cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX X470-F: 2700x stock temp and voltage questions

sts90
Level 7
Good evening all,

Could Ya'll help me out here: I finally upgraded from my much aged 2600k (OC 4.6GHZ for years) to the 2700x on ROG STRIX X470-F. I find the stock voltages and temps out of control. I have the latest 4024 BIOS, with a H60i push/ pull setup on a fan control with speed maxed out in ambient temperature room of 19-20 c with board on stock setting precision boost enable, and this chip runs HOT. Prime 95 (v29.4 build 😎 runs 4.1- 4.15 temp 65-68c no spikes and AIDA 64 (v5.98.48) runs 4.05-4.1 temps ranging 78-85c with spikes 88-89c. The volts to core run 1.4 to 1.45 on either test. I did pull the CPU and check and re-paste with TG-7 vs generic and that maybe dropped it 1c. All temps and voltages match verified with Ryzen master, AIDA46, and HW Monitor. The system has run solid for a month and all tests despite high temps completed 10-15 hour burn-ins no drops, BSOD, or errors. So is this a problem or is this normal? Do I need to buy a stronger cooling solution? Or this a warranty matter with defective chip? I cannot seem to find a solid answer on what is safe and what is not. AMD lists max temp at 85C precision boost just blows through that on AIDA64. I am open to ideas here.

Thanks,
Sts90
1 REPLY 1

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sts90 hello there mate.

I think if you are coming from 2600K which was a very cool CPU to the 2700X you are certainly going to notice significant temp differences.

Also the voltages that these AMD is in the ball park too. You can manually set the voltage to 1.4 and see how that works out for you. The CPU will boost up to 4.3GHz out of the box and there are a whole heap of cores to power mate.

Your cooler will do the job as you have clearly seen it do. Would a upgrade in cooler make a difference, yes if the upgrade was significant. Say to a 320 AIO or a custom loop. Worth doing? I do not think so unless you really plan in OC the CPU more.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.