cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question about reinstallation of Win 10

metacookiebrown
Level 7
For all of you who have your computers installed with Windows 10.

I see all over this forum that when someone is having problems with there motherboard because of the latest updates to the AI Suite, Aura or Bios. That people reinstall windows with a fresh version.

When you do this don't you lose all of the programs you have installed? [like Photoshop, Word, etc]

I know you can always reinstall them but wouldn't that take forever if you have a lot of programs installed?

Advise or guidance on this topic is appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey metacookiebrownie 🙂

Forever no...but sure it's a bit of a hassle...can take a while to reinstall everything....sometimes only choice though.

Have a look here...I've just been getting up to speed myself on making an image of your install to backup from...some good tips...https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99945-Win-DOHs-10

Thanks Arne for the tips on your thread. Will implement them immediately.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Heh...same as me today :o...I had heard of cloning but never really looked into it...today I used that linux tool to image my current install to a spare drive and I'm sure it's going to save me time in the future!

Menthol
Level 14
It is possible to reinstall Win 10 on top of your existing installation to repair corrupted Windows files
I recently lost use of my Wifi printer, I had to transfer files by USB drive to my laptop for printing to the same printer, I tried fixing this issue for a couple days without success.
I downloaded latest Win 10 ver. to a USB drive and reinstalled Win 10 from withing Windows like updating versions, this repaired/replaced my OS while leaving all programs and files in place and I can print again. I assume I corrupted Windows files tweaking/testing memory settings

kkn
Level 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40