- Graphics Cards
- Peripherals & Accessories
- Why ROG?
- ROG PRO
- About ROG
PAGE: 1 2
2012 is an exciting time to need a graphic card upgrade. New PCI-Express 3 cards have hit the market and include the Nvidia GeForce GTX 600 series, such as the recent GTX 680, and AMD’s Radeon HD 7000 Series, including ASUS designed cards such as the Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II, 7950 DirectCU II and 7870 DirectCU II as well as their TOP pre-overclocked variants.
While these cards fill the news and people’s upgrade anticipations right now, you don’t need PCI-Express 3.0 or even the latest series of graphics cards to overclock though – generally speaking any graphics card can be overclocked in some way. This guide explains the process of how to overclock your graphics card with GPU Tweak, and applies to Nvidia and AMD graphics cards alike.
Downloads you will need:
What is ASUS GPU Tweak?
GPU Tweak allows you to optimize clock speeds, voltage and fan speeds on up to four graphics cards independently or simultaneously, you can also select between GPU Tweak’s Standard or Advanced modes depending on your level of experience.
A good stress test to push your overclock stability is FurMark, while GPU-Z is a must and is included with the ASUS GPU Tweak; however you can also download the latest version separately as an ROG Skinned GPU-Z.
What is FurMark?
FurMark is an OpenGL-based GPU stress test utility (also called GPU burn-in test). It makes it possible to push the GPU to the max in order to test the stability of the graphics card (and the PSU too!) leading to maximum GPU and VRM temperatures. That’s why FurMark is often used by overclockers and graphics cards fanatics to validate an overclocking, to test a new VGA cooler or to check the max power consumption of a video card.
Before we start
Open which ever version of GPU-Z you are using. Select the sensor tab, look at the bottom and tick both the boxes. You will be prompted to select a default location for the log file it will be creating. Why do we want this? Well if the overclock fails it is handy to look at the logged file and see what the possible cause of the failure was, as if your system freezes up you cannot check what you’re GPU temperatures were when the system froze. This way we can check the history and then make informed calls on the correct way forward.
Create a baseline
Open your FurMark stress test – Select the profile you wish to run, I suggest you use the profile that will match as close to your gaming resolution. I used the 1920×1080 (1080p) setting. Remember the point of this exercise is to establish knowledge of the baseline stability of your graphic card at stock speeds. You can use any of the pre-set profiles too, as long as you are using the same settings each time we do a stability test.
Once we have these temperature numbers and are confident that the card is running perfectly at stock speeds, then we can overclock!
First: Memory Overclocking
The first thing to do is see what the maximum memory frequency is.
- Open GPU Tweak
- Either move the slider for the memory to up by 100MHz using the mouse, the keyboard arrow keys, or directly key in a value 100MHz higher. The offset value will tell you how far from stock MHz it’s been changed.
- Apply the setting.
- Open FurMark and run the benchmark preset that you prefer.
- If your system passes, increase the frequency by 100MHz on the slider again.
- Apply and run FurMark again
- Repeat until your system fails the benchmark test or crashes.
- Drop back 100MHz from the last used setting using the slider
- Run the benchmark again to check
- If passed successfully stop there and record the frequency that your system passed the benchmark test successfully at.
- Reset GPU Tweak to default
We are not going to change any voltages in this basic guide until the very end. We now have the stand alone maximum memory frequency for our graphics card. It is actually unlikely that we will achieve this frequency when the GPU core is overclocked as well (due to reasons such as EMI, power draw, and induced heat from the GPU affecting the GDDR5 chips and PCB tracing, but what we do have is a known range within which we can work.
PAGE: 1 2
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Learn To DIY
Want to learn how to best build your own PC? Download or read our free guide right here!
ROG Forum Hot Threads
Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Protest OS support! We Pay No SAY? BS!!!!
- Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Prote...
16:12:58 17 May, 2013 · 68 replie(s)
- A word of warning regarding GEN3 su...
15:31:53 4 May, 2013 · 56 replie(s)
- PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU...
09:09:29 8 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won...
