cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X399 Strix Fans stop spinning after long system uptime. COV Fan is uncontrolable.

Distar
Level 7
My Threadripper X399 Strix system is running really good and reliable since i set it up in december but the fans are causing trouble:

The VRM (Cov) fan is not controllable. No matter what i set in BIOS it spins up to full speed after a while. I used a direct hardware side solution to get rid of that fan...

The main problem is that all fans, including CPU and case fans stop working after a long system uptime (at least a week or more). It happened three times to me until now, that i noticed CPU temperature at >90°C and checking HWInfo showed Threadripper emergency underclocked to 500 Mhz on all cores. The system was still stable then but slow of course. Checking the case, all fans had completly stopped despite HWInfo still showing the fans as spinning.

I hope you find a fix for that problem with the next BIOS. Should i use another way for bug reporting than this forum?

I use the latest BIOS from your website: 0402 2017/9/29
19 REPLIES 19

gupsterg
Level 13
The Super IO chip does not like multiple apps accessing it. This can cause PWM issues. For example if I have HWINFO monitoring a stress test and then open CPU-Z it can cause an issue with Super IO chip. The "corruption" may not exhibit PWM issue for x period for that post but it will occur in my testing. If I repost after multiple apps have accessed Super IO chip there will be on issue. Programs like AIDA64, CPU-Z, can still be accessing Super IO chip in background even when not on relevant screen of app.

I did 3 sessions of ~72hrs back to back one week. 1st where I used what ever I liked, I had issues. 2nd I used only HWINFO and CPU-Z at times, I had issues. 3rd I stuck to one app, HWINFO only.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

I’m experiencing the same problems too and it has occurred over 10 times since I bought the Strix X399-E last October.

The VRM/COV fan would spin up to max RPM and stays that way even after restarting the system. Only a cold boot would return the COV fan back to normal. The Zenith X399 boards also have issues with the COV fan.

Today, my system shut off suddenly while I was watching a 720p movie. Besides that, there weren’t any other apps running so the system was pretty much idle. I doubt the cause for this was due to a power surge as we rarely get that. I suspected it was the board’s fan controllers failing again so I immediately I turned the system back on to check the temps. I found the CPU was around 70°C and was decreasing quite rapidly back down to my idle temp, 32°C. My usual load temps are around 58°C, and watching a low res movie wouldn’t stress out a 1950X with an Enermax LiqTech 360 to over 70°C. So it only makes sense that the fans and pump had stopped, the CPU temps rose too high and in order to protect the system, it shut everything off immediately. While I agree with Gupsterg and have found that using multiple apps that monitor your hardware increases the likelihood of PWM issues—and I’ve stuck to using just HWiNFO ever since—however in this case I wasn’t using any of those apps.

Also, it doesn’t take a long system up time for the motherboard’s fan controllers to malfunction either as I’ve found in a Realbench stress test I did. After cold booting the system and launching Realbench, the fans failed to ramp up as it should when I began the test and stayed at a low RPM. The CPU temps rose to 78°C before I aborted it.

In another instance, the CPU and case fans malfunctioned during 3D rendering and it kept spinning at max RPM 10 minutes after I’ve closed the app and left the system idle. Going into sleep mode temporarily and waking the system would usually return fans to normal.

I use Aura’s temperature preset and even that gets bugged, and stays red when it shouldn’t be.

So from my experience the fans can malfunction at any moment, it can stop completely or freeze at a certain RPM, under heavy stress or when idle. Aside from the aforementioned bugs, my system is stable. I currently run my Threadripper 1950X at stock, 3600MHz memory at 2666MHz, though I have stress tested and passed reliably at 4.0GHz/3200MHz. It has passed 14 hours of Memtest (DOS), 20 hours of HCI Memtest (Windows), hours of Realbench, I’ve done way too many stress tests, thanks to the confusing fan malfunctioning bug, to confirm that my RAM and everything is 100% stable, and that the problem points towards the BIOS (0402). It’s been over 4 months since we got an official BIOS update. Until they’ve fixed these major problems, I would not be recommending this board to anyone.

gupsterg
Level 13
So do you have AURA/Ai suite running on rig? if so that does also qualify as multiple apps accessing Super IO chip.

I can only say I had 1x stuck low water pump since having TR/ASUS ZE since launch, equalling 40C+ water loop temp. Even then rig survived and loop did not over heat/leak. 2-3 times I have had stuck middle PWM%, out of those times I was also trying to induce it. I do not use AURA/Ai suite.

I do a lot of hours usage, my rig in past few days has only had few hours down time TBH and that was to cool down phase to cure TIM from a block change.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

Oh yeah, you’re right. I totally overlooked that part of Aura as I only saw that as a basic lighting app. No, I didn’t install AI Suite, just Aura. So the sudden shut down I had today, I had just Aura running—no HWiNFO or anything. Are you saying Aura alone counts as multiple apps?

Seriously, this board is more picky than my ex-girlfriend.

gupsterg
Level 13
My bad on AURA :o, from what it does, etc it wouldn't be using Super IO chip IMO. I just revisited the app now. I only used it once to set board to static red when installed it back in Sep 17 and wiped OS which had it.

Da Music video

No worries. Thanks for your input though. I thought you were onto something as the Smart>Temperature preset in Aura needs to read the temps of the CPU to adjust its lighting. As little as it is, I thought that still counted towards accessing the super IO chip—I don't know.

A useful feature, but I might disable/uninstall it and see if that helps. I’ll report back after a while. I went with the non-RGB TridentZ as well since the RGB ones were reported to cause issues and weren't great with tight timings.

gupsterg
Level 13
Damn that would, sorry I did not know it reads temp of CPU. I just looked at some presets 😮 , my bad again :rolleyes: .

Anything that needs to show a voltage, temperature, etc (ie related to CPU/RAM/VRM, the "platform") is accessing Super IO chip. In HWINFO whatever is under ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME (ITE IT8665E) and ASUS EC is all from Super IO chip. So any other app that accesses any of the same info is accessing Super IO chip. In my setup everything in red is Super IO chip, green is CPU SMU AFAIK.

ITE IT8665E is the Super IO chip used on ASUS AM4/sTR4 mobos.

Da Music video

Hahaha, it’s all good. The lights will be green if CPU temps are below 40°C, red if above 60°C, and yellow for anything in between. Those values can be adjusted.

But damn this Super IO chip! It’s not really “Super” if it can’t handle more than one app. This board makes me want to pull my hair out. Come on ASUS, almost 5 months without a BIOS update/fix.

Thanks, I appreciate your help. +Rep for the input and the ROG wallpaper I can see there.