cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Mode/Offset Mode. Adaptive mode not worthwhile over offset?

ItWearsOnAPerso
Level 7
I have an 8700k with a Maximus X Hero and Corsair 3200 ram (using XMP profile).

I currently have a stable overclock at 4.8 GHz with with 1.22 VCore and 4.5 GHz uncore. AVX offset is 2. LLC is 6. Both IAs are at 0.01. SVID is set to best case scenario. CPU core cache current limit is at Max (255.5)

I'm stable at 1.22 (goes up to 1.23 during P95) with manual mode and offset mode (negative offset of 0.06). I do not want the voltage to be constant so I'm trying to avoid manual mode at all costs.

With adaptive mode, I use the same settings as offset. An additional turbo mode CPU voltage of 1.28 with a negative offset of 0.06. My CPUs VID for 4.8 is 1.28 so I know I can't set it lower than that hence the negative offset.

My problem is that the CPU will ignore the negative offset and put itself at 1.28-1.29 while at load. However, lowering the CPU cache clock to 4.2 does result in the appropriate voltage 1.22-1.23.

2 questions:

1. Why is the CPU ignoring the offset in adaptive mode?

2. Why would lowering the cache clock by 300 mhz bring the voltage to where it should be?

3. If im able to achieve stable results with offset (-0.06) is there any reason to not use it?

4. From what I understand, applying a negative offset to adaptive mode still applies a negative offset to the entire VID stack. So there's really no point using adaptive if you're going to apply an offset. Then it just becomes offset mode. Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks in advance!
21 REPLIES 21

Raja
Level 13
Hi,

1) This is a known bug due to how the ring bus is configured (Vcore supplies both the core and ring domains). This should be patched soon.

2) See above.

3) If it's stable in daily use, no reason not to use it.

4) It's not that clear cut because it depends on what the default load voltage is when using offset mode. By setting the Adaptive voltage, you're at least limiting the maximum VID (for a given ratio) to something lower than the default offset voltage (as you increase the CPU ratio, you will see a disparity). If the default (full load) offset voltage is a lot higher than your CPU needs for stability, you'd have to apply a suitably large offset to reduce it. As the offset affects the entire VID stack, a larger value can cause issues for some CPUs when they transition from idle to load state.

hth
Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

1) This is a known bug due to how the ring bus is configured (Vcore supplies both the core and ring domains). This should be patched soon.

2) See above.

3) If it's stable in daily use, no reason not to use it.

4) It's not that clear cut because it depends on what the default load voltage is when using offset mode. By setting the Adaptive voltage, you're at least limiting the maximum VID (for a given ratio) to something lower than the default offset voltage (as you increase the CPU ratio, you will see a disparity). If the default (full load) offset voltage is a lot higher than your CPU needs for stability, you'd have to apply a suitably large offset to reduce it. As the offset affects the entire VID stack, a larger value can cause issues for some CPUs when they transition from idle to load state.

hth
Raja

Thanks for the detailed response Raja.

So ideally, when the patch comes, I should be able to set 1.22 as the adaptive voltage with no offset? This will tell the motherboard to supply a max voltage of 1.22 to the CPU at the turbo multiplier (4.8 ghz in my case). All other multipliers will be given voltages automatically as if no overclock had been applied. Correct?

OR do I still have to keep the voltage at 1.28 since its the default load voltage for 4.8ghz and apply the negative offset? If that's the case, I suppose I still don't see any advantage to using offset. Negative offset is still being applied to all clocks and it's just offset mode with a different label in my mind.

Thanks again!

ItWearsOnAPerson wrote:

So ideally, when the patch comes, I should be able to set 1.22 as the adaptive voltage with no offset? This will tell the motherboard to supply a max voltage of 1.22 to the CPU at the turbo multiplier (4.8 ghz in my case). All other multipliers will be given voltages automatically as if no overclock had been applied. Correct?

OR do I still have to keep the voltage at 1.28 since its the default load voltage for 4.8ghz and apply the negative offset? If that's the case, I suppose I still don't see any advantage to using offset. Negative offset is still being applied to all clocks and it's just offset mode with a different label in my mind.