14:27:23 4 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got rea...
03:22:07 4 May, 2013 · 47 replie(s)
- ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
15:25:40 4 May, 2013 · 46 replie(s)
- Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Cros...
09:16:05 2 May, 2013 · 44 replie(s)
- Can't find video card in Windows
22:43:31 19 May, 2013 · 39 replie(s)
- Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totall...
20:17:26 9 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Ima...
19:44:00 12 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
06:15:48 4 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- rampage will not boot
10:13:56 6 May, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BH...
01:46:34 30 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Newly Build System gets stuck on St...
12:49:48 23 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Last desperate attempt to cool the ...
11:56:01 3 May, 2013 · 33 replie(s)
- Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
11:46:52 18 May, 2013 · 33 replie(s)
- Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
19:15:53 27 Apr, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel st...
11:14:08 7 May, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- Wtf is up with this site???
05:29:17 19 May, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- What are normal temperatures at idl...
19:17:17 24 Apr, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
[SIZE=2]I gave Asus support an ultimatum, two weeks for Win 7 suppo...By Arif013, in "General Discussion"A word of warning regarding GEN3 support and SB-E.
I've been working a lot on my work projects these last few days and...By Nodens, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU's around
Hi All, Could someone kindly assist me with the following issue ...By Malachor, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won't take.
I just installed my samsung 840 pros, set up the array with latest ...By Lynkdev, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got really hot and shut everything down!
Hello ROG, I just recently built a new desktop for the first tim...By ToddJW, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
[url]http://wccftech.com/asus-z87-motherboards-unveiled-maximus-vi-...By kkn, in "General Discussion"Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z + AMD FX-8350
Hello, I have a big problem with my new system building. I us...By ibogee, in "Crosshair Series Motherboards"Can't find video card in Windows
Hello all!! I recently bought a maximus v formula board, but I a...By bigmen2007, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totally unlocked - 2nd time by DJ_OXyGeNe_8
Before we did it with matrix bios, but now we'll not use Matrix bio...By DJ_OXyGeNe_8, in "Radeon Series Graphic Cards"AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Image Windows 8 G75VX
Hi. New in Asus Download. -Backup factory Image: Usb Device +14Gb ...By DvvDROG, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
Ok its a bit of a long one this. I just purchased a second hand Ex...By kPATm, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"rampage will not boot
Hi, gotta problem. computer will not boot at all, no post, no fans,...By hohmann, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BHI7N07 From Newegg...
...And I'm hoping you kind folks (with much more knowledge than I) ...By SHADO, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Newly Build System gets stuck on Starting Windows screen?
Hey everyone... ^_^ How r u all? Nice to meet u all... ^_^ Wel...By syaoran7li, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Last desperate attempt to cool the CPU by air!
Hi people, This is a modification,... since I have no other choi...By sandro c, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
Hallo, Im expiriencing very strange memory behavior. I get Bsod's...By kocy33, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
How many of you here have Gamer partner... I haven't met gamer gir...By Pratham, in "General Discussion"G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel stopped working, CPU idle temp 60.
Hi guys, just as the topic says. Well here is info, hope you can ...By Sttyx, in "Older G Series Notebooks"Wtf is up with this site???
why do i now have to enter a password and a verification code every...By m.oreilly, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"What are normal temperatures at idle/load/extreme load modes?
I have Ramapge IV Extreme, Core i7 3930k, Corsair Dominator GT CMT1...By Pratham, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"
- Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Prote...
- Annnnnnd the new Maximus VI Gene! http://t.co/XV2quosy8G about 1 day ago
- TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 with Thermal Armor, TUF Fortifier, and Dust Defender. http://t.co/OcTeH7Kcrf about 2 days ago
- GRYPHON ARMOR KIT http://t.co/7Jrr0Vcd2N about 2 days ago
- TUF GRYPHON Z87 http://t.co/YVWc4tEQYs about 2 days ago
- The new Maximus VI Extreme. Full details coming soon! http://t.co/2Vwn5SHQQN about 3 days ago
- http://t.co/1OoRwZXwHM about 4 days ago