cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak won't start when I log into Windows.

ALongEnoughName
Level 7
Hello, I'm really quite stumped about this.

GPU Tweak (2.8.2.0) won't start when I log into Windows (7 x64), and near as I can tell it won't start if AI Suite is already running. I've uninstalled it a few times, and I've even cleaned up the registry just in case.

The only way I can use it, is if I start it manually as soon as I log in, and before AI Suite starts. After its been able to start once, I can play with it all I like, and even exit it and restart it.

I quite like my Asus software, but I'm really stumped about this. Should I be switching to MSI After Burner?

I'm loathe to reinstall AI Suite, and go through all the tuning again. I have version 1.00.93 installed, and near as I can tell, its working fine.

(I used to have it working just fine, but I had rather hard crashes brought on by a Beta Test of Octane Render (blue screen driver crashes). So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled.)

My machine is as follows;
Intel i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9, 2XAsus STRIX GTX980 DirectCU II OC 4GB, 4XSamsung 840 EVO Raid 10, Win 7 x64 Pro.
7 REPLIES 7

Cereal16
Level 7
Dude, I've totally just experienced that same issue!

After updating to the latest version of 2.8.2.0, it simply won't start-up either by running as administrator, using the .exe from the directory it was installed to, the shortcut, or automatically starting. I mean it loads up the first time you restart after installing. Any further reboots will leave you without GPU tweak. After reinstalling an older version to my second hard drive rather than my SSD, I'm able to restart and keep it running.

Not sure why, but I'm thinking that the latest version is messed up. I don't know enough but I can second that I have very similar specs to you and I also am using AI suite. That program has caused more problems than it seems to be worth having it for.

Any insight on this would be great.

The problem only occurs when I tick the 'Keep setting for next start on close application' box. Leaving that unticked solves the problem.

Leaving it unticked does not prevent it from loading your previous profile so as long as you have the settings saved to a profile everything is good.

ALongEnoughName
Level 7
Thanks.. I will play with that.

I noticed a little more. If I wait a long time from start up, it will work reliably as well.

ALongEnoughName
Level 7
Cotts. I have the exact same rev... But its not displaying the same.

ALongEnoughName
Level 7
When I am able to start it, it pops up with "Do you want this program to make changes to your computer?" Which is part of User Account Control.

If I disable User Account Control, then the program starts when I start my PC.

Of course, disabling security is a less than wise option.

I'm still curious to know why different installations of the same program have different User Interfaces. I can't even comprehend how confusing bug fixing would be.

ALongEnoughName
Level 7
After Burner works just fine...

Dicehunter
Level 10
Same problem, 2.8.0.2 is unstable and crashes on startup, 2.7.9.0 is completely stable for me though.