cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with Firestrike and Threadripper?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Been testing FS on Threadripper :confused:

Graphics scores are where they should be for GPU...physics score on CPU flies with OCd TR

Combined is bugged

GPU usage crawls and total is nothing whatsoever to do with previous tests

This is stock performance on clean install Win 10 and latest drivers

Anyone else seeing this on multicore CPUs? 😞

Are all the conspiracy theories I used to laugh at true??!!
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Strange indeed on the combined score.

It's showing your Titan X which proves the Nvidia driver is installed.

Temps look good ? No throttling anywhere ?

I might try another benchmark to see if it's something specific with Firestrike.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm not sure...I think it's something with Ryzen multicore and Firestrike from clues I've found on the net...

At first I thought it was that windows install...which it was...half...but when I cleaned that up, performance was better....normal in first three tests but combined tanks...GPU is throttled to 50% for most of last test...

It's definitely not temps or OCing...that is stock CPU and GPU....but exactly same happens with stable OCs

I might try a previous driver tomorrow...

Nate152
Your physics score is great and is about 50% higher than my 7700k at 5.2GHz, I don't think it's having a problem reading or utilizing 12 cores/24 threads. Your threadripper is one mighty cpu.

All right let us know after further investigation. 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
Top Firestrike score on HWBOT using ThreadRipper has a physics score of 29,078, no ThreadRipper on Hall of Fame top 100 list
My 8700K @ 5.2 = 22,063 physics score
My 7980XE @ 5.0 = 33,887
I think AMD just doesn't clock high enough

Menthol wrote:
I think AMD just doesn't clock high enough

You reckon higher CPU clock allows more GPU usage you mean Menthol? So in my case 4.2GHz just isn't letting GPU flow...?

Some folk reckon it's a TR architecture problem

Old Nvidia driver GPU OC CPU stock

New Nvidia driver GPU OC CPU stock

New Nvidia driver GPU OC CPU OC

Driver makes little difference as far as I can see...

Compare AMD/Intel

You can see graphics score is slightly lower...I guess the 4.5GHZ 5960X helps vs 4.2GHz AMD (Ignore 3000MHz value in screenie CPU was actually at 4500)

The Physics score is higher for higher core count AMD as you'd expect.

But the combined is inordinately hit by something.

Running the Witcher 3 I get a couple of FPS less (Stock TR CPU) vs my 5960X which is kind of in line with what I see in graphics test results in Firestrike
Definitely not in line with what I see in combined score in Firestrike...so that renders Firestrike redundant as a good measure of system performance...

gupsterg
Level 13
Dunno if it's an architecture issue or how 3DM use CPU. For example my i5 4690K in combined test beats Ryzen 7 :eek:. Threadripper will match a Ryzen 7 IIRC :eek: . Last time if memory serve me well and I looked at data records between i5 4690K vs Ryzen 7 it never had max CPU usage in combined test :eek: .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm not sure what to think...like I say...I've been testing Witcher 3 here and it runs great...If I looked at a Firestrike combined score and judged it's gaming potential on that I'd think Intel was going to give me 70% more fps...

In fact Stock TR gives me a couple less frames than 4.5GHz Haswell E.

I call BS on Firestrike

Menthol
Level 14
Arne,
I have no idea why the combined test is so low, is the CPU throttling during combined test?, why would that cause GPU load to go down?, Is it a calculation error in Firestrike on AMD? Did Intel install meta data on your drive that cannot be erased that says "AMD", oh no you don't Arne

My uneducated guess is something to do with the multiple combined dies not being fully utilized during this test, have you tried disabling cores or hyper threading, or that game mode setting or whatever options AMD TR has just to compare results
Isn't there four dies with only two being utilized, if that's correct maybe it is using only one die, six cores during that particular test, or not utilizing all threads, using actual cores but not hyper threads or whatever it is called on AMD

Menthol wrote:
Did Intel install meta data on your drive that cannot be erased that says "AMD,oh no you don't Arne!"

I was thinking it...you said it! 😄

I haven't tested game mode yet...I should to be at least half thorough...got sidetracked playing with RAM...:o