Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: USB 3 Problems

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Here4Help View Post
    Bug fixes inVersion 1.0.5.235:
    “Format disk” window might pop up after a USB3.0 device is
    plugged in into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

USB3.0 Thumb drive might failed to enumerate after the device is
    plugged in into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)

USB Modem failed to enumerate after the device is plugged in
    into the USB3.0 port >> Resolved in Release Rev: 1.0.5.235 (PVHF5)
    I'm only able to find 1.04 where did you d/l 1.05?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array kiba's Avatar

did either of you use ASUS liveupdate to install new USB drivers? if you havent already, uninstall that right away.
    ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH
    Gaming Rig: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | ASUS GTX 560 Ti's x2 - SLI | 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2122 ram | OC'd i7 2600K - WC'd (2x Cougar Vortex on Corsair H100) | Crucial M4 SSD's x2- Raid0 | 850W Power Supply | Repurposed Alienware ALX Case w/ top reservoir fins, mood lights still work!

ROG Member Array

No i uninstalled liveupdate as soon as i started up this computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpsycho View Post
    I'm only able to find 1.04 where did you d/l 1.05?
    Is this the driver you have currently installed in V 1.04? >> Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver..

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

So I've been having usb 3 problems lately with my WD Passport SE drive. USB 2 drives work fine, plug in and its recognized, however, whenever I plug in my USB 3 hdd it doesn't recognize in windows but it does start up. For it to recognize I have to plug in my usb 2 flash to get it going which isn't a big deal but I shouldn't have to do that. And on top of that, when it does connect to the USB 3 hdd, it's not stable and disconnects randomly inthe middle of things which has now resulted in the formatting of my whole hdd making me lose a lot of videos and isos -__-

Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it?
    Do you have any other USB 3.0 devices to test with? Or maybe even just a different USB 3.0 cable for the drive? That would go a long ways to determining if you have some kind of hardware failure. The design of USB cables and connectors really just is not all that great. In order to get the faster speeds, they just add additional pins recessed further into the port, which ultimately just means that the act of plugging/unplugging the devices will make it more and more likely one of those shorter recessed pins gets bent or damaged. Asus, and every other computer and/or component vendor is stuck implementing the rather questionable (in my opinion anyway) decisions of the USB IEEE standards group.

So if you had another device or at least another cable you could test with, it'd help rule out the problem being with the drive and/or cable.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Here4Help View Post
    Is this the driver you have currently installed in V 1.04? >> Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver..
    I just installed 1.0.5 but it doesn't really fix it. Plugged in the hdd and didn't read until i plugged in my usb 2 flash drive. And no i do not have another usb 3 device.

I just installed 1.0.5 but it doesn't really fix it. Plugged in the hdd and didn't read until i plugged in my usb 2 flash drive. And no i do not have another usb 3 device.
    The next step in troubleshooting is to either buy another drive or USB cable. I may buy one and tell you the results. This is kind of complicating becuase 2.0 devices work prefectly. BTW windows 7 doesn't fully support 3.0. Another step would be to dual boot windows 8 CP and see if windows 8 handels it differently. I 'll try to post results soon.

Lol, I tried plugging my drive under Ubuntu and no problems at all, this at least guarantees that it is not a hardware issue. I will try with windows 8 if it goes all well.

ROG Member Array

Perhaps but if other people seem to be working fine, i'd like to fix it and not lose all my data on my hdd again.. which was like 600gb of stuff.

Perhaps but if other people seem to be working fine, i'd like to fix it and not lose all my data on my hdd again.. which was like 600gb of stuff.
    As promised, all 3.0 USB ports work pefectly under windows 8. I can't think of any other solutions to this problem, but I've concluded that it's the lack of power. Your USB ports are not supplying enough power to your drive. Another based on the steps I took, USB 3.0 does not play well with windows 7. These problems were gone in windows 8/ubuntu during the tests..

I don't know what else to suggest; try a new 3.0 device and see if the problems exist.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast