cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

did i make my a mistake with gl702vs due to overheating?

chuchu12345
Level 7
i bought the asus gl702vs the 75 panel one with 12gb ram for 1300$ and its coming tuesday. the 1070 gpu got my eyes witb that price. but agter i bought it i heard this laptop temps are out of control. is that true? does it get that hot?
11 REPLIES 11

Bourak
Level 7
No u did not make a mistake. It can be easily be managed and kept around 75--80.

how can i keep it that way to be managed 75-80?

Well
First thing is to set the cpu power state to 99% ( from the power options), 2nd thing is to undervolt the cpu ( Start with -100mv and keep going lower up to -150mv till you reach the perfect spot), undervolt the gpu, Crank up the fans to 100%

If you are not using an external monitor i would suggest you limit the FPS in games to your monitors hz, in my case its 120hz so i limit the fps to 130.

these steps are enough to keep your laptop cool, there are some extra stuff like using a cooling pad and the best one is to drill some vent holes in the back cover

Bourak wrote:
Well
First thing is to set the cpu power state to 99% ( from the power options), 2nd thing is to undervolt the cpu ( Start with -100mv and keep going lower up to -150mv till you reach the perfect spot), undervolt the gpu, Crank up the fans to 100%

If you are not using an external monitor i would suggest you limit the FPS in games to your monitors hz, in my case its 120hz so i limit the fps to 130.

these steps are enough to keep your laptop cool, there are some extra stuff like using a cooling pad and the best one is to drill some vent holes in the back cover

I hope i didn't make a mistake buying this laptop. i wanna really thank you for replying to my topic i appreciate it a lot. since when i usually ask for help nobody usually reply to my topics on other websites so i decided to give asus rog forum a shot and i wasn't wrong. I am going to receive the laptop tomorrow afternoon. i hope those reviews are not as real as it sounds on the cooling side. i heard horror stories about people buying this laptop and get their cpu temp to 91c!!! and then throttle. hopefully we won't get to this level.

chuchu12345 wrote:
I hope i didn't make a mistake buying this laptop. i wanna really thank you for replying to my topic i appreciate it a lot. since when i usually ask for help nobody usually reply to my topics on other websites so i decided to give asus rog forum a shot and i wasn't wrong. I am going to receive the laptop tomorrow afternoon. i hope those reviews are not as real as it sounds on the cooling side. i heard horror stories about people buying this laptop and get their cpu temp to 91c!!! and then throttle. hopefully we won't get to this level.

You will reach 91c on stock, but once you undervolt both cpu and gpu and make the cpu state to 99%, you wont hit 80 or higher again 😉

My laptop runs overwatch on high settings and the MAX it hits 70 gpu and 75 cpu.
i undervolted my cpu -110mv
gpu undervolted
cpu 99%
and drilled some very small holes in the back cover for vent

Bourak wrote:
You will reach 91c on stock, but once you undervolt both cpu and gpu and make the cpu state to 99%, you wont hit 80 or higher again 😉

My laptop runs overwatch on high settings and the MAX it hits 70 gpu and 75 cpu.
i undervolted my cpu -110mv
gpu undervolted
cpu 99%
and drilled some very small holes in the back cover for vent

try shadow warrior 2 and see the temps on max

Bourak wrote:
Well

does anyone have a video or pic guide of how to undervolt the gpu i mean people say in text how to do it but no one really shows it in pics or videos can anyone help with this im on Gl702Vs as well 75hz lets see those pics or videos of how to undervolt the gpu thxs

chappmaster wrote:
does anyone have a video or pic guide of how to undervolt the gpu i mean people say in text how to do it but no one really shows it in pics or videos can anyone help with this im on Gl702Vs as well 75hz lets see those pics or videos of how to undervolt the gpu thxs

Install Afterbuner.

- enable Start with windows, start minimied, unlock voltage control, unlock voltage monitoring.

- click the "Startup" button to enable the profile to be applied after a reboot

press ctrl-f

make a flat line all the way across to effectively limit the GPU to 1721mhz @ 800mv. run like this for a couple days in benchmarks and games to make sure your GPU can handle 1721@800mv.

If things go well raise the whole solid line upto say 1759@800mv. if things run well try upping it more.

The idea is to get the GPU running as high MHz possible while limiting it to 800mV.

The 3rd image is my curve that I'm running now. I'm allowing up to 1873@900mV. ( run my fans boosted to 40%, laptop runs on a cooler and I drilled circular holes in the bottom panel so the cpu/gpu fans get direct air).

Important, when playing around with the curve constantly use the apply button (checkmark button) before saving a profile. It kind of auto-adjusts the line each time you press, just something you have to play around with a get used to..

that's it!

chappmaster wrote:

For example, see this thread.

I did not perform undervolting, but I've been monitoring net for info and find some "manuals". Maybe this tips will help you.
For GPU: this, "How to Undervolt" section.
Main points: download use MSI Afterburner (it's free on MSI website), go to "MSI afterburner properties" (gear-form icon under sliders) and select all graphs in "compatibility settings" (as I suggest, we need primary "Unlock voltage control" and ""Unlock volatge monitoring"). Click Apply.

Press Ctrl+F, you will get voltage curve.
Choose point on curve corresponding to nominal voltage (search for voltage curve for yours GPU in internet ad keep in mind that every GPU, even the same cards in same laptop model are unique in terms of allowed undervolt), for example, 1000 mv and (that seems to be important: I find this in two independent sources) first time set frequency you need with Core Clock slider (the entire curve will raise upwards, so you make you GPU handle desired frequency on lower voltage). Showed on this video:

You can see, author lauches GPU-Z bencmark in order to warm up GPU. This is one thing I don't have exact answer, I mean when to do undervolting: when your card is properly warmed up or opposite, I met tips for both variants. However, I more trust latter, that GPU should be fairly cool and not be using GPU Boost 3.0, as it does under load.
Then you can manually drag all other points to the right to your desired voltage so that they all match the frequency at that voltage (i.e. make a flat line for higher voltages). Edit points to the left so they make a smooth transition to the point that you firstly edited with core clock slider: "You don't want to see a large, sharp jump in the curve, as you can actually lose performance that way" (c) that link to reddit. So, the video above is a bit incorrect in that term.

Also, analyse voltage profiles for your GPU that you encounter in internet with a bit of skepticism: aside of sharp transitions mentioned above, it seems (obviously?) to be a bottleneck for frequency on current voltage, so if you set frequency too high, GPU will loose performance, see this thread on reddit.

You also need proper benchmark, and games are better that synthetic.

I did not try all this, but according to onjax thread on this forum (very first link), you can't kill GPU with undervolting. Anytime, you can reset voltage curve to default (icon with rotating arrow next to "MSI afterburner properties").