cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G30AB bios optimized defaults question

Jokelo
Level 7
I updated my G30AB bios to 0602. After update was done and before restarting Asus EasyUpdate said I should remember to set defaults to bios. Ok.

I restarted and it was prompted that I check bios as it has changed. Chose F5 to load optimized defaults. Some of the settings changed with load optimized defaults and then I did save and exit.

Been working fine. Just entered to BIOS last night and I don't know why but pressed F5 just in curiosity and load optimized defaults. Now it again wants to change 2 other settings to different values that were not included in the first time when updated and loaded optimized defaults. Why is this? Isn't 'load optiomized defaults' supposed to be like one time pressing, and always when I press it everything will go to default values? Not that if I press it again and again after changes it did it does something more?

I did not change these new two values it wanted to do, I stayed in the values it did at the first boot 'load optimized defaults' after updating bios.
Also I thought that after I update BIOS, values already are these 'optimized defaults'. But it did change few values after I chose 'load optimized defaults'. Bit surprised this happened.

Values changed in first boot after 'load optimized defaults' :

CPU Load-Line Calibration [Auto] -> [Level 8]
CPU Voltage Frequency [Auto] -> [Manual]
CPU Fixed Frequency (kHz) [250] -> [500]
CPU Power Phase Control [Auto] -> [Extreme]

These values I did save in the first boot.

Now these are the values I get when I choose to 'load optimized defaults' 2nd time :

CPU Integrated VR Fault Management [Disabled] -> [Auto]
Link Status [Connected] -> [Disconnected]

These values I have not saved. I just exit BIOS without saving.

Why is this happening? Should I save those two values too? If I do, will there be more values to be changed again if I enter bios again and 'load optimized defaults' for the 3rd time?

Edit: Just checked all the affected values here and they pretty much make sense except that Link Status. Isn't that an option to disconnect Intel Ethernet? Or what is it?
20 REPLIES 20

toronto699
Level 13
http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=312 I had no problem when I installed the 602 bios every thing set to optimized defaults. or auto be carefull in bios I have ? for u ... does your G30AB have Bluetooth ? in the W7 driver page there is a W7. W8 Bluetooth driver but non in the G30AB W 8 driver page . its better if u post in hardware forum as few people have a G30ab . but id like to know if u have Bluetooth
my vlink is set to connected so post in general hardware more experts will see your posts

Jokelo
Level 7
What hardware info do you need? This G30AB has i7-4770k, 16gb ram, 128gb ssd, gtx 780 etc.

So the case is this, I think I have not made myself clear enough. 🙂

When I updated bios. I went to the bios settings. I pressed save&exit and bios said nothing have been changed, exit anyway? I did not exit. I pressed F5 for 'load optimized defaults'. As was suggested by Asus EasyUpdate when updated bios. G30AB automatically changed these values when I pressed F5 :

CPU Load-Line Calibration [Auto] -> [Level 8]
CPU Voltage Frequency [Auto] -> [Manual]
CPU Fixed Frequency (kHz) [250] -> [500]
CPU Power Phase Control [Auto] -> [Extreme]

Then I did save&exit.

So those values are 'optimized defaults', I suppose.
I have not changed anything manually. Anything.

Now, if I go to bios again. And press F5 again, it tells me that the following values will be changed :

CPU Integrated VR Fault Management [Disabled] -> [Auto]
Link Status [Connected] -> [Disconnected]

These values I have NOT accepted and not saved.

Should I just go to the first values after updating BIOS? I should NOT 'load optimized defaults' at all?
Just go to BIOS after updating and save&exit without touching anything?
It was like that when I had 0601 BIOS. Never touched anything before now when updated to 0602 chose to 'load optimized defaults.

