No video on first PCI-E slot please assist

VBFD034
Level 7
Hello,

I just finished my first Thredripper build with the following hardware:

MB: Asus ROG x399 Zenith Extreme
CPU: Ryzen Thredripper 1920
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celcius S36, fans switched out for Corsair ML120
RAM: 8x DDR4 G.Skill Trident 8GB (currently running at 1066Mhz)
GPU: 2x Asus ROG Strix 1080ti
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
BOOT DISK: Samsung 960 m.2 1TB
STORAGE: 4x intel 540 SSD 1TB in RAID0 using Windows Disk Management (because raid over the board is non-functional, more on that later)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Case Cooling: 2x Corsair ML140 intake (plus 3 from cpu rad cooling), 3x Corsair ML120 exhaust
Fan control: Corsair link via Commander Mini Pro case keeps positive pressure from 400rmp to 2400rpm

Although this post is specific to my video issue any advice on my build is appreciated.

As always I'm super impressed with the ASUS build quality of the board and the GPU's. I have not done an AMD build for over 10 years, and I'm less impressed about the drivers and the chipset. It took a substantial amount of research to install the drivers in the correct order so they were all functional and not crashing during install or having one cash on boot after installing another one etc.. That being said all drivers and utility/software is now installed and working including Asus Aura which many people seem to have just given up on.

Now to the issue at hand. I have NO video output on my first x16 PCI-e slot. I called Asus tech support and they did some VERY basic trouble shooting with me and called the board DOA and had me return it to the place of purchase. At the sales location they are an authorized Asus repair facility so they tested the board and deemed it completely nominal. I discussed my issues and my trouble shooting with the tech and he decided to swap out my board for a new one anyway. Still even with a new board the problem persists.

I will list my current trouble shooting to date:
Updated to BIOS to 902
Downgraded the BIOS to 804
Downgraded the BIOS to 701
Updated to BIOS to 902
Removed SLI configuration to single GPU
Swapped out the GPU for another the exact same
Swapped out the GPU from a 1080ti to a 980ti
Removed all but 1 RAM stick
Disconnected all SATA drives
Disconnected USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices
Removed m.2 drive
Turned off PCI-e Slots 2-4 via dip switch
Toggled the dip switch for PCI-e slot 1

Here is what is working:
Any single GPU in slots 2, 3, or 4
SLI in configuration in 2-4 at 8x 8x (this is what I'm currently running and i had to disable the u.2 port to bump up slot 4 to 8x from 4x.)

There was a no video issue from VGA cards if an M.2 was installed due to lack of resources however it was addressed in BIOS upgrade 503

Any assistance would be appreciated level 2 tech support from Asus is working on this but to no avail thus far. I have not yet found any literature online from anyone else having this issue.

Thank you very much in advance!
19 REPLIES 19

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Since the PCIe controlers are on the CPU that might be the issue if two boards have same behaviour with your 1920X..

I half remember seeing that the first slot is one controller and the lower slots another but cant find the diagram....

Can you test if the dimm2 slot works for ssds?

Although I also cannot find that diagram I know exactly what your talking about. I will move the m.2 to the upper slot on Monday and let you know my findings. Thank you for this excellent suggestion. I don't have any hopes for this because when I brought this board into the repair shop I was not yet convinced that it was the board and had my suspicions that it could be the CPU so i left my CPU on the board and it was tested with my CPU. The fellow doing the work didn't even have a TR4 compatible CPU at his disposal to use and mentioned that he didn't want to open once from the sales floor so I'm pretty sure the CPU is fine.

Thanks again and I will post my findings around lunch on Monday.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I half remember seeing that the first slot is one controller and the lower slots another but cant find the diagram....

If it helps,1950:

Youre very interesting thread about Firesrike and Threadripper.... following...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand exactly...or maybe I do....so the tech guy tried the same board and CPU with another GPU and it worked? and then your CPU in a new board also worked for him....it's just your GPUs that don't work in first slot?

Or did he have a different drive with OS on it or was he using your install?

