cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my CPU Dead?

CMDR_Maz
Level 7
Hello Everyone

So, I recently got a new PC with a i7 8700k, Corsair DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB RAM, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB SSD, ASUS GTX 1070Ti Strix and a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Mobo at first.
After like 2 Weeks of working relatively well (I had a problem once that it won't post already but I managed to get it up again) it crashed during a Game of RSS.
The Screen Froze and my Second screen showed Black.
I wasn't able to get it up again since Monday Evening.
The Motherboard showed a error 4F but this one wasn't defined in the Manual so I contacted the Gigabyte support which told me that I have to reset the CMOS (Which I already did like 10 Times).
I managed to get in to the BIOS two times but every time i got in, the System froze and crashed again.

My first guess was that the Motherboard was faulty, so I got myself a Maximus X Hero to try it out.

This time I didn't put my Video Card in and only used the Onboard Graphics. --> Same Result

I used different RAM Slots and also only with a single module and still not able to post.
The Board shows me the Q-Code 09, 62 or sometimes 98.

Does Anyone have an Idea what component is faulty or if I got a second dead motherboard

Thanks a lot!

Maz
8 REPLIES 8

Flint018
Level 7
CMDR_Maz wrote:
Hello Everyone

So, I recently got a new PC with a i7 8700k, Corsair DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB RAM, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB SSD, ASUS GTX 1070Ti Strix and a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Mobo at first.
After like 2 Weeks of working relatively well (I had a problem once that it won't post already but I managed to get it up again) it crashed during a Game of RSS.
The Screen Froze and my Second screen showed Black.
I wasn't able to get it up again since Monday Evening.
The Motherboard showed a error 4F but this one wasn't defined in the Manual so I contacted the Gigabyte support which told me that I have to reset the CMOS (Which I already did like 10 Times).
I managed to get in to the BIOS two times but every time i got in, the System froze and crashed again.

My first guess was that the Motherboard was faulty, so I got myself a Maximus X Hero to try it out.

This time I didn't put my Video Card in and only used the Onboard Graphics. --> Same Result

I used different RAM Slots and also only with a single module and still not able to post.
The Board shows me the Q-Code 09, 62 or sometimes 98.

Does Anyone have an Idea what component is faulty or if I got a second dead motherboard

Thanks a lot!

Maz

YOU should go to Gigabyte forums and ask them this. this might be an existing issue with their mobo.

Flint018 wrote:
YOU should go to Gigabyte forums and ask them this. this might be an existing issue with their mobo.

Well I exchanged my Motherboard to a ASUS Maximus X Hero, and the problem still persists.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Could you get the exact debug code on the mobo?

ottoyu34 wrote:
Could you get the exact debug code on the mobo?

The Codes vary between 09, 62 and sometimes 98
Also I tried doing a BIOS Flashback with the Latest BIOS three times yesterday evening.

Feklar
Level 8
If you have access to different set of memory and a power supply, those would be two things I would check to rule them out. Two new motherboards from two different companies going bad so early is rare. Power supply issues can cause unusual problems sometimes.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
If you have access to different set of memory and a power supply, those would be two things I would check to rule them out. Two new motherboards from two different companies going bad so early is rare. Power supply issues can cause unusual problems sometimes.

Thank you!

I will Try that for sure!

Might have to do that tomorrow because I don't have time right now

Deepcuts
Level 10
CMDR_Maz wrote:

HERO as 2nd choice! Blasphemy!
It is karma.

Hello Guys

So the CPU was really dead.
I am going to refund the gigabyte boar because most of the features didn't work any way and I had better experience with asus products over all.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers