cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone managed to get ASUS PCE-AC66 card working with Z87 board?

CarpeDiemPW
Level 7
I bought the Z87 Deluxe/Dual motherboard because it explicitly states that it supports the PCE-AC66 card, but as soon as I try to install the drivers it locks up? This was on a fresh install of Windows 8 with nothing but the chipset drivers and management engine installed. I managed to get the drivers loaded by using the manual method (update driver, browse computer, have disk) but as soon as I rebooted it constantly hangs again? This is with the standard 1008 bios and I’ve disabled both the onboard wifi and even the onboard Bluetooth (just in case). I think I’m right in saying that the smaller PCI-E x 1 slots are chipset controlled and the bigger x16/x8 chipsets are cpu controlled? Haven’t tried it in one of the bigger slots yet but I don’t want it there long term so it seems a moot point, but seems to me that it’s either an issue with the current drivers or there’s an incompatibility with the chipset (which makes me wonder how it’s managed to make it onto the supported devices list?)

Desperate for some help now… this is the 3rd motherboard I’ve tried with the card and the 2nd card I’ve tried. I can’t be the only one experiencing these issues surely?

ASUS Deluxe/Dual Z87
i7 4770K (@stock 3.5)
2 x 4GB Corsair Dominator 2400 (@default 1333)
EVGA GTX780 SC ACX
Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
#£&$% ASUS PCE-AC66 network card.
23 REPLIES 23

decypher
Level 7
I have the same problem, I have a Maximus VI Hero motherboard. The drivers will install and the device even works but after a reboot.. Windows won't bootup. I have placed the card in a X8 slot now... and it seems to work somewhat better (it sometimes boot windows) but it feels like a hit and miss operation.

We need new drivers for z87 and we need them fast.

CarpeDiemPW
Level 7
I know it doesn't make it any better but I'm so relieved it's not just my hardware!! Hit and miss is right... I've done so many Windows reinstallations recently and it almost always locks installing the drivers via the exe. Can install them manually via hardware manager and will even work after some reboots but for the most part you've either got to take the card out or try a dozen or so times to boot it. Even moved to 8.1 preview to see if that helped but no joy and on this platform I can't even install the onboard wifi/Bluetooth adapter?

Raised it with ASUS directly but it takes 2 days for them to come back and treat you like a bumbling idiot with their generic responses so not expecting to make progress any time soon..

metalpostcard
Level 7
Same problem here. Works fine on Z77 Maximus Gene V. On ASrock Z87 board, it does the same thing. Locks up either during driver install or upon reboot. Can not get it stable. Seen that other brand Z87 boards have the same issue as well. Hope new drivers come soon! I've had a hard time raising the issue with Asus; the responses I've gotten have been pretty laughable. or not..

Same here using the 1150 socket. Hope they will fix it fast - running poor network connection at 2.4Ghz (approx 60mbit) and can run 1Gbit with the Asus card when its working.

Any news regarding this?

X-ROG
Level 15
I've asked the AC66 product manager, will let you know when I get an update.

DamanC
Level 7
Z87 and PCE-AC66's are incompatible: Asus PCE-AC66 Haswell Z87 B85 Freeze lockup problem

Not the conclusion you wanted but at least a conclusion.

X-ROG
Level 15
Yes, thanks UKGamingComputers... actually we were still testing all possible work-arounds while they announced it but unfortunately they are correct, there is a unforeseen incompatibility that prevents the AC66 working with 8-series Intel platforms. Early platforms or AMD still work fine however.

All I know for sure right now is the AC68 will launch late July/early August if you can wait until then for the exchange. If this is unsatisfactory please contact your local ASUS office later this week (it'll take a few days for the message from HQ here to filter down).

I can only express that we're very sorry for this trouble. PCIe should be a fixed standard and this incompatibility was unforeseen.

Well at least we know now. I find it quite shocking that ASUS had listed the product on their compatibility list when it clearly wasn't but at least that's now been updated too. Just a shame I had to go through three motherboards and two AC66 cards before we got to this conclusion? What will be involved in the exchange process and do we have any more information on the AC68? Is it an exact like for like or will there be anything new? Without trying to sound too greedy it would be nice to get some sort of kickback considering the amount of hours and money wasted on this problem because of false advertising...??

I've got the same issue and found out the hard way.

Registered here to see when I can get this thing exchanged, cause I sure as hell am not gonna be OK with a useless card just sitting around