cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the maximus hero x compatible with the trident z ddr4-4133 using xmp

USERMAC
Level 9
DDR4-4133 PC4-33000 8192MB x2 CL19-19-19-39 1.35

I got this memory as it said on the QVL ON THE GSKILL Website and showed Maximus X HERO and I saw it can support up to "4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 4133(O.C.)"
also on the specification on the asus website.

Is this the wrong memory for this board I don't get why I can not use the XMP.
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
See the RAM section in the guide in my sig...

You may well need to do some serious tweaking in the BIOS to get that to work...it is the CPU really, not the board, that determines what happens...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
See the RAM section in the guide in my sig...

You may well need to do some serious tweaking in the BIOS to get that to work...it is the CPU really, not the board, that determines what happens...

Sorry Arne but that's not true at all. The board plays a huge part in achievable memory frequency. The DRAM topology, number of memory slots, layer count. To name but a few...

Hence why for 2 DIMM kits above 3866, dialing in stability on 2 DIMM boards is far easier than on a 4 DIMM if using the same CPU.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Menthol
Level 14
I used a 2x8GB 4133 kit on a X Hero, when choosing XMP it asks a yes or no question on MCE, choose yes and reboot, if it does not boot to Windows enter voltages manually
Dram 1.38v, VCCIO 1.2375, VCCSA 1.2375, you may have to play some with both VCCIO and VCCSA voltages for complete stability
My experience when using XMP is VCCIO and VCCSA are set kind of higher then needed, around 1.32 volts read from AIDA64, and both can be lowered manually
Like Arne states it comes down to CPU quality more than motherboard

Does not work for me I think I will try a pair lower speed memory perhaps try G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZR 16 GB

my 8700k must be of poor quality

Menthol
Level 14
You can manually set your kit to 3600 16-16-16, no need to replace it, a future bios update may allow XMP on your existing kit

Do I just have to change the DRAM Frequency and that will auto set up the 16-16-16 ?

I looked at the timings page and that just looked confusing and puts me off in case a break something.

So annoyed the XMP does not work

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No need to be sorry Silent Scone...in fact you just made my point for me 😉

Silent Scone wrote:
if using the same CPU.

Obviously my statement is true for a given board...

OP has a board and ram qualified on it....weak link is CPU... QED

Good CPU will run RAM on a bad board more easily than a bad CPU on a good board

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
No need to be sorry Silent Scone...in fact you just made my point for me 😉

Obviously my statement is true for a given board...

OP has a board and ram qualified on it....weak link is CPU... QED

Good CPU will run RAM on a bad board more easily than a bad CPU on a good board

The point was, use the same CPU with a board better equipped to deal with high frequency kits vs one that's not - you will notice the difference. Saying the board isn't a factor is very much misinforming someone, no disrespect intended.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I have 2 sets (so 4 sticks) of the 4133 running at XMP and all is stable... Lucky I guess...