cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased the "Centurion"

spadizzle
Level 7
I own the Steel Series 840 Siberia head set. While I find they are fine for music and daily sound. I do not find them to be a "gaming" head set. The whole up mix to 7.1 through 2 channels doesn't sit well. Plus, I get very minor distortions(default setting) in just about every sound and every time I try to adjust the equalizer, they will function like crap. The speakers will distort like crazy. Can not get any good deepness out of them. Itr can be absolute hell getting the headphones to cooperate over optical or analog connection.

So I purchased the centurion's in hope that having individual sound drivers would alleviate all this and create a better gaming experience.

What connection do yall run the centurions over? analog or optical... etc... Taking forever to receive them also.
3 REPLIES 3

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hope you enjoy your new headset! To use the Centurion, you will need two USB ports free.

If you're interested, try out the beta and join the discussion so we can improve your Centurion experience.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95885-Beta-FW-testing-for-Centurion-7-1/page4#post702780

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hope you enjoy your new headset! To use the Centurion, you will need two USB ports free.

If you're interested, try out the beta and join the discussion so we can improve your Centurion experience.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95885-Beta-FW-testing-for-Centurion-7-1/page4#post702780

No worries on the ports. the Asus board that I have has plenty to spare. Would you care to elaborate why 2 are needed? I was always under the impression that you dont want to use USB to run the Audio?

I will be sure to get in on the beta, thank you for the invite. Frigging headset being delivered from Canada. So wont be here till Thursday. Ordered them last Friday 😐

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Generally, one USB port provides enough power for the DAC and amplifier in the Centurion Audio Station, just like some portable hard drives which require two USB connectors - the second connector gives you better stability and compatibility especially when you are connecting to a laptop. Sometimes 500mA from a single USB port isn't enough to drive the Centurion, up to ~580mA is needed if you turn the volume and lighting up to full. Ports for some devices may be very close or even just below spec.

Depends on how well the audio solution is implemented, having the DAC farther away from other electronics inside your PC or laptop is a good thing since there is less interference. Issues with USB audio are a thing of the past ever since asynchronous audio USB mode in 2007. Some of the best DACs are using USB nowadays.