And yes, I have Bluetooth in my G30AB.

toronto699
Level 13
I did save and exit after installing bios then esc to to exit , every thing works fine , I did not change anything , everything works as it should except I cannt get Bluetooth to wotk. could u please go to device manager and tell me what lan cards u have please mine says " 802.11.n wireless lan card" and "intel Ethernet Connection 1217V" in device Manager . im having problem getting Bluetooth to work. asus support has been no help so far. the new bios install should install to the best values no need to change anything. we can only over clock to 4.1 as its locked in bios to 4.1 G and have u tried to install AI III ? U and I have same Machine

Jokelo
Level 7
Ok.. Now I tried to find those changed values from BIOS but seemed to be impossible for me. So, I downgraded back to 0601 and then back to 0602. Exited BIOS settings without loading optimized defaults. Seems like I had plenty of issues with AI Suite II after that. AI Suite displayed in monitor/sensor tab 0.000v for every Core and Core 1 was gray. Seemed to do system level up steps randomly. Did or not. Worked really bad. When I was at 4.1 it shows I am at 3.7 and so on. Uninstalled/installed AI suite couple of times with no luck. Downgraded again to 0601 and loaded those optimized defaults. AI suite worked again.
Again I upgrade back to 0602 and exit without loading optimized defaults. And again AI suite is not working. Uninstall/install and use also ccleaner in between. No luck. Ok, back to bios settings. Now I load those optimized defaults. Again same values are changed as before. But now it also changed that Link Status [Connected] -> [Disconnected]. Yeah right, Saved them and then exit. Got a bit bored on this already.
Now AI Suite is working like it should, all values shown and so on. Also I have no idea what is that Link Status value. Seems like it surely ain't no my ethernet as my internet seems to connect.

Go figure, I'll stick with this. Values are those and they seem to work. Without loading those optimized defaults before exiting bios this machine works like crap. Or atleast AI Suite.

I have not tried to install Ai Suite III. I am ok with this. Seems to work now. If not, I'll downgrade back to 0601.

In my device manager there is 4 items, 2 Bluetooth and Intel Ethernet l217V and Realtek 8821AE wireless lan.
I use ethernet with the cable, so no WLAN in use.

At least everything seems to work ok for now. Let's see.

Edit: just went to bios and seems like that Link Status has gone back to connected. Save&exit again... What ever. I'll start gaming, bored to hassle with these. 🙂

thanks for info hope all is working good, its better to post your questions in the "General Hardware Form" as more people will read it . and more experienced rogs will reply no many read the GR series forums . thanks for the items in device manager

toronto699
Level 13
thanks for info hope all is working good, its better to post your questions in the "General Hardware Form" as more people will read it . and more experienced rogs will reply not many read the GR series forums . thanks for the items in device manager

Jokelo
Level 7
Ok, I'll ask there.

Since we have a pretty much same machine (with Asetek LCLC liquid cooling, you too right?) just for the interest, how are your temps while gaming?
Do you always use 4.1 while gaming? I haven't been using much of the overclocking feature, seems to be enough performance for most of the games I play just with 3.7. But that I have used, seems to be stable so far.

toronto699
Level 13
temps are pretty normal while playing . no game we cannot play at 3.7 we have a pretty nice machine . the only draw back I can see is sound sometimes . I have Logitech 5.1 speakers , just not enough umph if u know what i mean with on board audio ,,, I may buy a sound card . yes I have liquid cooling . I use 4.1 mostly when editing video or when I send data from my satellite phone from my G30AB if u go to CBC.CA "nature of things" I shot lots of those programs video. the only upgrade I can see in near future we might need is more ram in future. some games are ram demanding . so far so good

Jokelo
Level 7
So you do not play with 3.7 at all, did I get it right? Always gaming at 4.1?

I have Xonar Phoebus installed in my case, so I do not know about onboard audio quality. Don't know if that is a good card but been working fine. Usually use headphones and sound is very good. I don't think that we will be in need of more ram any day soon. Maybe we will need faster GPU before that.

Just wished that Asus had installed better quality PSU and sturdier case with G30AB. My case sidepanel resonates sometimes and it rattles. When I press it slightly with my finger it stops.