cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B350-I M.2 Help

Venom84
Level 7
Morning all,

I'm after a little bit of help and support if possible please (apologies if this is the wrong place to post or I have missed a thread already answering this question). I have recently bought the Asus B350-I motherboard and paired it with a Ryzen 1600. The board comes with X2 M.2 two ports and as such I thought it would be a good idea to get a 1TB Crucial MX300 (not an NVME drive), However, originally I installed it in slot 2 (on the back of the board) and no matter what I did I could not get the motherboard to detect the drive. I then tried the drive in slot 1 (on the front of the board alongside the audio combo) and hey presto the drive was detected and works.

My question then is does slot 2 not support not support sata based drives? If so it seems a bit of a waste as I would presume NVME drives get hotter and therefore it would be beneficial of it to be housed in slot 1 (with the thermal pad and heatsink) and the sata based drive housed on the back?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciate as this issue is driving me crazy at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

ottoyu34
Level 9
Might be a setting in the BIOS?

Hi OTTOYU34,

Thank you for the quick response, I have tried to look around the BIOS and change any appropriate settings (I've ensured it's up to date also) however I have had no joy.

I did do some research and came across a video on youtube suggesting I go into the BIOS -> Advanced -> Onboard devices configuration - and change the PCI mode to M.2 mode. However, when I go into the bios there is no PCI option within the onboard devices section.

Addition - having just gone back into my motherboard settings I still can't see the setting mentioned above, however while I was looking around I did notice that in advanced -> SATA Configuration all SATA6G ports were disabled. Perhaps if I turn them all on and try again? Although I'm still puzzled how the drive is working in slot one if this is the issue?

For anyone thats interested -

After a long chat with an Asus technician he has told me that the bottom slot (on the underside of the board) does not support the SAtA protocol and only supports PCIE. The M.2 drive I have (MX300 1TB) is a SATA based drive so I can only install it in the top slot.

In my opinion thats a bad design as the PCIE drives tend to get hotter and therefore would benefit from the heat sink on the top side of the motherboard. With the SATA drives generally operating cooler I think they should have been controlled by the bottom slot (without a heatsink and reduced air flow).