cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA'd GL702VS - This will be a docu thread on the process and experience

SpookyWatcher
Level 7
**** Best experience I have ever had with any company ****

So I was disconnecting the battery on my GL702VS ROG Laptop. In the process the entire molex connector easily and without effort ripped right off the mobo. Laptop still worked but under windows performance was degraded due to unreliable voltages. So I decided to ship it off to have it fixed. It was my screw up and I will be paying for the repairs I'm sure. Laptop was purchased Mar 2017. But I had drilled holes in the bottom case and repasted several times...So I know this will not be warrantied.

Other than mentioned...Laptop is in impeccable pristine perfect condition. Screen is a 120hz with NO dead pixels. No stuck pixels. No screen scratches or blemishes of any kind. No light bleed. Laptop has zero other defects of any kind.

I took out both the m2 ssd and the spinning hdd. I wrapped the laptop in micro fiber towels from costco and packaged it better than they recommended in the process. I also included the power supply in the shipment as the battery was discharging even when plugged in (which was why I was trying to disconnect the battery in the first place) to test the power supply. The following will be the continually updated time line. Let's see how Asus does! Good Luck to me. What am I expecting (hoping) to get out of this. A repaired mobo and possibly repaired power supply (at my cost of course) and everything else to be exactly as I shipped it. No screen damage. No missing parts etc...

Timeline:

Feb 1st - Shipped to Grapevine Tx via UPS (insured for $2000) - Cost = $93 for shipping.

Feb 6th - Delivery confirmed and signed for by "Johnson" (according to UPS website)

Feb 8th - RMA status still shows "RMA has been created but we have not received your product. Please contact ASUS for assistance." (worries me a bit that they don't show it received yet)

**Update**

Feb 8th - RMA status now shows "We have received your product." (just minutes after I posted this thread)

** Update **

Feb 12th - Status shows in repair. See post below.

** Update **

Feb 13th - Invoice sent to me for $441.78 to include taxes and shipping. I have zero problem with this bill. But read more of the invoice and it said I could use the ADP (accidental damage program) this one time. So I started that process. See post below.

** Update **

Feb 14th - received email confirming that my RMA will be taken care of by the ADP. See post below

** Update **

Feb 17th - laptop has shipped to me.

*** Update ***

Feb 26th - Received Laptop (several days ago) in perfect condition. My screen was flawless (just like I shipped it). The mobo was either repaired or replaced...I honestly cannot tell. I think it was just replaced because the Bios is 306 (I was running 307) But it looks like my paste job and fans (they were missing that foamy seal on the fan case). Also received new power supply. See below for complete details.
9 REPLIES 9

SpookyWatcher
Level 7
*** Update ***

Feb 12th - My product number shown on the RMA status page changed from " [Notebook] GL702VS " (which is correct one) to " [Notebook] GL702VI " Not sure what VI is. ** Edit ** just google'd VI and it is a GTX1080 version. hmmmm Ok...twist my arm, I'll take it. 😉

Also Status now shows " Your product is currently in repair. "

I have not been contacted yet as to how much the repairs will cost...as long as it is not the price of a new gaming laptop I guess that's ok.

At least things seem to be moving at a pretty good clip.

FastM
Level 8
Just curious, did you push back the little metal clip that locks down the battery power connector first?

Yes...but it appeared that there were still two black plastic "tabs" on either side that sit in the detent/holes as another locking type of setup. So as I was pulling the connector laterally out of the molex it literally without effort...came right off the mobo. I suspect that was why I was having power problems. Not sure...

Again...I know it was my screw up...so no big deal for me to pay. Also hoping others may read this and will be very careful with that connector.

FastM
Level 8
yeah its why I was asking. I will be very gentle removing mine from now on haha

*** Update ***

Feb 13 - received an invoice for the repair. $400 for fix. $10 for shipping. $31.78 for taxes. $441.78 grand total.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking in my head it would prolly cost so no big surprise. The BIG surprise is that in the invoice they stated that I am eligible for the ADP (accidental damage program) this one time or I could save it for a later time within the 1 year purchase date.

To use it, I had to click the dispute button and state I would like to use the ADP this time. I have done that. This would be a huge fantastic surprise if that is the case. I have been a lifelong Asus buyer but never have had to RMA anything. I gotta say...so far Asus has been incredible.

** Update **

Within a few minutes, Asus responded that they will be fixing it and it will take approx 3-5 business days. (this is amazing!)

FastM
Level 8
Nice,

Yeah that is a great feature they offer over competitors *

** Update **

Feb 14th - received email confirming that my RMA will be taken care of by the ADP. Quote: "This is just to confirm that your ADP will be utilized and no payment will be needed for this service. " I had called them because the invoice was no longer available to view..and I thought I would have to at least pay for shipping. But got the email confirming all taken care of.

*** Update ***

Feb 17th - My laptop has shipped. Should have it in a few days. So far the customer service has been flawless. I have never had as good of service with any other company.. The final verdict will be when i get and test the laptop.

*** Update ***

Feb 22 - Laptop was caught up in the 3 day weekend. So it should be delivered today. Will test when I get it and look it over and update.

Received the laptop, but couldn't check it out until today due to being out of town. Opened box up and found laptop well packaged. The bottom panel was my panel (I drilled for cooling). And noticed a brand new power supply.

Opened the laptop and the screen was EXACTLY as I had shipped it. It was flawless. They must have done a really good job of protecting it during repair. Took off the bottom panel to install my hdd's and inspect the repair job. I honestly cannot tell if it was repaired or if the mobo was replaced. The fans looked like my fans. I re-taped (with blue painters tape) the gap where fan case meets the heat pipes. Installed the hdd's and left the bottom cover off for first boot.

Booted first time but noticed that Bios was 306 ( I was running 307 ) so don't know if that is because the mobo was replaced or because they re-flashed to 306. I suspect it's a new/different mobo so I was/am concerned about the temps. I did a really great paste job so I would have to test under load.

Booted to windows first then shut down and booted to Linux. No problems with either. Then booted back to windows and loaded Intel Xtreme Tuning utility to undervolt by -.125 and stress test to test the temps. Both fans ran normal and with a 30% boost max temp of cpu under load was 58 degs (with bottom cover off). Then while still stressing cpu...loaded furmark and tortured the gpu. Max cpu temp was 72 deg and max gpu was 62 degs. So if this not my mobo they did a great job with the paste!

One big thing that I noticed while stressing the cpu and gpu at the same time, the power supply never even felt warm. (it was also having to charge the battery at the same time). This is huge. It tells me that the power supply is a new version and maybe can handle the power requirements better.

As a recap...I broke the darn thing. Ripped the battery molex connector right off the mobo and I voided my warranty by redo'ing the paste and drilling hole in bottom panel. Even with all that..Asus covered the repair under the Accidental Damage Program.

This has been without question the Best experience I have ever had dealing with a company in this nature. Asus...You have done an incredible and wonderful job. I have purchased A LOT of Asus products and this experience just proves I made the right choice supporting you and your products. There is no doubt my next desktop build will be plastered by Asus components and I will continue to buy Asus laptops.

Big mad dog props to Asus for the best experience ever.

Thanks Asus

SpookyWatcher