cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Malfunction G74

Ray-Ban
Level 7
Hey all,

Well didn't take too long, I am loving the laptop but have a USB port that seems to be acting up. It will randomly disconnect and reconnect. Not sure which port it is, but it says this on the description: Port_#0002.Hub_#0003

Anyone know what slot this is?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Kurious_G
Level 7
Search for driver updates....
USB 3 has been known to act flakey at times, I have experienced this myself.
I have had no problems with USB 2 ports though, and after installing updates for USB 3, it seems to have stabilized.

KG
ASUS Republic of Gamers G74SX-DH73-3D 😄
Intel 510 Series 250 GB SATA Version 3 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive
Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate/Fedora 16
ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH53 13.3-Inch Ultrabook

dstrakele
Level 14
On my G74SX-A1, in Device Manager, the "USB Composite Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" has a "Location information" property of value "Port_#0002.Hub_#0003" in the "Details" tab of Properties for the USB Composite Device. The "Bus reported device description" property has a value "ASUS USB2.0 Webcam". This makes sense, since the Webcam/Microphone is a composite (serving more than one purpose) device.

So I believe it is your Webcam that is randomly disconnecting. For a first step in troubleshooting, I would uninstall the ASUS USB2.0 Webcam in Device Manager, then reboot the system. It should detect the Webcam on startup and install the Windows 7 Plug N Play driver (which is currently running on my Webcam).

If that fails to resolve the issue, I would boot into Safe Mode and install the latest Intel Chipset driver from the command line using the -overall switch. This driver may be downloaded from a link in the OP of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s. Instructions for installing using the -overall switch are at the bottom of this post.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I don't even see a webcam device in my device list anymore and also don't hear the connect/disconnect sound.... starting to think it totally failed on me.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you choose "Action - Scan for hardware changes" in the top menu of Device Manager, does "ASUS USB2.0 WebCam" appear under "Imaging Devices"? If not, I think it is likely you are experiencing a hardware problem. I remember a post from late lasy year where the user could get the camera to connect by wiggling the laptop lid - definitely a hardware problem in that case.

How long have you had your G74?

I no longer hear the connect/disconnect sound, but there is no 'imaging devices" section in my device manager. I don't see any instance of the webcam in my devices.

dstrakele
Level 14
That makes it sound more like a hardware problem, since it is no longer detected by Windows.

Are you still within your retailer's exchange/return policy? If so, I recommend exchanging it for a new unit, or returning it for a refund.

EDIT: Check out this post to see if the camera is disabled in Power4Gear or Windows Advanced Power Management settings: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4218-Optical-Drive-is-Gone&p=29045&viewfull=1#post29045