cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1800X goes to 77C after newest BIOS update

TheNaitsyrk
Level 7
Hiho,

I updated the BIOS and everything was stable, memory finally went to 3200Mhz etc.

BUT...

CPU temps went up with same voltages as on 1403. I had max 59C on my 1800X at 4.0Ghz with 0.0625 offset Pstate OC and with newest BIOS, with same settings I'm getting 77-80C AVG!

I tried normal OCing as well, without Pstate with proper settings and temps were still like 75-77C.

Can someone explain what the hell is going on? I flashed back to 1403 and I'm happy it did.
5 REPLIES 5

PeZzy
Level 7
I suspect you are seeing the Sense Mi Skew and Sense Mi Offset default settings difference between an old BIOS and a new one. I haven't tried the latest BIOS, but maybe these settings went from Auto to Disabled, causing the temperature reading to be higher. Try disabling Sense Mi Skew with the 1403 BIOS and see what happens to the temperature.

The actual temperature hasn't changed, the system just estimates the temperature differently.

PeZzy wrote:
I suspect you are seeing the Sense Mi Skew and Sense Mi Offset default settings difference between an old BIOS and a new one. I haven't tried the latest BIOS, but maybe these settings went from Auto to Disabled, causing the temperature reading to be higher. Try disabling Sense Mi Skew with the 1403 BIOS and see what happens to the temperature.

The actual temperature hasn't changed, the system just estimates the temperature differently.

I tried that long time ago. I tried every BIOS, even 1201 and nothing. Temps skyrocket up. Corsair approved my RMA of the cooler so it should be fixed shortly.

VRBabe81
Level 7
What cooler are you using btw? I'm on the same bios as you 1403 as I tried 1501 and it crashed my system then turned off my aio which caused burning smell and smoke from my brand new build. Found out the aio corsair h100i v2 tube was red hot when my pc crashed and the on off button wouldn't work. Luckily no damage and I went back to 1403 with my oc settings and no crash no burning when in vr.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Darth_Ender
Level 9
is the wattage as reported by a program like hwinfo/monitor from the cpu-z team showing roughly the same wattage?

temps are subject to all kinds of sensor nonsense on the ryzen and am4 platform, but wattage is a simple math problem that takes voltage, current, and frequency and multiplies them together. No magic skew factor. Though, you do have to trust the voltage and current measurements. I trust them a lot more than i trust the temp readings.

Assuming your cooler and ambient temp is the same, if you see the same wattage, then you should see the same temp. If you see a wildly different temp but the same wattage, then you know the temp is way inaccurate (though you still dont know which temp is inaccurate). At that point, if you haven't sworn off the platform for being stupid, I would get a laser temp gun (dont you have one already? - they're a necessity) and see which temp is closer to what the gun says. The gun will always show something fairly low compared to on-die, so after the system has had time to equalize at load, i'd fire at the block and the closest temp without going over is the winner (price is right rules i guess).

just an idea to troubleshoot.

skellattarr
Level 10
when i first put together my system last summer i used the h80 on my 1800x CPU and when i went into the bios the temps was 90c or higher. then i felt the cooler and it was cool the system would shut off from high temp reading. so i watched a few videos on youtube and found that if you don't have the heat sink flat on the CPU just right if it is even tilted just a little its going to cause CPU over heat so when you tighten down the heat sink do each screw little at a time
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case