cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Overclocking Failed w/o OC? - Rampage V

sevenfold86
Level 7
Greetings,

Built a new computer, running into some strange issues. Ran into a few hurdles here and there, but got everything working till now. 😞

NZXT Phantom 820
i7 5930k @ 3.7 Stock
Swifttech H2O-220 Edge HD Series - CPU Watercooling
16GB – 3000MHz – F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (4x Sticks in Quad Channel i.e red slots)
EVGA 1000 P2 PSU Platinum Rated
X99 Rampage V
OCZ Vector 256 x 2 (non-raid)
Asus GTX 980 SLI
Windows 7 Pro 64

OC Panel is running in the front drive bay, also have a generic asus blu-ray player there too. Got most of this stuff from new egg around the beginning of October.

The first problem I had was that the pump wasn't being recognized by the motherboard, after a BIOS update all was well. The next issue I ran into was getting the memory to run at its advertised XMP speed. At first, my PC kept on failing to boot but eventually it sstarted to work (after one or two retries). All was well, ran a bunch of benchmarks, played a few intensive games (i.e. Rome 2 @ 1440p on extreme). No issues.

For the time being, I had my case panels all removed. I eventually decided to put them all back on to finish the build. After I did this, my computer failed to boot.

I removed all the panels, thinking I might have pinched a wire or something but still nothing. I restarted in safe mode to see what happened. Computer booted up, stating that my OC failed? (Q-code bd) No overclocking has been done, other than the setting the XMP profile to its intended speed. I turned the XMP profile off, and it still wouldn't boot.

Frustrated, I completely cleared the CMOS with the button behind. Computer booted fine, Windows started.

What I find really strange, is that when it failed to boot and I set all settings to default, it still wouldn't boot. I had to clear the CMOS in order for my computer to boot properly?

Any help on this would be MUCH appreciated, after dropping this much money on a new computer... 😞
32 REPLIES 32

Nate152
Hello Sevenfold86 and welcome to the ROG forum.

More than likely what is causing the overclocking failed is your RAM. What tells me this is you have done no overclocking except setting XMP.

Try raising the vccsa to 1.20v - 1.25v

When running ram higher than 2400MHz you want to use the 125 cpu strap.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Sevenfold86 and welcome to the ROG forum.

More than likely what is causing the overclocking failed is your RAM. What tells me this is you have done no overclocking except setting XMP.

Try raising the vccsa to 1.20v - 1.25v

When running ram higher than 2400MHz you want to use the 125 cpu strap.

The XMP profile already sets the voltage though? When the XMP Profile is set, 125 cpu strap is enabled by default and voltage is set to 1.35v

Nate152
OK, 1.35v is the Dram voltage. Try raising the vccsa voltage to 1.20v - 1.25v.

Nate152 wrote:
OK, 1.35v is the Dram voltage. Try raising the vccsa voltage to 1.20v - 1.25v.

This is going to sound like a complete noob question, but any idea where it is? I found VCCIO, though I can't seem to find VCCSA.

I've been out of the Desktop world for a bit, been tweaking an M18xR2 for the last few years, pardon my noobness.

Nate152
I don't have the Rampage V board so the vccsa voltage might be listed as the system agent voltage.

Try it at 1.15v first and if it fails try 1.20v and up to 1.25v if needed.

sevenfold86
Level 7
Nevermind, I found it. It's called CPU System Agent Voltage on the Rampage V, and it's at .856v

sevenfold86
Level 7
Just had a really strange experience... I accidentally went to change the date, and right when the prompt came up to edit the date... it froze in the BIOS :eek:

Nate152
Yes try raising that to 1.15v, if you still get the overclocking failed message try 1.20v and up to 1.25v.

You may even need less than that, but raising the system agent voltage should make your problem disappear.

Nate152
All right, try clearing the cmos again. Set the cpu system agent voltage to 1.15v then set X.M.P.

How does it go?