Thanks again!

adaptive mode works just fine on my asus x hero settings are 5.0 ghz all cores adaptive mode 1.32v , cache 4.6 ghz ( i left min cache alone as it adds volts to cpu ) ram @ 4000 cl 18 . svid support on and best case cinario and llc ia load line to the same as yours .

my cpu drops down to 0.800mhz and 0.7v idol and ramps to 5 ghz on load . my cache also down clocks when not doing much .

the anomaly i found is that when u set cache min value and max value cpu wont down volt properly . it will down volt properly if u only type in your max cahe frequency mine 4.6 - 4.7 then everything works right .

when using prime 95 with my settings my 1.32v jumps to 1.33 and once ina blue moon to 1.34v for a mill a second . bu thats from me using load line @ level 6 .

when i play games i use max performance windows power plan and when on desk top i set max cpu speed via windows power plan to 2.0 ghz unless im in a game save a ton of power . everything down clocks and under volts perfectly . when i set power plan to cpu max to 60 % i get 2.4 ghz max speed with 0.9 v max voltage . off set mode is bad news always over shoots adaptive is where its @
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
adaptive mode works just fine on my asus x hero settings are 5.0 ghz all cores adaptive mode 1.32v , cache 4.6 ghz ( i left min cache alone as it adds volts to cpu ) ram @ 4000 cl 18 . svid support on and best case cinario and llc ia load line to the same as yours .

my cpu drops down to 0.800mhz and 0.7v idol and ramps to 5 ghz on load . my cache also down clocks when not doing much .

the anomaly i found is that when u set cache min value and max value cpu wont down volt properly . it will down volt properly if u only type in your max cahe frequency mine 4.6 - 4.7 then everything works right .

when using prime 95 with my settings my 1.32v jumps to 1.33 and once ina blue moon to 1.34v for a mill a second . bu thats from me using load line @ level 6 .

when i play games i use max performance windows power plan and when on desk top i set max cpu speed via windows power plan to 2.0 ghz unless im in a game save a ton of power . everything down clocks and under volts perfectly . when i set power plan to cpu max to 60 % i get 2.4 ghz max speed with 0.9 v max voltage . off set mode is bad news always over shoots adaptive is where its @

I tried just setting the max cpu core cache ratio to 4.5 and leaving the min at default. However, I can not get the voltage to go to 1.22 while using adaptive voltage. It refuses to go below 1.28 with llc at level 6 or 1.26 with llc at level 5.

And you say that adaptive is where it at but i still see no difference between adaptive mode and offset mode if you have to use an offset with adaptive mode. You're setting the Total Additional CPU core voltage to where you want, but if that voltage is lower than the default load voltage of your chip for that multiplier you have to use an offset to bring it down to where it should be. I could set that value to anything, but its not going to EVER go lower than 1.28 for me which is the default load voltage UNLESS you use an offset. That offset is applied to all clocks so there is no difference between what that does and what offset mode does.

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm having trouble understanding how adaptive is at all beneficial if you are trying to lower the voltage for your OC below the VID of that multiplier.

ItWearsOnAPerson wrote:
I tried just setting the max cpu core cache ratio to 4.5 and leaving the min at default. However, I can not get the voltage to go to 1.22 while using adaptive voltage. It refuses to go below 1.28 with llc at level 6 or 1.26 with llc at level 5.

And you say that adaptive is where it at but i still see no difference between adaptive mode and offset mode if you have to use an offset with adaptive mode. You're setting the Total Additional CPU core voltage to where you want, but if that voltage is lower than the default load voltage of your chip for that multiplier you have to use an offset to bring it down to where it should be. I could set that value to anything, but its not going to EVER go lower than 1.28 for me which is the default load voltage UNLESS you use an offset. That offset is applied to all clocks so there is no difference between what that does and what offset mode does.

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm having trouble understanding how adaptive is at all beneficial if you are trying to lower the voltage for your OC below the VID of that multiplier.

It's not possible to set the additional turbo voltage for adaptive to less than the stock VID for that ratio without the use of the offset function, this is why you are not seeing the voltage you're applying without the use of the offset. Adaptive is still the most efficient method to overclock the CPU as you're using the stock VID table for non turbo ratios, and ignoring the use of offset you also avoid the possible complication of instability at idle due to insufficient voltage as Raja has already alluded to. You're also applying this offset to the entire voltage stack as you mentioned previously.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

ItWearsOnAPerson wrote:

Thanks again!

