cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Extreme large discrepancy in voltages? Normal or bad mobo?

Wolfskin07
Level 7
Hello all!

I purchased an Asus Crosshair VI Extreme motherboard this past friday to update my current ryzen build from Mini-ITX to full ATX!
Did a lot of research about motherboards and finally decided to get back in the ROG train and I was very happy with the decision until i fired up the computer.

The thing is I'm seeing a massive discrepancy in voltages set in UEFI and actually applied 😕 It might be me because i'm fairly new to this Ryzen thing

Example:
RAM voltage to 1.35V equals 1.308V. It takes 1.40V to get 1.378V...
SOC voltage to 1.17V equals 1.11V. It takes 1.22500V to get 1.177V...
CPU is in auto so far because i'm trying to get my 3600Mhz RAM up to spec and stable.

I tried setting LLC in SOC to 1 and 2 and made no difference. Changed the RAM VRM phase from full or extreme to standard and made no difference as well.

My question is this: are these voltages normal for the top tier AM4 motherboard?? Am I doing something wrong?

I had an ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Itx/ac and could get my ram stable using 3600Mhz 18-18-18-38 1T with Gear Down Enabled, 1.35V in RAM and 1.17V in SOC and now I can't even get the same with this motherboard.

Please help!
10 REPLIES 10

Wolfskin07
Level 7
I can now confirm that this is an issue with the motherboard! Working for a big distributor I have access to a lot of hardware and so far i've tested 3 different Crosshair VI Extreme and only one had the voltages almost correct! Dram voltage of 1.20V equaled 1.199V and SOC of 1.10 equaled 1.09V. The others were way off with Dram voltage of 1.20V amounting to 1.245V... this is a serious issue with an extreme overclocking motherboard like this one...

Tested with default UEFI and latest version as well. What gives ASUS???

Wolfskin07
Level 7
Update: out of 5 boards tested, 2 are volts OK, 2 have "massive" under voltage (~0.05V, ex: 1.20V equals ~1.15V) and 1 has "massive" over voltage (~0.05V Ex: 1.20V equals ~1.245V).
Will be exchanging my motherboard for one of the two that tested OK.

Someone at ASUS told me there should be a new UEFI release next week so I'll test the other boards again once it's available but i'm pretty sure this isn't UEFI related 😕

My board has VDDP always at 0.065 volt read in bios and also on the test point, it this a hardware bug? Setting other value in bios has no effect.

It was already explained many times.
Sensors accuracy is 22mV. So 1.35 may show as 1.328 or 1.372 if your voltages are below / above quantisation level (mid point).
Additionally some sensors have offset which may be additional 22mV - so it will always show too much or too less by same amount.

BlackBishop
What you answered is not my problem, the voltage is always 0.065 volt, is not changing no matter what, should be around 700 mV.
The general sensor accuracy of 22mV I inderstand, even if it pretty bad...

VDDP was initially fed externally in to the CPU, but was changed in AGESA 1.0.0.4 to be internally generated which is why there's no voltage at that input.

So in that case setting it in bios will change it or not?

This could be a serious problem for the supposed best AM4 motherboard they offer. I hope an AMD rep responds to this thread.

Riekopo wrote:
This could be a serious problem for the supposed best AM4 motherboard they offer. I hope an AMD rep responds to this thread.

There is no AMD rep here.
Check what Elmor has to say about it. He is an ASUS rep and a very good one.
sensors are not always accurate, mostly none are. The only shure way to check it out is with a calibrated DVM and knowing where to measure.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein