cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula VERY slow Posting and iROG loop.

CreamyJustice
Level 7
Hey peoples...Ive been a lurker for a while but decided to register because Ive run into some problems with my Maximus V Formula. I'll try to explain best I cant the whole situation without blabbing on too much. Here goes.

I bought the board second hand knowing about the iROG boot loop and having no onboard GPU. (Super cheap but thought it would be worth a punt to get a great board cheap) Anyway.I assembled the system which included:

- Corsair RM 650 psu
i5 2500k
8GB Vengeance Ram
Maximus V Forumla Mobo
Hardrive and SSD
Enermax Liqmax II 120s CPU cooler

This system isnt my main rig but Id still like to salvage it if possible. Please find attached Picture of bench/case I made I dont think its shorting out as Ive had other builds on it.

All assembled on a makeshift test bench that I took apart from an old case (have used this test bench on other builds). As far as I could tell the current BIOS was on 1903. When I hit start I get a few Q codes starting with 10 which stays at 10 for like what seems eternity (probs about 30-45 seconds) then might go to 13/14 or 15 then back to 10 speeds through different codes to 32 stays there again for a long time then makes its way into the 60's then to 70,72 hangs on 72 then onto 96 through to 99 then my keyboard lights along with the ASUS splash screen, but my keyboard doesn't respond so the delightful iROG starts updating... I've let it complete before but doesn't change anything. Also the LED'S for CPU, VGA, RAM and Boot Device do come on throughout the posting but go out and remain off by the time it gets to the 70's on the Q Codes.

I used flash back and tried 1604 just at random to see if anything changed it, flashes back fine but doesn't alter the outcome. After removing ram trying different Dimm slots, ssd'd connected and disconnected blah blah still didnt do anything. I've tied all the suggestions on these threads removing USB devices, making sure iROG is off on the back, Clearing CMOS via the button on the back and also removing the CMOS battery for a period of time all to no avail.

So after this I bought a new replacement BIOS Chip with 1903 on (current BIOS) removed all power, CMOS battery, old BIOS chip. Inserted the new BIOS Chip, CMOS battery back in and powered up the board and BAM Q Codes fly through and I can hit Delete and Im into the BIOS. WOOOHOOOO!

Me being the ass that I am wanted to adjust some cables before putting the bench back on my desk where I normally have it ( this is normal right?) So I power down. Sort the cables and boot....Oh look back to square one... So after a while of trouble shooting again and removing and re inserting the BIOS chip I snap a pin on the BIOS Chip... Not cool. No biggy I just ordered another apart from the fact the new one didnt do anything. So Im back to square one. Now with the added Q code of b2 when the splash screen appears.

What I know so far is the board DOES work. Im just not sure what else to do. I cant keep buying BIOS Chips. (and for them not to work) Flash back works and updates as it should on the current BIOS Chip so as far as I can tell the chip isn't faulty.

Please help me. Its driving me MADDDD! Cant RMA as its second hand etc..

If theres any further info you need just ask.

Thanks guys I look forward to your replies.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello CreamyJustice

Purchasing a motherboard that sounds defective from the beginning is not a good idea but with a new bios chip you were able to get to the bios so there may be hope.

So with a third bios chip you get display but stops on code b2 and you can't enter the bios? Correct me if I'm wrong but let's start from here.

Code B2 = Legacy Option Rom Initialization

The 2500k does have onboard graphics, you could try removing the pcie gpu and connecting to the onboard graphics and see if that lets you enter the bios, also try with only 1 stick of ram. You could try with another keyboard if you have one.

It looks like you have some drives connected to the sata ports, disconnect them all and see if it lets you enter the bios and gives you code A2 or AE. Basically strip it down to a bare minimum and see if you are able to enter the bios.

Thanks Nate152, Im pretty sure Ive tried the onboard graphics but I will try again. I know for sure Ive already tried a single stick of RAM in different slots too. I have another keyboard I can try so will do that also.

I think I've received code A2 before and that was when I was connected to the onboard graphics but I had no picture even though A2 suggests im in the BIOS or is that incorrect?

I knew there was a risk in purchasing a second hand board but it was too cheap to pass up. I was aware of the fault but Im a hobbyist and like to build systems on the side so thought Id take a stab at trying to fix it and use it if I can solve it. "One mans garbage is anthers treasure" as they say.

Does this board clear and reset if powered on with nothing not even the CPU in place I've herd some boards do? I also dont have the drives connected when powering up. I just would have thought a new BIOS chip would have pretty much been the answer since it worked the first time I dont know why the 3rd didnt make a difference. :confused:

Nate152
With minimal components connected power down your pc, hold the clear cmos button on the I/O panel (the one with the green circular arrow) for 3 seconds then try booting. Clearing the cmos resets the bios to defaults.

Code A2 with no display would point to the gpu and can also be connectivity with your monitor, with no display it's hard to say if you made it to the bios.

I can't tell if your gpu has pcie connectors but if it does make sure you have the pcie cables connected.

Nope the discrete gpu doesn't have power cables. I bought the gpu as I discovered I wasn't getting any display from the onboard so just got a budget card to fill the requirements of just getting a picture.

Really appreciate you time and thoughts btw. Im also going to buy some new CMOS batteries tomorrow as Ive read low or depleted can cause boards to take on a mind of their own 😕 I wish I could just clear CMOS and flash back to an earlier version on the BIOS and be job done. I really despise iROG lol

Nate152
Have you cleared the cmos with the button on the I/O panel?

You can flash the bios to an earlier version, here is a guide you can follow.

Rename the bios file to M5F.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

If this doesn't help we may end up running in circles trying to fix a faulty motherboard. You should be getting display with the onboard graphics. Maybe try another monitor cable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2317725/code.html

Are you connecting to a monitor or tv?

I'll try again after dinner if thats ok? What happens if I cant get no onboard video to work? As I have it working through the discrete gpu 😕

Nate152
You can try another monitor cable if you have one (hdmi or displayport) or connecting to another monitor. Are you connecting to a pc monitor or TV? If you're connecting to a TV you may have to set the tv settings to hdmi or displayport.

If you can't get display with either the pcie gpu or the onboard gpu then try reflashing the bios.