cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus strix 1080ti and z270e motherboard both started smoking

Toppingpfc
Level 7
I built a gaming pc back in August. Graphics card asus strix gtx 1080ti, mobo asus strix z270e, ram trident z 2x8 gigs, cpu i7-7700k, cooler nzxt kraken x62. My pc worked perfectly until December when it began excessively crashing whenever I tried to game and sometimes when I was just browsing the web. I reinstalled drivers, tested ram, watched temps, reseated components, bought a new power supply to make sure, tested my power supply, reinstalled windows ten times. Still crashes. Until finally my computer wouldn’t boot no matter what I did. I would plug my monitor into my card nothing. Plugged it into the motherboard, nothzing. I filed an rma with asus for the card. I sent them the card. It worked for two days. Then crashing again. I told them this. The support guy said there’s no way it’s the card because they tested it. Last night I turned on my computer with my display plugged into my graphics card. Nothing no bios just black screen. I plugged my display into my motherboard. Same deal black screen no bios. Turned off the computer then I turned it back on heard a pop and smoke come from my motherboard. I talked to asus and I will be shipping the board to them. I hope that my graphics card is not damaged. I popped it into my trusty 5 years old system which has never failed me once or blue screened ever. I push the power button. I hear a whine from my power supply and nothing. I push it again. Nothing, I switch off the power supply. I unplug my graphics card. I press the power button. Suddenly there’s a pop and a brief flash and smoke is rising from the center of my graphics card and it smells awful. I’m losing my mind I sent 1000 dollars to these people and now my whole system is quite possibly fried. And they promised me the card was ok. Is asus liable for frying my components considering that I used them normally? I think there’s a great possibility my motherboard, graphics card, as well as cpu is dead.
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
From the little information you've given, it sounds like the GPU might not have been at fault to begin with, so what the service department told you was quite possibly true. You'll need to RMA the card again and the board at the very least, but this should go without saying. I'd definitely get the PSU tested professionally also - don't use it again until you have.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
From the little information you've given, it sounds like the GPU might not have been at fault to begin with, so what the service department told you was quite possibly true. You'll need to RMA the card again and the board at the very least, but this should go without saying. I'd definitely get the PSU tested professionally also - don't use it again until you have.
*Sorry. I’m trying to be descriptive as possible. I’m going to rma both and I’ll see if I can get both of my power supplies tested.