cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-NS71 freezes and screen slowly turns white

K2rn2g3
Level 7
Purchased a G75VW-NS71 back in October 2012. Has the 670M, and I have been running all original drivers, bios, and setup that it was shipped with. I've never had a single problem in any of the games I play. Windows 7, 12gb ram, all stock no overclocks.

A few nights ago playing Bastion the screen froze, background music still played, and the screen slowly began to turn white. I was able to alt-tab to windows and the problem went away. Quick look at the temp ~60C no big deal. Go back into the game and play fine for about 30 mins. At this point I restart the computer and load up Bastion again, and after about 10 mins the game freezes and the screen begins to turn white again. This time however the computer will not respond so I have to do a hard reset. Once back up I try a different game, Tropico 4, which runs around ~70C on the gpu. No more than 5 mins into the game the same freeze and move to white happens. Hard reset again, and I load up furmark to do a sanity check. As soon as the gpu hit 63C the screen froze and began to turn white.

Sent a message into tech support, they said update the bios. So i'll try that and see what happens, but it definitely sounds to me like the gpu is either not getting good contact with the heat sink or its simply about to die. Anyone have any ideas?

Will post full system specs tonight and anything else that anyone thinks might help.
4 REPLIES 4

Decadia
Level 7
Thats an odd problem. Would you like to record what happens exactly?
Sounds like it might be a cooling problem where it hits a certain temp.
Tell me how it went with the bios.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well what BIOS are you on? If you do update the BIOS be sure to use the Ezflash in the BIOS itself. Download to your hard drive But Extract the file to a Fat 32 formatted USB thumb drive. Very important to extract directly do the USB Chip. Don't use winflash many bricked notebooks using that. I myself stopped updating the BIOS at 210
If you want to see how well your GPU is pasted run Furmark 1080 Burn in test 15 min. Mine takes about 7 minutes to get to 83C and the fluxuates 80 to 83C the rest of the test. My Ambient temp is 25C

Have you been cleaning your filters and blowing the dust out of your fan and heatsink?

I would also roll back your NVidia drivers to the latest available on the Asus Support Download

I don't think I have seem your issue before
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

K2rn2g3
Level 7
Sorry about the delayed response.

Haven't updaed the bios yet, however current version is 207, which is what it was shipped with. All filters are clean, probably clean them once a month.

Nvidia drivers are the ones it was shipped with, i'll get that info tonight and post. Think they were version ~297 or so, from 2012. Never had a problem so I never updated to newer ones.

So update to the problem, after having the computer off for several days I boot up to get all my data onto a thumb drive and decide to run a little more troubleshooting.

Ran prime95 with 90% ram test for 15mins, no issues.
Ran furmark burn-in, gpu went rapidly up to around 80-82C at around 5-7 mins. As the temp climbed the white screen did not occur, but some interesting blue boxes would ghost in and out, sometimes some horizontals lines would flash - the ones you would see before a computer crashed with random colors. However no crash occured and furmark was fine.

Guess my only option is to RMA it after the bios update, however since the warranty is out I'd like to get an estimate on the cost...

Well I would update to at least 210 that was the last stable one. be sure to extract the download to your Fat 32 usb stick. then use Ezflash in the bios to do the update. This could solve your problems. Also the NVidia Drivers the latest ones on Asus Support Downloads also might help

My G75 does the same on Furmark takes about 7 minutes to reach 80C and fluxuates 80 to 83C for the rest of the burning. So your pasting is good

I stopped upgrading BIOS at 210 I haven't heard any real improvements in 222 or 223 and I have seen many bricked Notebooks trying to upgrade to those two version.

I am running the latest NVidia drivers however I would recommend since your having issues that you only update to the latest ones that have been tested and approved By Asus for your notebook.

I can't help you with the RMA, cl-albert is the Asus Customer Loyalty rep in thses forums I would PM Him for assistance if you do have to RMA.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro