cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth buying a WC system for my new M7F ???

Mike_Kelly
Level 10
I searched around and for 209.85 plus shipping, I can get a EK-DCP pump and reservoir
a swiftech dual 120mm rad a corsair af120 set of two fans.
Then I have to buy the tubing and liquid and bracket to mount the rad and all the fittings.

My question is I am already running a H100i setup for my CPU and would it be worth
the cooling effort to buy all of this stuff just for hooking it up to cool
the inside parts of my new Maximus VII Formula ????

I don't know much about cutting the tubes and using just the rad and using a different CPU heatsink without
the h100 pump and doing a large loop.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated. My 650D corsair case has a lot of room on the bottom right
side, and I can hook up the rad there and leave the one on top as well. I dont know if its worth it, but that is
why Im asking this here as many of you are way more knowledgeable about WC and my board.

Thank You !!!
9 REPLIES 9

abvolt
Level 11
With that board I would say yes for sure. Are you planing to cool any vga's also, if so at least 2 rads.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

kkn
Level 14
the h100i is as good as a 240rad setup in custom loop.
custom may be bether if you go whit thick rad only. mabye a 360 and 60mm then it would be bether.
but it depends how mutch rad space and height you have in the case.
you have 45mm and 60mm rads.. add fan ticknes and you get the total height/ clearance needed.

naj1991
Level 8
hy mike, i would take it like this peoples... seen @google, ( http://cdn.overclock.net/0/01/01ccf356_DSCN0921.jpeg ) its a 240/120mm rad on top and a 180/180mm or a 200/200mm singelrad in front of the case... probably you can take a 360/120 on top when you take a dremel and a new aperture for it... it gives from nearly all manufactors take what you like when you do that...

when you build first time something, take normal PVC/PUR/neoprene tubing... its the simplest way... take compression fitings, alphacool/EK will be cheap and holds for a while, take a massive CPU block from fully cooper, like a Heatkiller odr a supreme HF, or a aquacomputerhead... and not this bull****ting pump plz... its cheap and it sounds also so... 😉 *have it in a pc by my friend, and i hear it every time when i play on this pc (will replace it with a laying D5 -hear to me and do it also,... ) this pump is the loudest thing in the rig... 😉 but probably silenter then your H100.. ^^

and take big AGB, better a dual 5.25" where you can bild the pump on it...
http://www.aquatuning.ch/wasserkuehlung/pumpen/d5-serie/d5-aufsaetze/17521/frozenq-d5-pump-top-fuer-...
i hope i can help you a lot... because i think that only a 240/120 with the phobia pump the temps would not be much better then with a h100... probably 5° but then you can be happy... ^^;)
Greez JT

Mike_Kelly
Level 10
I Am using the H100i rad at the top of my Corsair 650D case. I have two corsair fans blowing up from under the rad, and the large case fan
on top sucking air out. I dont think I could sell the H100i for much, so can I just cut the hoses off of the heatsink/pump and use the rad
and fans as they are ????

I guess I could spend about 250 bucks for now and just buy a reservoir/pump and do the cpu and VII Formula board. Later on down the
road, I could buy the waterblocks for the evga gtx 680 4 gig GPU's for a few hundred. I have room in the front of the case to do a 240 rad
and a small rad and fan where the OUT fan is above the PSU.

Thank You so much for your advice and help. I appreciate it very much !!!! pls let me know about cutting the pump off the h100i and if I
can use just the rad and fans from that unit.
******************* EDIT ******************************

I just looked it up online, and others said the rad in the h100i is aluminium and no good. I will just sell
the H100i used on craigslist and be done with it. The new MB has a all copper bar, and I dont want to
run anti corrosive coolant if I dont have to.

Oh well, back to square one.

I

kkn
Level 14
you have to remember this, for each OC'd component you have to calculate 2x 120 ( 240 radiator ) fan slot to keep it cool.
so if you are going to cool CPU and 2 GPU's you will look at 2x 360 rads

Howdy Mike --

Thank you ... I did not know the H100i was aluminum. Very good to know NOT to use it in a custom loop!

There are many experts in here and I am so happy to have found this forum. I am also planning to use the Maximus VII Formula and its northbridge cooling block has nudged me into the world of "custom" water loops. Previously I was aiming at h100i all the way for CPU cooling with either the Z-97 WS or the Sabertooth Mark I. That new Formula has won me over ... but not by a huge margin. Every one of those 3 boards has its own plus side.

I am still a water cooling novice; however, I've read a ton of reviews, Googled myself silly many nights, and done the youtube thing for many more hours searching for sound advice. What I can strongly recommend is studying kkn's awesome 900D build >> impressive!

I agree fully with the 2 x 120 amount of radiator per heat source guideline. It is amazing how much radiator some folks can cram into a case. For my new build, I have found myself going towards a smaller case and using a custom external water loop ... so think outside the box if you must. Maybe after I am no longer a "beginner" ... I will gain the confidence needed to jam it all together in a very compact form.

That picture naj1991 provided is really an excellent reference. A bit too jammed up for my level of confidence ... but it sure helps to see what might be in store.

Please keep posting about your Formula build ... as it will help me for sure.

naj1991
Level 8
dont know so much over the H100 from crossair, i had it long time ago in the case of my parents and dont was verry happy with it... i was too paranoid that it will be leeking after some time... 😉 dont looks verry strong... and the tubes are realy ****... i was thinking that they will borke first of all^^ (probably in the hard curves... 😜 ) but to your build, when you dont wanna cutting on your case you can take a 240*120mm on top a 120*120 in the rear and some 200*200mm in the front... and the rad in the front when you have the cash 80mm high.. 😉 then you have space for keep you coolant cool,... and how i say take a nice pump... 😉 to blow your system off... ive realy swear to laying DDC*2 (only seriell) and laying D5 pumps (also in singelconfig but better also in series (2 pumps in one loop-its not so cheap-but the power is too much)

for the loop i will say,
first (on the 5.25" the dual bay res whith 1 D5 pump on there, going to CPU block, after to the 120*120mm rad in the rear, to the crosschill spawa cooler of the motherboard, then to the 240*120mm, to the GPU's, and after that to the 200*200*80mm rad and from that baq to your res... and you must be clear that you dont can have the sidepannel on your case, because not so much air can come into your case only on the underside (all fans on the rad must blow outside of the case in this config or you probably have problems with temps @long gaming sessions... (i have this problem on a Fractal ARC XXL - had must cutting 4 120mm holes for an aperture in the sidepannel to take the air inside that it must have to be cool)

this is what i think, but i thinking too that a 650D will easy fully when you are finishd... but when you do it nice and with a good cablemanagement (better than my googlepicture-this was only to show probably rads on case) it will be a realy nice juwel of a pc with a realy powerfull coolingsystem... 🙂
Greez JT

Mike_Kelly
Level 10

I read the instructions and took the piece of plastic off of the heatsink copper, but
there ended up being a second small thin piece and it gave me high temps, so I knew
something was wrong. I cleaned off the TIM and found the second piece of plastic
and now I have 82C tops running full bore with aida 64 with everything turned on.

I am one happy camper now !!!!

kkn
Level 14
amd now to expand 😉