cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on new gaming laptop

UrizielTSD
Level 7
Hello folks,
since almost two years I own the GL702VM from ASUS, for a working machine it was always great but for gaming not so much 😕 (overheating, throttling,)
And with new games like Battlefield 5 it's getting worse and really annoying 😕
So I want to upgrade to a newer model next month or start of next year 😄

I'm not so up-to-date with the new generation of gaming laptops, and hope I can get some advice 😮

I saw that new Max-Q generation of Nvidia is enabling high performance and low sound emission 😉 Which I'm quite excited about if it's true!!

I'm would use my laptop to work/university and gaming, awesome would be to be able to play newer games like Battlefield 5 with >60FPS on Ultra. Without any overheating, throttling, or other problem 😄

My major problem is that I require a laptop with a low fan noise (so I was happy about Max-Q;)), and acceptable temperature on the keyboard while playing.

I think the 1070 Max-Q is more then enough for this ? the 1080 Max-Q looks awesome but I imagine it produces a lot more heat and requires more power ?

I saw the new Zephyrus series ! Which look so awesome! But from this forum the battery has a huge problem ??
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Max-Q cards are slightly slower than the same tier of GPU but that is because Nvidia mandates a strict noise ceiling. Regular cards will run as fast as they can without overheating. I would say that if you have the money you might as well get the 1080 max q because for the same noise level you will get more performance. If cost is a concern then certainly the 1070 is a great GPU.

Regarding throttling: Basically *all* current Nvidia GPUs are designed to throttle. They have power and temperature targets and will throttle to meet those as necessary. So it's really just a matter of how much they might throttle. The better the cooling the less they will throttle. I would recommend finding a real world review of whatever laptops you are considering as cooling will vary between manufacturers and even between generations from the same manufacturer.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the input!
I did some researches using the notebookcheck website! They got noise and heat as data which is helpful.
I checked the GX501 with the 1080, the price is still ok for me but the Temperatur is a bit of troublesome for me.

The new generation with the i7 8750H seem to be really lacking cooling from any brand 😕

Currently the GX501VS is interesting, good performance, quite fans and acceptable heat.
But still wondering about the battery issue I read about on here ?

UrizielTSD wrote:
Thanks for the input!
I did some researches using the notebookcheck website! They got noise and heat as data which is helpful.
I checked the GX501 with the 1080, the price is still ok for me but the Temperatur is a bit of troublesome for me.

The new generation with the i7 8750H seem to be really lacking cooling from any brand 😕

Currently the GX501VS is interesting, good performance, quite fans and acceptable heat.
But still wondering about the battery issue I read about on here ?

About my GX501VS - fighting with ASUS to get my cash back - avoid all Zephyruses. After one year they repleaced my vents and cooling system, but it still doesnt help. During Stress Test in Intel Xtreme Ultility + Launched PUBG on Ultra in window - look at temps. Even INTEL says that its bad. My friend got ACED Predator Triton and its way better if we are talking about performance and noise.

xeromist
Not sure about the battery thing. It definitely seems to be an issue for some people but at this point appears rare. There are a number of people here on the forum with the issue but when you consider how many laptops ASUS sells it would be rare. So it depends whether ASUS has changed battery suppliers and whether you feel lucky.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just my opinion....The words Gaming and laptop should never exist in the same sentence unless you are talking about mine sweeper. They all get hot, they all have crappy battery run time. I buy them for the specs for other things I do. For gaming you cant be competitive on a laptop.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein