- Graphics Cards
- Peripherals & Accessories
- Why ROG?
- ROG PRO
- About ROG
Our guide below covers those interested in setting up Nvidia SLI or AMD CrossFireX on an Intel Z77 motherboard such as the ROG Maximus V series (we’ve used the Maximus V Formula), equipped with a 3rd Generation Intel Core CPU with PCI-Express Gen 3.0 capable CPU (such as the Core i5-3570K or Core i7-3770K).
Installing the first graphics card
- The Maximus V Formula has three full size (16x) PCI-Express slots, colored in red
- The two we are interested in for 2-way multi-GPU is the top slot and middle slot. Using just the top (primary) slot will give the graphics card PCI-E 3.0 16x bandwidth, while using both slots splits the lanes such that both have PCI-E 8x. Despite losing half the potential bandwidth per card, the PCI-E 3.0 standard provides more than enough data throughput, leaving your graphics card performance unaffected.
- Ensure each card fits securely, with the retention clip popping into place and that you connect the necessary PCI-E 6/8pin power connectors to the graphics card.
Installing the second graphics card
- When selecting a second GPU, you should ensure it’s as similar as possible to the primary GPU. For Nvidia cards, you must match the same GPU; so a GTX 670 with a second GTX 670. The driver will synchronize clock speeds if the two cards run at different frequencies. With AMD cards there is more lee-way; you can, for example, match an HD 7950 with an HD 7970, although for optimal performance scaling it’s again better to match both cards like for like.
- It might be obvious, but it’s worth saying you can’t mix Nvidia with AMD GPUs and you cannot mix two different generations of product: a GTX 500 series won’t SLI with a GTX 600 series for example.
- Fitting a second graphics card to the Maximus V Formula is easy; just slot it into place in the second (middle) PCI-E 3.0 slot. The board is laid out to allow a clear gap between the top and bottom GPU even if you’re using a graphics card with a triple slot cooler, such as some ASUS DirectCU II models.
- While the added space between the two cards might seem helpful for cooling, DO NOT fit the second card into the third (lowest) PCI-E slot. This will result in the top slot with 8x lanes of bandwidth, however the bottom slot only offers 4x bandwidth, limiting performance.
- With both graphics cards fitted and powered, it’s time to fit the SLI or CrossFire bridge cable (depending on whether you’re using Nvidia or AMD GPUs respectively). On both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards you can plug in the cable to either set of pins, with the cable aligning in a straight line from top to bottom. The SLI and CrossFire connectors do not match, so you can’t accidentally fit the wrong bridge.
CrossFire cables are provided in AMD graphics card boxes, whereas SLI cables are provided with the motherboard instead.
The SLI/CrossfireX Bridge
Just pop on the bridge between the two cards as follows. Both will require just one connector. The second connector is used when more than two cards are added in 3-way and 4-way multi-GPU.
Connect your displays
If you’re using a single display, connect it to the output of the top-most card. However, be advised that certain outputs will be disabled when using multi-GPU setups; refer to Nvidia or AMD’s requirements pages to make sure your setup will work. If you plan to use three monitors, be aware that AMD requires you to connect the third monitor via DisplayPort, whereas Nvidia’s model favors three DVI connections.
For Nvidia configurations, refer to this guide.
With the cards fitted into the right slots, powered up and connected via the required SLI/CrossFire bridge, there’s still a couple of things left to check.
Head into the Maximus V Formula’s UEFI BIOS – you should be in Advanced Mode by default. Navigate to the Advanced tab, and select System Agent Configuration, followed by the NB PCIe Configuration. You should see a screen which matches that below, with both the top PCI-E slots running at 8x. You can force these slots to use PCI-E 3.0 (Gen 3) here if you wish, as this can sometimes improve stability.
Install the driver
With the hardware in place, it’s time to head into Windows and install the latest Nvidia or AMD driver. You may want to grab the latest beta driver, as these will often have the most recent SLI or CrossFire profiles included.
SLI – SLI should automatically enable if the setup is correct. You can double check this though by entering the Nvidia Control panel and selecting the Configure SLi, Surround, PhysX tab. Here you can check that SLI is enabled, adjust Nvidia Surround if you’re using multiple monitors, or assign one of the GPUs as a PhysX processor.
CrossFire – CrossFire should also automatically enable once the driver has been installed. To double check it, open the Catalyst Control Center, select the Gaming tab and select AMD CrossFire. Here you can enable, or disable CrossFire. Also noteworthy is that if you’re using a 7-series AMD GPU, don’t be alarmed if your second GPU’s fan switches off when idle. This is part of AMD’s ZeroCore power technology; the card will power back up when needed.
A word on performance scaling
Doubling up on graphics power does not always grant matching improvements, as there’s a significant reliance on the driver. However, as you can see from our example benchmarks in Unigine Heaven 3.0, given the right circumstances you can expect huge gains even at lower resolutions.
Below are some Unigen Heaven 3.0 benchmarks run at 1920 x 1080 for both 1x (left) and 2x (right) Geforce GTX 670:
And for and 1x (left) and 2x (right) Radeon HD 7970. It’s not exactly twice the performance, but at around 90% increase is pretty accurate for most multi-GPU setups now.
Switching to use a multi-GPU setup does not always guarantee a significant performance increase inevery game. Certain titles will offer better and worse multi-GPU scaling, and new releases will likely require a driver or SLI/CrossFire profile update to ensure optimum performance. If you encounter such issues, you should refer to Nvidia’s or AMD’s latest drivers – even beta (pre-official release) drivers – which typically receive multi-GPU updates before the WHQL drivers which have to be certified by Microsoft.
