cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An awesome new toy at work!

Korth
Level 14
Technically it's not a "toy", it's a "tool", lol. A fairly expensive one.

An LXF-50W "Fiber" laser engraving station, along with a variety of task-specific accessories.
We'll be using it (mostly) to print/burn certain kinds of circuit patterns into certain kinds of parts.

I don't get to play with this laser a whole lot. But I'm looking forward to "cleaning" parts and packages very quickly and very efficiently - with no more messy acid etches or frustrating mechanical subtraction/abrasion in the workshop. This laser can "de-lid" ceramic packages perfectly every time with a process similar to this. It can even "strip" silicon circuit lithography down one layer at a time with finer than 250nm depth resolution. It's fairly state of the art, but there are of course superior tools of this sort available for companies who really need them.

Just thought the potential (and real) applications for these sorts of tools - for semiconductor lithography inspection/analysis/repair/modification, for NVRAM and RAM data recovery, etc - would be interesting to some ROG folks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Korth...you are of course free to burn patterns into your...ahem... parts...just don't post pics OK?

Cool toy :cool:

Korth
Level 14
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet ... still too important and exciting for the guys who are actually supposed to use it for productive things, lol.

Burning off the physical chip packages, right down to exposed lithography, in mere seconds ... that's what interests me!

I'll be sure to link some pics or vids if/when I actually get to do something useful (and non-NDA) with the lasers, haha.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet ... still too important and exciting for the guys who are actually supposed to use it for productive things, lol.

Burning off the physical chip packages, right down to exposed lithography, in mere seconds ... that's what interests me!

I'll be sure to link some pics or vids if/when I actually get to do something useful (and non-NDA) with the lasers, haha.

I believe that's one way to theoretically break Apple's secure enclave. Nobody let Korth borrow your cell phone. 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

kkn
Level 14

water cuted and engraved with water