Can you tell us the exact kit of RAM...is it a single kit? I ask because the crashing drivers etc. on install doesn't sound normal...maybe OS is corrupted? Did you do OS install at BIOS defaults or with XMP enabled?

Sorry...lot of questions occurred to me this morning:o

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey squawker! Thanks...I was looking for that half an hour yesterday!

But OK it's not only first slot ...so in this case if GPU works in second it should work in first :confused:

Oh hang on, if it's two x16 controllers per die then maybe one of them is fubar...

Somewhat similar setup, maybe not as decked out:

MB: Asus ROG x399 Zenith Extreme (BIOS 0902)
CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1950
CPU Cooler: EKWB MLC 360mm Radiator and TR Water block
RAM: 4x DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 16GB (currently running at 3200Mhz)
GPU: 1x Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti, 1xAsus GTX 710
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
BOOT DISK: 2 x Samsung 960 m.2 512GB (in M.2_1(Socket 3) and DIMM2)
STORAGE: 1 x WD Blue 4TB (SATA 1)
Case: NZXT H700i (it's a tight fit, but doable)
Case Cooling: 4 x NZXT default case fans
Fan control: Motherboard ext_fan

Having same issue, when both cards are installed, on boot it has an issue with producing video out on the 1080ti, regardless of PCI-E slot used (however is fine when it is the sole card).

My initial investigation into this was that maybe CSM settings that dictate how UEFI finds and initialises devices might be creating a problem here. However further investigation reveals two observations, the first is that the motherboard isn't able to read any bios information from the 1080ti itself (as opposed to the GTX 710) from within bios, or through windows.

My second observation is when booted into linux, the syslog is flooded with MSI and AER messages. This makes me wonder if the motherboard and video card are having issues communicating on the bus (regardless of driver being nouveau or nvidia).

What I haven't done is tried this card in another computer to compare results. Since putting the dual cards in, I also haven't gotten linux to successfully boot. It's also interesting to see the breakdown of lanes in the diagram provided, as now I'm wondering what bios settings I have set that might effect communication across the fabric that prevents the monitor coming up at boot (assuming that is the problem).

Would be really good to get some more information on this and have it resolved.

Salohcin wrote:
however is fine when it is the sole card

This really doesn't sound like the same problem then. Probably best to open a new thread 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This really doesn't sound like the same problem then. Probably best to open a new thread 🙂

Love the quick diagnosis and conclusion, will do if this goes nowhere.

@VBFD034 - It may be worth trying to toggle the CSM settings in BIOS (under the boot menu) and seeing if this helps. I initially found I was having the same issue as you, and this helped resolve the problem in particular of no output on the first PCI-E slot (regardless of whether it was the sole card or not).

Also, does the BIOS actually detect the card (regardless of whether there is video output on it or not)? Under the tools menu in BIOS is a menu entry for "Graphics Card Information". On mine, it recognises there is something in the slot (regardless of whether it works or not), but doesn't display any information for the 1080ti.

Further Trouble Shooting:

1) Changed out my g.skill memory to 1 stick of corsair memory that is on the QVL in slot A1.

2) Moved the M.2 to the dimm.2 slot

3) Toggled the CSM settings

4) I've removed my PSU and cables and the two GPUS and installed them in my x299 system and the x299 system works perfectly.

No Change thus far.

I question the question about the video card information being displayed in the BIOS. When my video card is in slot 1 I have no video therefor I cannot see anything in the BIOS so I'm unsure of how I'm supposed to give you this information.

Arne Saknussemm you had asked some other questions I will answer below:

1) My board and CPU worked for the technician. He used his own GPU and RAM. He then installed my CPU into a new board and tested that as well and it worked so i took that set up home. New board old CPU.

2) I did not bring my m.2 into the store and I don't believe the technician ever booted into windows as the OS has nothing to do with this problem?

3) RAM kit is in the system is 2 32gig kits of 3200Mhz. I have not enabled XMP as I want the system working properly before I do any over clocking. So it's currently running at 1066Mhz naively. This ram is running in many other zenith extreme x399 systems according to pc part picker.

Anyone have any other trouble shooting ideas?