cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G75VW DC Power Jack Board - How to do Testing Using Multimeter?

bilals
Level 7
Hello there !!

Below is an image of the DC Power Jack Board of my ASUS G75VW laptop. How do i test it using a multimeter ? Which are the positive and negative terminals?

I would like to check the voltage across the power jack board while my laptop charger is connected. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

bilals
Level 7
Any help would be appreciated.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

I'm not sure of the answer either, but you should be able to figure it out using the method below.

Try using the ohm meter function of the multimeter first to find out how the pins are connected to the DC jack.

Hold one end of the 'ohm meter' to the DC jack pin you want to check and find the pin on the board that shows zero ohms which should indicate they are connected.

Once you know which pin is connected to the DC jack locations and where the ground pin is located, you can switch to the volt meter function to check voltages.

Also, the label under your AC adapter should indicate the center pin is positive while the outer shell is ground.

Feel free to check around or get more opinions in case I'm wrong about any of this.

put a lead on any of the copper points which are ground you may have to scratch a little to actually be able to hit the point as they sometimes put some sort of residue over it. and then start prodding around with the other till you see some numbers pop up on the multimeter, doesn't matter which lead really it will just show up either as positive or negative on the meter,

C4RN1
Level 9
With this dc jack there's only one hot pin, all others are grounding points.

Test with your multimeter, dc power. Red lead goes to red pin, black lead goes to the cage or any of the other pins. Test for 12+V

cl-Albert
C4RN1 wrote:

Test with your multimeter, dc power. Red lead goes to red pin, black lead goes to the cage or any of the other pins. Test for 12+V

Thanks for the suggestion C4RN1.

May not be too big of a deal, but I believe the AC adapter should be outputting 19V rather than 12V, so the customer would test for 19V if it matters?
If this sounds right and you want to edit your post, I'll delete this one so nobody will know what happened 😉 .

I'm not sure if there is any voltage drop from the 19V at the adapter output to 12V at that pin though, so apologies if I'm wrong, but guessing it happens somewhere else on the motherboard 🙂 .

Edit: Actually I believe the motherboard may use a 5V power rail (I may be wrong, but I don't think it is 12V anyway).

cl-Albert wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion C4RN1.

May not be too big of a deal, but I believe the AC adapter should be outputting 19V rather than 12V, so the customer would test for 19V if it matters?
If this sounds right and you want to edit your post, I'll delete this one so nobody will know what happened 😉 .

I'm not sure if there is any voltage drop from the 19V at the adapter output to 12V at that pin though, so apologies if I'm wrong, but guessing it happens somewhere else on the motherboard 🙂 .

Yes should be 19+v, I haven't done hardware repairs in a long time now that I work for a fortune 50 company...

You can leave it up.

cl-Albert
C4RN1 wrote:
Yes should be 19+v, I haven't done hardware repairs in a long time now that I work for a fortune 50 company...

You can leave it up.

Okay, thanks for the help and confirmation anyway. Apologize for nitpicking, but Just didn't want there to be any confusion about this part if it could be avoided.

C4RN1
Level 9