cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Crackling/Popping with Realtek and Sonic Studio 3 (in games, music and more)

ivanuero
Level 7
I recently built a desktop with an Asus Strix B250G motherboard (and Windows 10) and I've been hearing crackling and popping audio when using headphones. I'm currently using Realtek and Sonic Studio 3 latest version, and have tested it with various configurations of the two, as well as two different headsets and two different audio output jacks on the PC.I have tried everything on the internet forums but nothing helped to me. The one thing when I uninstalled the Sonic Studio and realtek driver from Asus website the problem is gone but now I have ****ty audio quality without good bass and EQ. Please anybody who can help me with this I can give you some money on paypal... Im so frustrated cause I tried really everything.

Thanks for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

ivanuero
Level 7

Nate152
Hi ivanuero

Good to hear reinstalling the Realtek audio driver fixed the issue.

Here is a video I recorded, does this help you?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ivanuero

Good to hear reinstalling the Realtek audio driver fixed the issue.

Here is a video I recorded, does this help you?

Actually the reinstalling the driver doesnt helped. I said that after uninstalling all the drivers the popping is gone but I have also ****ty audio without EQ and basses. And my question was how to fix it that it doesnt make crackling sounds randomly in listening a music
and playing games like GTA V and h1z1 with installed Asus drivers (Sonic Studio 3)... But after I installed it back the issue is still there and I dont know what do to cause I really tried everything what I found on internet pc forums. But anyway thanks buddy that you made a video for me. In that video I´ve understand everything.

Nate152
There are some solutions you can try in the link below, it's for windows 7 but should apply to windows 10.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/fix-audio-staticcracklingpopping-with-realtek-sound-card/

Does any of the methods fix it ?

awolfman12
Level 7
So I had a similar problem where audio would very faintly pop / stutter / static for about 1/2 a second. I can't point my finger at what exactly I did to fix it but I'll tell you what I did:
In my bios under advanced settings > CPU > Power Management: I disabled Cstates.
Under Sound in windows properties I unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device."
Anything in the bios that related to "Power Saving" I disabled.
Switched from my UPS Battery Backup (Rated at 750Watts) to the wall socket.
After doing all this I am able to use the Sonic Studio 3 EQ with all its settings without the popping.
As for an example of what it sounds like: (If you have music playing and switch modes in Sonic Studio [Movie > Music > Game] you will hear an identical pop noise to the on that would randomly occur during media playback.

Skirnir
Level 7
I have an IX Hero with the same problem (same sound card, same drivers)

What mostly works for me is this solution:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47709-Sound-issue-(crackling)-with-Maximus-VII-Hero

Switching from HD Audio Front Panel to AC97 Front Panel.

Also do not run the volume up to 100, I do not go above 90. The Windows driver do not seem to have the issue, although you get snap crackle and pop there too if you run drives at 100% (i.e. defragging them).

Skirnir
Level 7
Even newer update: Reinstalled Windows, K-lite codec pack, uninstalled K-lite codec pack, installed Sonic Studio, set front panel to AC97, and hey, no pop and crackle, it may have been a codec problem with the K-lite codec pack. (No I didn't reinstall Windows because of this, I was okay with how it was, but once I had the option of cleaning up the codecs, well... Not sure if the AC97 thing is important on a clean install, but I do not want to jinx it now).

Newer update: Uninstalled the Realtek Audio driver and SonicRadar, thought I could run Sonicstudio with the Windows drivers, but that did not work. However the snap, crackle pop issue persisted, so at least I have succesfully narrowed it down to a SonicStudio problem (Mind the Realtek drivers still have a problem with the front panel, which the Windows Update supplied drivers do not, as of 17. march 2018).

Update: With Audio_6.0.1.8273_20171225 got crazy crackling and popping even with the sane solution and the crazy pants options (Switched front panel from AC97 to HD though, and that helped ...some, very wtf...)

I have an IX Hero with the same problem (same sound card, same drivers)

What mostly works for me is this solution:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47709-Sound-issue-(crackling)-with-Maximus-VII-Hero

Switching from HD Audio Front Panel to AC97 Front Panel.

Also do not run the volume up to 100, I do not go above 90. The Windows driver do not seem to have the issue, although you get snap crackle and pop there too if you run drives at 100% (i.e. defragging them).

If that does not work, you are down to the crazy pants stuff, disabling all other sound cards (like HDMIs from graphics cards), trying it out with antivirus disabled, turning the microphone down to 0, disabling the boost on it and then disabling it all together, disable the line in, the digital out and so on, everything but what you are using. Enter the Windows sound panel and in the communications options tell it to do nothing in the event of communications. In power options customize the power plan you are using, turn the PCI Express->Link State Power Management to: Off. Power the computer down, unplug the cables, let it rest 5 minutes, plug the cables back in, that kind of thing.

Maybe there are other crazy pants things to consider, I do not know.