cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX replacement Power Ribbon?

Sean_M
Level 7
Anyone know where I can score a sumitomo-g awm 2896 80c vw-1 10 pin ribbon cable? Everyone I ask says "Need the serial number of the laptop" but the sticker wore away and my client has no idea what it was. The current one is crimped horribly and is suspect of the power button only lighting up for 3 seconds and then going out. Motherboard has already been swapped out and not even bothering with the battery, just using the power cord.

I believe its 10 pin as I count ten contacts at the clip.

Can anyone direct me to reliable parts or send me a parts list because the lack of Serial Number is stonewalling all attempts to fix this device.

Thank you.

Sean M.
5 REPLIES 5

Clintlgm
Level 14
have you tried ebay?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

MrRuckus
Level 10
Sean.M wrote:
Anyone know where I can score a sumitomo-g awm 2896 80c vw-1 10 pin ribbon cable? Everyone I ask says "Need the serial number of the laptop" but the sticker wore away and my client has no idea what it was. The current one is crimped horribly and is suspect of the power button only lighting up for 3 seconds and then going out. Motherboard has already been swapped out and not even bothering with the battery, just using the power cord.

I believe its 10 pin as I count ten contacts at the clip.

Can anyone direct me to reliable parts or send me a parts list because the lack of Serial Number is stonewalling all attempts to fix this device.

Thank you.

Sean M.

Your client should have registered their device, then they would have it.

Here's the Serial number to my old G74Sx. Not sure why the serial number would be needed if you know the model #.

Serial Number: B9N0AS790830396

I have long since sold the laptop so the info is of no real importance to me. That ribbon cable in a search engine does pull up multiple ebay listings. That may be the easiest place to get one since that laptop hasn't been in production for sometime. My purchase date says 3/1/2012, so almost 7 year old device. Good luck!
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
Your client should have registered their device, then they would have it.

Here's the Serial number to my old G74Sx. Not sure why the serial number would be needed if you know the model #.

Serial Number: B9N0AS790830396

I have long since sold the laptop so the info is of no real importance to me. That ribbon cable in a search engine does pull up multiple ebay listings. That may be the easiest place to get one since that laptop hasn't been in production for sometime. My purchase date says 3/1/2012, so almost 7 year old device. Good luck!

Right? I submitted the part number of the motherboard which would make more sense but that doesn't seem to cut it. Thanks, I'll try the S/N and I've been looking at eBay, but I'm trying to get the same swanky type that has the reinforced ends like the original.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Thank you again, everyone, for the advice. I managed to score the part from IMPACT COMPUTERS in Florida, see link below. The device is up and running and I am in BIOS. Note to other DIY fans:

Either it is the current generation of MoBo's or a quirk in certain models, this device will not POST without RAM.

Now I will start a new thread about RAID!

Thanks again! And for anyone who wants a new (or relatively new) powercable, here's the link:
https://www.impactcomputers.com/14g124150103.html?path=1002_10554_10846_110218

For anyone who needs to order it, the part number is: 14G124150103

and the descriptor is: 14G124150103 - Power FFC 10P, 0.5mm, L:150 For G74SX Notebook

Thanks again!