cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Life Problems?

Makaizen
Level 7
When the battery is at 100% charge, I only get about 1 hour 30mins of battery life on power saver at idle. I looked around the internet and most reviews had at least 2 hours.
According to HWiNFO, the battery has a 2.8% wear level which I don't think should be a issue.

I did notice that the battery that came with the PC had scratches and the production date was August 2011 so could it possibly lost some of its life over the months?
6 REPLIES 6

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Which notebook do you have?

This depends what you're using your notbook to, if you are on battery saving and uses a lot of programs, then the battery would drain fast.
If your notebook is almost idle at the time it is in battery saving, then it sounds like the battery it self is going to be weak, as you're saying: "production date was August 2011 so could it possibly lost some of its life over the months"

How is it with the latest updates for your notebook? Is it up to date or are many of the hardware not updated?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fostert
Level 12
Makaizen wrote:
When the battery is at 100% charge, I only get about 1 hour 30mins of battery life on power saver at idle. I looked around the internet and most reviews had at least 2 hours.
According to HWiNFO, the battery has a 2.8% wear level which I don't think should be a issue.

I did notice that the battery that came with the PC had scratches and the production date was August 2011 so could it possibly lost some of its life over the months?

Yeah, my battery for my G74 only gives me ~90 minutes or so. Wear level 3%. I've never tested it fully though with the wireless off (they consume alot of power), no peripherals, KB backlight off, and the screen brightness turned all the way down, to see what the absolute max is.
This is a desktop replacement, and as such is never meant to be away from the wall for long.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi

Which notebook do you have?

This depends what you're using your notbook to, if you are on battery saving and uses a lot of programs, then the battery would drain fast.
If your notebook is almost idle at the time it is in battery saving, then it sounds like the battery it self is going to be weak, as you're saying: "production date was August 2011 so could it possibly lost some of its life over the months"

How is it with the latest updates for your notebook? Is it up to date or are many of the hardware not updated?

I have a G74sx-th71 and I updated just about everything. My friend has a G73sw and somehow he manages to get more than 3hrs.

fostert wrote:
Yeah, my battery for my G74 only gives me ~90 minutes or so. Wear level 3%. I've never tested it fully though with the wireless off (they consume alot of power), no peripherals, KB backlight off, and the screen brightness turned all the way down, to see what the absolute max is.
This is a desktop replacement, and as such is never meant to be away from the wall for long.

I did realize this but I was just curious on how long other people's battery life were.

Werewolf13
Level 7
I'm in the same boat. With the P4G set to Battery saving I get about an hour and a half. And I suspect it was built in Nov 2011 so the battery is probably of Oct or Sep manufacture. I've some experience LiPolyIon batteries (I believe that's the type of battery the G74 uses) and have some that I've used for 2 years or more with no degradation.

That said: dummy that I am it never occured to me to turn off the radios and the keyboard lights too. I may try that and see what kind of life I get out of the battery. Since my primary use of my unit is surfing the web and games it won't really matter much if life goes up to 2.5 to 3hrs anyway.

Like you my unit stays connected to the wall 98% of the time it is on.

dstrakele
Level 14
That big ol' 17.3" display draws most of the power. So if you're taking a break from surfing, turn off the display with Fn-F7, and/or configure the display to shut down after a minute of inactivity while on battery in "Power Options". That configuration will also turn off the keyboard backlight, another power consumer. A simple touch to the touchpad or key press lights everything up again when you get back to work.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

380mcn
Level 9
no power4gear installed, only windows and drivers:

performance: 80min
battery saving: 3hrs.