ROG Enthusiast Array

1800X goes to 77C after newest BIOS update

Hiho,

I updated the BIOS and everything was stable, memory finally went to 3200Mhz etc.

BUT...

CPU temps went up with same voltages as on 1403. I had max 59C on my 1800X at 4.0Ghz with 0.0625 offset Pstate OC and with newest BIOS, with same settings I'm getting 77-80C AVG!

I tried normal OCing as well, without Pstate with proper settings and temps were still like 75-77C.

Can someone explain what the hell is going on? I flashed back to 1403 and I'm happy it did.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I suspect you are seeing the Sense Mi Skew and Sense Mi Offset default settings difference between an old BIOS and a new one. I haven't tried the latest BIOS, but maybe these settings went from Auto to Disabled, causing the temperature reading to be higher. Try disabling Sense Mi Skew with the 1403 BIOS and see what happens to the temperature.

The actual temperature hasn't changed, the system just estimates the temperature differently.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
    I suspect you are seeing the Sense Mi Skew and Sense Mi Offset default settings difference between an old BIOS and a new one. I haven't tried the latest BIOS, but maybe these settings went from Auto to Disabled, causing the temperature reading to be higher. Try disabling Sense Mi Skew with the 1403 BIOS and see what happens to the temperature.

The actual temperature hasn't changed, the system just estimates the temperature differently.
    I tried that long time ago. I tried every BIOS, even 1201 and nothing. Temps skyrocket up. Corsair approved my RMA of the cooler so it should be fixed shortly.

ROG Enthusiast Array VRBabe81 PC Specs
    VRBabe81 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI Hero X370
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid
    Monitor22" LG 1080p
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500gb
    Storage #2SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR H100i V2 AIO
    CaseFRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R5 Titanium
    Power SupplyCORSAIR HX850W 80+ Platinum
    Keyboard MICROSOFT
    Mouse ALIENWARE
    Headset SONY H.ear On MDR-100ABN Pink
    Mouse Pad ALIENWARE
    OS MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro
    Accessory #1 OCULUS Rift With Touch

What cooler are you using btw? I'm on the same bios as you 1403 as I tried 1501 and it crashed my system then turned off my aio which caused burning smell and smoke from my brand new build. Found out the aio corsair h100i v2 tube was red hot when my pc crashed and the on off button wouldn't work. Luckily no damage and I went back to 1403 with my oc settings and no crash no burning when in vr.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

is the wattage as reported by a program like hwinfo/monitor from the cpu-z team showing roughly the same wattage?

temps are subject to all kinds of sensor nonsense on the ryzen and am4 platform, but wattage is a simple math problem that takes voltage, current, and frequency and multiplies them together. No magic skew factor. Though, you do have to trust the voltage and current measurements. I trust them a lot more than i trust the temp readings.

Assuming your cooler and ambient temp is the same, if you see the same wattage, then you should see the same temp. If you see a wildly different temp but the same wattage, then you know the temp is way inaccurate (though you still dont know which temp is inaccurate). At that point, if you haven't sworn off the platform for being stupid, I would get a laser temp gun (dont you have one already? - they're a necessity) and see which temp is closer to what the gun says. The gun will always show something fairly low compared to on-die, so after the system has had time to equalize at load, i'd fire at the block and the closest temp without going over is the winner (price is right rules i guess).

just an idea to troubleshoot.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array skellattarr PC Specs
    skellattarr PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair vi Hero bios 6301
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1800x
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 4X8 3200MHZ
    Graphics Card #1rog strix gtx 1080
    Sound Cardcreative sound blaster ae-5
    Monitoracer 28inch 4k
    Storage #1Samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/Mushkin Reactor 1tb ssd
    Storage #23x 3tb hhd/segate 10TB drive
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H115i
    CaseThermaltake veiw 71 case
    Power Supplycorsair 1200w
    Keyboard Corsair k95 rgb
    Mouse corsair m65 pro rgb
    Mouse Pad corsair mm800 rgb polaris
    Headset/Speakers logitech 5.1
    OS windows 10 pro

when i first put together my system last summer i used the h80 on my 1800x CPU and when i went into the bios the temps was 90c or higher. then i felt the cooler and it was cool the system would shut off from high temp reading. so i watched a few videos on youtube and found that if you don't have the heat sink flat on the CPU just right if it is even tilted just a little its going to cause CPU over heat so when you tighten down the heat sink do each screw little at a time
    amd ryzen 7 1800x
    CROSSHAIR Vi hero
    Corsair Hydro Series H115i
    G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 32gb 4x8gb
    asus rog strix gtx 1080
    TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb and a 1tb mushkin ssd
    corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
    LG DVD BURNER
    corsair obsidian 750d case