cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling SLI results in an instant BSOD

yannickhk
Level 7
Hi guys,

I recently finished my build and had quite a few BSOD problems. First with the vertex 3 but I was able to fix that problem by upgrading to RST enterprise and updating the firmware of the MB.

But I can't enable SLI. I tried all cards individually and they work just fine. tried SLI with 2 cards and 3 cards, changing the slots, changing the bridge .... everything. it just won't work. When I enable SLI in the nvidia control panel, the screen flickers and BSOD or instant reboot.

Please help

i7-3960x
Rampage IV Extreme
Gskill 4x4GB Ripjawz
3 x Evga GTX580
Platimax 1500w
Vertex 3 240GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bts

PS: I've asked the question at OCN, they've pointed me to this forum.
13 REPLIES 13

InnervateD
Level 10
Try plugging in the EZ_PLUG_1 for extra power on the motherboard for the PCI-Express lanes. It's a 6pin power connector near the sound jacks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I assume all your cards have the same amount of GDDR memory.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey i have the same problem except that my screen changes the res. on my monitor.
Dont quite know why this happens but it looks like theres are problem with the Graphic Drivers.
The way i handle this is that i go to the device manager and from there i turn off the graphic card nr2 wich seems to loose connection with the motherboard or something...
Well anyways i turn it off and turn it on and the system works normal with SLI.
And the same thing when i turn off SLI the Graphic drivers messes up, i have to turn off both graphic cards.
And restart the computer and then turn them on and ONCE AGAIN! restart my pc and im back to Normal mode with 1 Card.
So this problem might be because the Graphic drivers needs to be updated by nvidia.
Now about your problem that your computer gets BSOD when turning on SLI MODE, i have no idea.
I just hope they fix this problem soon...

Update: ok just an update for you, i found the solution for the SLI problems.
Well atleast they worked for me, i just turned of HPTE and put the SLI Slots on GEN 2.
Probobly not neces. to put them on GEN 2 but it worked for me.

// OLIMOPA

OLIMOPA wrote:
Hey i have the same problem except that my screen changes the res. on my monitor.
Dont quite know why this happens but it looks like theres are problem with the Graphic Drivers.
The way i handle this is that i go to the device manager and from there i turn off the graphic card nr2 wich seems to loose connection with the motherboard or something...
Well anyways i turn it off and turn it on and the system works normal with SLI.
And the same thing when i turn off SLI the Graphic drivers messes up, i have to turn off both graphic cards.
And restart the computer and then turn them on and ONCE AGAIN! restart my pc and im back to Normal mode with 1 Card.
So this problem might be because the Graphic drivers needs to be updated by nvidia.
Now about your problem that your computer gets BSOD when turning on SLI MODE, i have no idea.
I just hope they fix this problem soon...

Update: ok just an update for you, i found the solution for the SLI problems.
Well atleast they worked for me, i just turned of HPTE and put the SLI Slots on GEN 2.
Probobly not neces. to put them on GEN 2 but it worked for me.

// OLIMOPA

This might be a stupid question but how did you turn your graphic card off in the device manager? And I have the exact same problem than you when I try to enable SLI with 2 cards. Get some funky resolution and it's stuck there. Even after reboot, nvidia control panel doesn't recognize the cards and I have to install the drivers again.

The BSOD happens only when I try enabling SLI with 3 cards. I read somewhere that it might be because I use the HDMI port or such. Also I have 2 x EVGA GTX580 and a MSI GTX580 twin frozr 2 (same ddram and layout but different BIOS)

Since finishing this build I have been plagued with BSODs, from graphics to random ones.

BTW guys I can't boot into memtest. It loops none stop, a flicker at memtest's screen, reboot, a flicker at memtest's screen, reboot so and so on .... Could the random be caused by a bad RAM? I tried running the machine with only one stick, had the same random BSOD so I assumed that it was something else. I also used my old kit which is rock solid, same issue.

Man, i'm getting really annoyed 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Maybe you should download a different version of memtest and try that.

I like the USB version best.

Oh and could you start your own thread please that way we can focus on one problem. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok, the pbs with SLI is apparently common. Has to do with windows defender and the monitor being connected through HDMI.

I'm gonna create another thread with all my other problems (very long list)

8_Pack
Level 12
I had problems with TRi sli on both this board and maximus 4, Turn off HPET worked for me in both cases. I started a thread about this result on XS months ago. Try disabling HPET. Interestingly it must be Nvidia drivers ultimately causing teh fault. I have AMD 7970 now in TRi Fire and they work 100% fine with HPET enabled although there are other bios problems.

8 Pack wrote:
I had problems with TRi sli on both this board and maximus 4, Turn off HPET worked for me in both cases. I started a thread about this result on XS months ago. Try disabling HPET. Interestingly it must be Nvidia drivers ultimately causing teh fault. I have AMD 7970 now in TRi Fire and they work 100% fine with HPET enabled although there are other bios problems.

Alright thx, now what is hpet and how do i turn it off 😛

yannickhk wrote:
Alright thx, now what is hpet and how do i turn it off 😛

Its in the Bios : Advanced -> PCH Configuration -> "and there you have it"