1) No. The minimum adaptive voltage for a given ratio is defined by the CPU. To go below that value, you need a negative offset. Negative offsets currently do not work, and that's what's being patched. I have an alpha build for the Apex that fixes this, will be rolled out to other boards soon (I hope).

2) Consider this:

My CPU at 49X defaults to 1.33V for Vcore if I use a pure offset mode and the system is under full load.

If I use adaptive, the minimum voltage for the 49X ratio is 1.28V.

If the CPU is stable at 1.22V, I need a negative offset of 0.06V with adaptive voltage, yet I need to use 0.09V with offset.

Therein lies the rub. Offset often defaults to a higher default than the minimum adaptive voltage. Granted, both may work in practice, but, some CPUs have a larger disparity, and when that happens, you need a larger offset to reduce the voltage to the desired value (which can cause a few side effects). Of course, at the same offset and load voltage values, there's no difference between both modes. At higher CPU ratios (if some offset voltage must be used) the disparity usually favors use of adaptive mode.

This should clear up the confusion.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) No. The minimum adaptive voltage for a given ratio is defined by the CPU. To go below that value, you need a negative offset. Negative offsets currently do not work, and that's what's being patched. I have an alpha build for the Apex that fixes this, will be rolled out to other boards soon (I hope).

2) Consider this:

My CPU at 49X defaults to 1.33V for Vcore if I use a pure offset mode and the system is under full load.

If the CPU is stable at 1.22V, I need a negative offset of 0.06V with adaptive voltage, yet I need to use 0.09V with offset.

Therein lies the rub. Offset often defaults to a higher default than the minimum adaptive voltage. Granted, both may work in practice, but, some CPUs have a larger disparity, and when that happens, you need a larger offset to reduce the voltage to the desired value (which can cause a few side effects). Of course, at the same offset and load voltage values, there's no difference between both modes. At higher CPU ratios (if some offset voltage must be used) the disparity usually favors use of adaptive mode.

-Raja

yep thats true my chip needs 1.32v for 5 ghz to be stable wich i do not need a - offset when using adaptive my stock vid built i nchip is perfect for my stabilty i tried to make it lower then 1.32v and you guys are right it doesnt work . hope it gets patched for people i lucked out with stock vid being stable lol . 1.32v for 5 ghz so i guess that why i wasnt seeing the bug .
if i had a golden 1.26v 5 ghz 8700k sample i would need that patched asap for using adaptive lol sry i didnt under stand the first time i get what you guys are saying now .

side not : offset mode has always beeen a pain in the are so for me on any baord specialy gigabyte sicne always over volt and over shoot in offset mode its not so bad on this asus baord but i never had adaptive mode before since t his asus x hero so im loving adaptive so far :rolleyes::cool:
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

Raja@ASUS wrote:

2) Consider this:

-Raja

It does clear up my confusion. Thanks!

However, I understand it on paper better than I do in real world scenarios. When I run a stock offset mode (+ and Auto for offset) Im seeing the exact same voltages and VID as stock adaptive mode (no change to default additional turbo voltage and Auto for offset). These two modes do not differ in voltages at 4.8 and 4.9. I tried 5.0, but I immediately BSOD during cinebench at "stock" offset and adaptive.

So in theory I do understand that offset tends to run higher than adaptive, therefore you need a larger, potentially destabilizing, negative offset to compensate.

Just to make sure I'm doing it properly, how do you find the default load voltages for both modes? I'm doing it by keeping my settings as I posted in the OP, but just changing the mode to offset or adaptive and leaving their respective settings on auto. Is that the correct method. I'm using CPUz to see the VCore applied and CoreTemp to see the VID.

Thanks for everyone's knowledge and replies!

Raja
Level 13
You'll need to load the cpu with either a stress test or the heaviest load you run on the system. The vid stack also varies from cpu to cpu. The example I laid out above is for my cpu and those load values are real. And you'll also need to set the adaptive voltage. Try 1.20V with a 49x cpu ratio. It will default to something higher. Leaving adaptive on auto isn't the way to make a comparison, as you're dealing with a different mechanism to offset.