cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop won't turn on. Power button does nothing [G74SX-DH72]

asuusa
Level 7
I have the g74sx-dh72 which is a pretty old model. Everything was working fine until one day, the laptop was acting up. While the laptop was turned on, even when I didn't press the power button, I get the dialog box below which appears only when the power button is pressed.

If you don't do anything with the option, after about 5 seconds, it force shutdowns your laptop. This happened to me twice and on both occasions, the laptop starts up properly. So, at first I thought I was infected with a virus. So, I started pressing random buttons to see which causes this dialog box to show up. I found out pressing the power button causes it and I left the option hanging for 5 seconds and it forced shutdown. Since then, the laptop refuses to turn on. It does not respond when I press the power button. Interestingly, when I press the "Function button" next to the power button, the laptop turns on with optical drive starting up but black screen. It then shuts off in maybe about 4-5 seconds.

Last night, I disassembled the laptop and cleaned everything up a bit. Now when I put the AC adapter in, the laptop automatically starts up and then turns off 4-5 seconds later . But screen remained blank throughout. Doesn't respond to power button either. Only responds to the function button.

What do you guys thing?

Also:

Here is what I have tried:

- Used magnet to try reset the magnet sensor.
- Remove battery, hold power button about 45-60 seconds.
- Remove rams, HDs.
7 REPLIES 7

davemon50
Level 11
Have you replaced the battery?
Davemon50

C4RN1
Level 9

Anyone know where I can get a G74SX Power Board Rev 2.0 for cheap??? The seller on ebay is charging way too much. IFixit been selling it for about 5.99$ but they out of stock for who knows how long.

tl;dr: The cause may probably be the Power button board.

So, I disassembled the laptop once again trying to diagnose **** instead of ordering a new motherboard. I found that the problem maybe attributed to the Power button board instead of the motherboard. When I have the power button board ribbon disconnected and I put in my AC, the laptop starts up automatically and stays that way with all the fans and LEDs running without automatically shutting itself off. But note that the screen stays black and I am assuming, you need to press the powerbutton specifically for the computer to load the bios and what not.

davemon50 wrote:
Have you replaced the battery?

Nope but I'm pretty sure it's not battery problem.

C4RN1 wrote:
That looks like an express gate window.

Can you still get into windows?

If so try to reinstall the ATK packages and the Express Gate Utility.

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G74SX/HelpDesk_Download/

Yeah can't get into windows man. Laptop shuts off in a few seconds after pressing that Asus button because I don't have that package installed.

asuusa wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a G74SX Power Board Rev 2.0 for cheap??? The seller on ebay is charging way too much. IFixit been selling it for about 5.99$ but they out of stock for who knows how long.

tl;dr: The cause may probably be the Power button board.

So, I disassembled the laptop once again trying to diagnose **** instead of ordering a new motherboard. I found that the problem maybe attributed to the Power button board instead of the motherboard. When I have the power button board ribbon disconnected and I put in my AC, the laptop starts up automatically and stays that way with all the fans and LEDs running without automatically shutting itself off. But note that the screen stays black and I am assuming, you need to press the powerbutton specifically for the computer to load the bios and what not.

Nope but I'm pretty sure it's not battery problem.

Yeah can't get into windows man. Laptop shuts off in a few seconds after pressing that Asus button because I don't have that package installed.

That's probably a power ribbon cable problem, not the power board itself.

Order a new power ribbon cable and see if that fixes your issues. I've seen this happen on other brands of laptops as well as a G series.

After a quick search on ebay I couldn't find just the cable, so your best bet would be to order this board/cable combo. You can return it if it doesn't resolve your issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G74SX-Series-17-3-Laptop-Power-Button-Board-W-Cable-69N0L8Y10D01-01/12...

C4RN1 wrote:
That's probably a power ribbon cable problem, not the power board itself.

Order a new power ribbon cable and see if that fixes your issues. I've seen this happen on other brands of laptops as well as a G series.

After a quick search on ebay I couldn't find just the cable, so your best bet would be to order this board/cable combo. You can return it if it doesn't resolve your issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G74SX-Series-17-3-Laptop-Power-Button-Board-W-Cable-69N0L8Y10D01-01/12...

Thanks for the insights man. Do you know if the cable has to match exactly? Or can I use a cable with similar specs cable that has 10pin, 0.5mm pitch, 150mm length?

Edit: Bought a similar cable with no exact labels and what not. Will post result soon.

bender02
Level 7
My initial impression is you can try any exact match cable. Curious about the results.

Anyone know how I could jump start by shorting pins or something on the motherboard to power on laptop? I am trying to confirm that my power button board is faulty before purchasing a new one.

bender02 wrote:
My initial impression is you can try any exact match cable. Curious about the results.

New ribbon came in. Issue still remains but I think you can use any version of ribbon as long as similar specs one.