cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GTX980 Reference + ASUS GTX980 STRIX SLI

Cptken
Level 7
Hi,

i have an Asus GTX 980 Reference and would like to buy a second one for sli. But i cant't find an asus reference gtx 980.
Is ist possible to make a sli system with an reference board an a strix Version of asus gtx 980?

The reference board has bios version: 84.04.1F.00.49

The strix has bios version: 84.04.1F.00.02

Or would it be better if i buy another reference Card from another vendor with same bios version?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
Yes, you can use the Strix 980 with a reference GTX 980 for a two way SLI configuration. The Strix 980 will automatically downlock to match the reference GTX 980's frequency.

Would a 850W BeQuiet PSU okay for that setup?

Should is use the strix Version in first Slot and reference board in second slot?

Board is an ROG Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97.

Thanks

850W should be more than enough, the 900 series cards are know for their power efficiency. It shouldn't matter which order you have the cards in, as long as they are both in the red PCIe slots on the motherboard.

Cptken wrote:
Would a 850W BeQuiet PSU okay for that setup?

Should is use the strix Version in first Slot and reference board in second slot?

Board is an ROG Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97.

Thanks

Yes, that PSU will be sufficient for your needs.

Would it be better to buy a 2nd Reference card from another manufacturer, or do I buy a Asus GTX 980 Strix better. Does the clock down the Strix Reference to the card without problems although the GTX 980 Strix has a different bios version?

Thanks

Cptken
Level 7
My grilfriend bought a 2nd Asus GTX 980 in the Reference Design for Christmas. Now I'm happy.

Merry Christmas to all.

Chino
Level 15