cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time overclocker: how do you use the Auto Overclock features on Rog boards?

kissenger
Level 7
So I've got my new Sandybridge-based system up and running and I'm thinking about overclocking to get some more performance out of BF3. I don't know where to start so I thought I would make use of the auto overclocking features of the Gene-z, which I've heard are quite good.

But how exactly do I go about this? Is it something in the BIOS or something on the applications disc that came with my motherboard?
5 REPLIES 5

Kipper
Level 10
If you installed the A1 Suite II program you can open it up and you will find under Probe II this feature.

Or you can engage the TPU switch on the board and reboot,

Check out some of the reviews for your motherboard and surely you will see what you are looking for.

kissenger
Level 7
Thanks Kipper, I found it and ran auto-overclock. It took my up to 4.7Ghz on the extreme setting, which I was very impressed with. It also said the GPU was overclocked to 1400Mhz. I panicked at first because I assumed it was referring to my discrete GPU (a 570) which would fry at that clock!

I do have one problem though, which I was hoping someone on the board could help me with. TurboV seems to have incorporated some kind of power-saving feature into the overclock so that when my system isn't under stress it runs at 1.6Ghz. This would be fine for most of the time, but I want to disable that just to get a conclusive readout on the voltages and temperatures of the overclock and I can't do that with power-saving on because CPU-z and Asus Suite II just show the current values (i.e. what they are at 1.6Ghz). Is there anyway to disable that feature?

I went into BIOS and disabled EIST in the Tweaker menu and in the Advanced menu, but nothing happened. I also disabled C3, but C6 is still enabled. Would disabling that fix the problem or is it something else?

its intels turbo boost technology
guess u have an 2600k eh? anyway dont knw how to turn it off but google will help

Thanks. I think I figured out how to turn it off in the end, but unfortunately the overclock proved not to be stable. It was probably too much to ask for it to auto-overclock to 4.7Ghz in the space of 10 minutes and be stable over the long term. Or maybe it's just because I had some problems with graphics drivers (driver conflicts). I'm probably going to do a fresh install of everything and try auto-overclocking again.

I'm using a 2500k btw.

I am sort of new to the overclock world too, and I have read much about it. One thing you may look into is the long term impact of higher voltages on the CPU. Seems that you have to be careful around 1.4 core voltage and above and there are of course many other factors that affect the health / stability of the overclock. But read up on it - there is plenty of info out there and gurus with their take on it.

Some info on voltage limits...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2216673
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro