cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Code upgrade

kahless
Level 7
hello,

I currently own an X99 Deluxe motherboard and have two Titan X Pascal GPU's that I game in 4K with. It has a 5930K CPU at 4.6ghz. I am considering getting the Maximus X Code board with 8700K to run at 5ghz. Since my curent cpu/board runs my gpu's in 16X/16X will I actually lose performance to go to a cpu/board that runs them 8X/8X since I run high end gpu's with 4K
17 REPLIES 17

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This is the only article I've seen of late that addresses this topic

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Titan-X-Performance-PCI-E-3-0-x8-vs-x16-851/

but it's a comparison on x99 only not with a newer platform...

The answer is probably "depends"...as always 😮

kahless
Level 7
I plan to give up SLI entirely with the next gen gpu's like Ampere. So I would be stuck on SLI until probably this summer when a 2080Ti comes up.

In the meantime, do you think this would be a bit of an upgrade (SLI questional performance loss aside)? I run my X99 with 3200mhz ram, 16-18-38 and a 4.6ghz cpu. The Z370 would have 3600mhz ram 16-16-28 and be at 5ghz.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It's funny but I posted a thread about this recently https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99341-SLI-is-dead-to-me!

I got a G-Sync monitor which made SLI pretty redundant for me given that it's all but redundant to Nvidia and developers too...

Like you say...not long to go before single GPU 4K at ultra is on well on the cards...

The upgrade...I'm not sure...I wonder if it isn't a side-grade...which is always cool if you want something new to play with...but it's dual channel not quad on RAM and PCIe x8 instead of 16 on one hand....CPU IPC will increase on the other...hard one to call...

Spectre patching might affect previous gen CPUs more than more recent ones...

kahless
Level 7
Yes, I have felt it is a bit of a side grade. I am only gaming on it so i'm not sure if i'm too worried about going dual channel from quad channel is too big of a deal. But yes, mainly it is something new to play around with. Plus I love the look of the Code board. Just don't want to let my desire to have something new to play with mean I actually end up with "less" of a system.

I have an 8700K and Hero board already on another one of my PC's and love it. Makes my X99 system feel like a dinosaur.

Been a long time loyal SLI purchaser but, like you, I am tired of the 2nd gpu sitting there doing nothing. The few games that do support it, suck, the good one's don't support it lol. A 1080Ti I have on my separate 8700K system handles 4K gaming quite well. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything not having a 2nd 1080Ti on it.

That is why I think the 8700K system makes sense in away over my X99 because even though I would put both Titan X's on it, the 2nd one would sit there doing nothing anyways. The occasional game I do find that runs SLI, well its still better then 1 even at 8x/8x.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah...I'm sure x8x8 is like a whisker under x16x16 at Gen 3.0 and for most games I don't reckon it will mean anything. And newer is generally better...you'll be saving power at least...

Less?.. definitely not so go for it...why not...I recently traded in my Haswell E...maybe no real need but you got to have something new to play with once in a while!:D

kahless
Level 7
Thanks for the advice! I may do it yet. Is the SLI spacing the same between X99 Deluxe and Maximus X Code?

kahless wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I may do it yet. Is the SLI spacing the same between X99 Deluxe and Maximus X Code?

Currently have gtx 1070 in SLI with Maximus X Code carried over from the x99 Asus RE V10.....there is little to no difference in SLI perfromance.....X99 HB budge is a 4 slot ...so...u will need a 3 slot HB SLI bridge for the X Code
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Pretty sure it's not...when I went mainstream I had to redo the parallel tubing between my GPUs and had to use an ugly bridge instead of my ROG eye tripple...I remember that annoyed me! LOL

EDIT: Yeah...looks 3 slot instead of 4

kahless
Level 7
Hmm so on 4 slot you can fit a 3rd gpu between the 2? I can't fit a 3rd GPU between mine on the x99. Are you sure the x99 deluxe is 4 slot?