Power Supply Note:
Adding a second graphics card will also dramatically increase your PC’s power consumption in 3D gaming; ensure you have a PSU that’s up to the task. For a dual-GPU setup as detailed here, we’d recommend no less than a 700W PSU.
Did you follow our guide, how did you get on? Let us know in the forums.
▼ Related Articles
Gallery: RAIDR Express SSD
( Relevance » 13.8 )
Gallery: ARES II
( Relevance » 13.5 )
Gallery: ROG at PGA (Poznan Game Arena) Poland
( Relevance » 12.4 )
AMD HD 7970 CrossFireX PC Build Guide
( Relevance » 12.6 )
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Learn To DIY
Want to learn how to best build your own PC? Download or read our free guide right here!
ROG Forum Hot Threads
[Vote Here!] 2013 ROG Desktop Wallpaper Competition!
- [Vote Here!] 2013 ROG Desktop Wallp...
08:34:57 10 May, 2013 · 97 replie(s)
- Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Prote...
16:12:58 17 May, 2013 · 61 replie(s)
- A word of warning regarding GEN3 su...
15:31:53 4 May, 2013 · 56 replie(s)
- PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU...
09:09:29 8 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won...
14:27:23 4 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Do you guys install the Intel Rapid...
04:11:49 22 Apr, 2013 · 47 replie(s)
- Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got rea...
03:22:07 4 May, 2013 · 44 replie(s)
- Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Cros...
09:16:05 2 May, 2013 · 44 replie(s)
- ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
15:25:40 4 May, 2013 · 43 replie(s)
- Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
06:15:48 4 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totall...
20:17:26 9 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- rampage will not boot
10:13:56 6 May, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BH...
01:46:34 30 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Newly Build System gets stuck on St...
12:49:48 23 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Ima...
19:44:00 12 May, 2013 · 33 replie(s)
- Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
19:15:53 27 Apr, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
11:46:52 18 May, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- What are normal temperatures at idl...
19:17:17 24 Apr, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- Last desperate attempt to cool the ...
11:56:01 3 May, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- New bios 4004
17:09:36 14 May, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
[img]http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/R4E-Vote.jpg[/i...By MarshallR@ASUS, in "ROG Events and Competitions"Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Protest OS support! We Pay No SAY? BS!!!!
[SIZE=2]I gave Asus support an ultimatum, two weeks for Win 7 suppo...By Arif013, in "General Discussion"A word of warning regarding GEN3 support and SB-E.
I've been working a lot on my work projects these last few days and...By Nodens, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU's around
Hi All, Could someone kindly assist me with the following issue ...By Malachor, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won't take.
I just installed my samsung 840 pros, set up the array with latest ...By Lynkdev, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Do you guys install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver?
Forget about RAID, I noticed that BNaughty doesn't have the IRST in...By Matrix Leader, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got really hot and shut everything down!
Hello ROG, I just recently built a new desktop for the first tim...By ToddJW, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z + AMD FX-8350
Hello, I have a big problem with my new system building. I us...By ibogee, in "Crosshair Series Motherboards"ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
[url]http://wccftech.com/asus-z87-motherboards-unveiled-maximus-vi-...By kkn, in "General Discussion"Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
Ok its a bit of a long one this. I just purchased a second hand Ex...By kPATm, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totally unlocked - 2nd time by DJ_OXyGeNe_8
Before we did it with matrix bios, but now we'll not use Matrix bio...By DJ_OXyGeNe_8, in "Radeon Series Graphic Cards"rampage will not boot
Hi, gotta problem. computer will not boot at all, no post, no fans,...By hohmann, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BHI7N07 From Newegg...
...And I'm hoping you kind folks (with much more knowledge than I) ...By SHADO, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Newly Build System gets stuck on Starting Windows screen?
Hey everyone... ^_^ How r u all? Nice to meet u all... ^_^ Wel...By syaoran7li, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Image Windows 8 G75VX
Hi. New in Asus Download. -Backup factory Image: Usb Device +14Gb ...By DvvDROG, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
How many of you here have Gamer partner... I haven't met gamer gir...By Pratham, in "General Discussion"Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
Hallo, Im expiriencing very strange memory behavior. I get Bsod's...By kocy33, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"What are normal temperatures at idle/load/extreme load modes?
I have Ramapge IV Extreme, Core i7 3930k, Corsair Dominator GT CMT1...By Pratham, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Last desperate attempt to cool the CPU by air!
Hi people, This is a modification,... since I have no other choi...By sandro c, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"New bios 4004
There is a New bios 4004 and there is this : Rampage IV Extreme ...By MMXMMX, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"
- [Vote Here!] 2013 ROG Desktop Wallp...
- The new Maximus VI Extreme. Full details coming soon! http://t.co/2Vwn5SHQQN about 13 hours ago
- http://t.co/1OoRwZXwHM about 1 day ago
- PewPewPew! It’s time to shoot some aliens and win! http://t.co/WUYT1nSZWy http://t.co/dvW3wiwLLk about 2 days ago
- Enough of the "cute" term. How about this? Mother of all mod by L3p! Full build log over here:... http://t.co/81cb12eJHL about 3 days ago
- Though not exactly ROG.. but this router is soooo cute! http://t.co/WCTsyJxcAE about 5 days ago
- Heads up ROGers! Reminder: ROG Video Competition http://t.co/7r5sjPvKY7 about 6 days ago