means).
BIOS 305 'might' contain microcode updates for Ryzen+, but I wouldn't bet on it.
If you have a 2700 CPU that could borrow from someone temporarily and test it out in the laptop, that would be the only way to find out.

velemas wrote:

Hiya, no unfortunatly we cant, I`ve tried the with the new 305 bois update. I dont know what GESA 1.0.0.7 is. Although last year when i bought the laptop after a while I upgarded to 1800x. To keep it stable i had to re-do the thermal design by adding more cooper, vapour chamber, extra fan wiring etc. In the end in cinebench it does 1600 avaerge and 1685 last i remember with OC. Chip runs 3.7 Ghz on all cores stock and hits 4.0 Ghz, and sometimes 4.1 Ghz boast on singal cores. So far I`m happy with it.

So would suggest forget 2700, just buy 1800x and under clock the chip and it should be fine without the modification I`ve done

Mummy
Level 8
hi thx for the info!
Hopefully i have better luck with main.
..It already looks like that i dont need ot open this laptop at all, as this version ("GC173T") seams to have 2x8Gt RAM (if you trust the box) so biges thing on it "Dual Channel" is already on. Its now on its firsth boot up and updates.

Did i understand rigth that you dont need to create this install media on start up like you did on old laptops? ... if you use this "Windows creation tool" you can make it when you deside to update your main os drive? as it dont copy this old media at all?

And yeah Windows OEM version has changed not only it cost more then retail version(here) but allso as today i see my laptop, it seams like oem key lable dont need to be on the pc anymore...

Anyway thanks for the info and have a nice weekend! Cheers!

I'd suggest you make a backup of your OS image regardless BEFORE you install any updates (as those seem to break factory reset - or at least it did in my case).

Or, if you already ran and installed Windows updates, just backup the existing OS image to a separate USB flash drive or location and keep it there in case you need to restore Windows.

Once you've backed up the OS and if you experience issues with games and/or software refusing to produce saves and such, you can simply use Windows 10 option to completely reset Windows and remove all of the programs/software/personal data (though make sure to download all drivers for the laptop first) except the files you have on the HDD (I use the HDD to store my installation software, downloads, pictures, media, etc... that way, I can just wipe the SSD and re-install the OS if I need to or just reset Windows to a clean slate).

Oh btw, you can also undervolt the CPU and GPU if you wish to drop temperatures.
The CPU can be undervolted if you download and install Ryzen Master utility for Threadripper (unless the one for regular Ryzen works for you - for me, only the threadripper version worked) and then go into creator mode, and set your boost frequency across all cores to a desired level and then drop the voltages.
Press apply after you found acceptable settings.

You will need to experiment with proper voltages and frequencies, but the idea is to drop power consumption at stock speeds without affecting performance.
In some cases, you can even run the CPU on higher clocks and lower than stock voltage.

My CPU is Ryzen 1700, and I can run 3.2 GhZ boost across all cores on 0.98125V.
3.3Ghz across all cores seems to work on 1.05V.
I can technically go higher as well...
I think the stock voltage of 1.1875V is suitable for 3.6 or 3.7GhZ across all 8 cores, but I need to test its stability and temperatures to make sure its sustainable.

As for undervolting the GPU, you will need latest MSI Afterburner.
Under core Voltage, I was able to set it to -93mV (and this seems to work stable for my GPU when stressed a lot).
Your mileage in terms of voltages may vary... depending on your silicon quality... but -100mV can work for some games like Mass effect Andromeda (it did for me at least).
So you can play about with the voltages and frequencies on your CPU to find a right balance.

I suggest you download and use Prime95 for CPU frequency and voltage stability (usually a run of 10 to 30 mins will suffice).
As for testing the GPU... you can use something like 3dMark Timespy etc..

Mind you... since you have a different CPU, your voltage threshold will probably be different.
You could use something like this to get you started on the voltages:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6c60z7/my_first_attempt_at_undervolting_a_r5_1600_ryzen/

Examine what your voltage settings are and start reducing them in smaller increments.

For the GPU, I suggest you drop the core voltage to -80mv, and run 3dMark timespy.
If that passes fine, you can test again with a lower voltage... set to say -90mv...
Finally, try -100mV and see if it works (for me this setting passed a few times, but it also froze once - which is why I had to set with -93mV for my GPU).

Our GPU's are identical, but yours might have been made later and you could have gotten a better silicon quality as a result (allowing you to drop voltages to lower levels than mine can).

Undervolting is pretty safe and won't damage the system at all.
Worst case scenario is that the OS crashes due to hardware not having enough power to run it... that's how you know you should increase the voltage to slightly higher setting (a notch or two up should work) and re-test to see if it works.

ReneS
Level 8
That would interest me too