cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect CPU Power Reporting?

ernest_eedesign
Level 7
Not an Overclocking expert...

I've updated to latest bios and installed some of the new Z370 drivers and playing with overclocking again.

I've noticed that the "CPU Package Power" is being reported as extremely low in multiple programs even while under load like Prime95 (e.g. 12W in HWMonitor & Afterburner & HWINFO). Is anyone else having similar issues since recent bios update? I don't recall this being a problem in the past.

Edit:
Z370-e
OC is at 4.9 GHz
LLC=6
Vcore=1.26 (seems stable)
Noctua NHD-15 with thermalgrizzly paste (no delid)
Prime95 temps around 75degC, peaks in the low 80's.
6 REPLIES 6

seb0r36
Level 7
Do you have CPU SVID support enabled in BIOS?*

seb0r36 wrote:
Do you have CPU SVID support enabled in BIOS?*

It does seem that disabling SVID support leads to the incorrect Power being reported. I guess because this disables the CPU<->VRM communication... But then again it's recommended for Overclocking to disable.

Which I find a bit odd in that while overclocking and monitoring temps/vcore, I've also read recommendations to monitor the power consumption estimate.

Once back in Adaptive mode with SVID back on it returns to normal power reporting.

Deepcuts
Level 10
Look for CPU Power in Asus EC section (HWinfo). That is always correct, even with SVID disabled.

amdscooter
Level 7
^^^ What he said. The VCORE reported in the MOBO subsection of the Sensor Status window in HWINFO should be reporting the VCORE accurately even with SVID disabled. It's what I use:

Here's a slightly on topic question. Anyone know if there is a way to get Afterburner to report CPU Vcore with SVID disabled? I've tried the HWINFO plugin with no success.. AB only reports Watts?
Hardware: Case Corsair 900D | EVGA 1600W PSU | i7-8086k@5Ghz | ASUS Max X Hero | 16GB (2 x 8GB) Gskill Trident DDR4-4133 | 2xEVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti-SLI | 3 x HP OMEN 32" LCD | 512GB 950 Pro M.2 | 2x 500GB 850 EVO RAID 0 | 2x 3TB WD Green RAID 1 | Sound Blaster X G5

Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU block | EK GPU Blocks | Swiftech MCP655 Pump | Monsoon Dual reservoir | HW Labs Black Ice GTX 240 & XSPC RX480 Radiator(s) GT AP-15 fans

amdscooter wrote:
^^^ What he said. The VCORE reported in the MOBO subsection of the Sensor Status window in HWINFO should be reporting the VCORE accurately even with SVID disabled. It's what I use:

Here's a slightly on topic question. Anyone know if there is a way to get Afterburner to report CPU Vcore with SVID disabled? I've tried the HWINFO plugin with no success.. AB only reports Watts?

He was talking about the power readout, not vcore.

ftln46
Level 9
Which one of the above screenshot is the VRM temp ?