cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI formula m.2 and sound issues

Heebus
Level 7
Hi all, I just put together my new build and and am having 2 issues, no sound from speaker ( thinking its them, and m.2 is not showing up in windows 10. so the build is the maximus XI Formula, I9 9900k, asus 2080 super advanced. So long storey, kinda short, put system together, got in bios, can see the m.2. Couldnt get my usb to except and media install set up, so took my old Hdd out of my old system. After getting into windows n updating my drivers, every registers n seem fine. Just the noi sound n cant see m.2 in windows. Now my hopes are the speakers are old n wont work, but not sure of M.2 issue. I want to format the m.2, and copy my old hard drive onto it, then boot from m.2, and then format my old drive n use it as extra storage. Any ideas?
And the wicked shall inherit the earth...
8 REPLIES 8

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
If i understand correct was not a clean install.

Media ??

use drivers from the ASUS WEBSITE help desk. bios mei and chipset then audio. report back if the M2 do not see it windows, you need to to activate the drive. on windows open create and format particion and put that driver activate and make a partition.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Heebus
Level 7
OK got them downloading now, tried n installed all but BIOS update earlier... I wanted to originally use a usb thumb drive n install window 10 from it, but for some reason it kept failing to write to usb, so thats why I switched to the old HDD, just to clarify

Heebus
Level 7
never did A BIOS update, u put that on a thumb drive and install in BIOS, correct?

Heebus
Level 7
ok, so downloaded and installed BIOS, MEi Choipset and audio drivers, still no change, M.2 doesnt show up, in disk management, so cant format or partion, and still no sound

Ch3vr0n
Level 11
M.2 by itself means absolutely zero. M.2 is a formfactor, what brand and model of M.2 drives are you using and are you using them in the proper slot. You have M.2 SATA ssd's and nvme ssd's. And although you can plug a sata one into an nvme only slot, the 2 communication protocols are NOT interchangeable.

Heebus
Level 7
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) I put it in socket M.2

Ch3vr0n
Level 11
they're both M.2, there's M.2_1 and M.2_2 but since it's an nvme drive and not a sata one, that's not the problem either.

Heebus
Level 7
my whole intention here was to install a fresh windows 10 pro on the m.2, but after having issues with making a bootable usb ( install kept failing 50%), I got frustrated and decided to pull my old HHD from my original build, after getting into windows and updating drivers and getting everything smoothed out, I was hoping I could just copy that drive to my M.2 and then format it and use it as storage. My thoughts are that because the drive was never formatted, windows cant see it. If I make a bootable, disconnect the working drive, and install windows to the M.2, I could then migrate info to the M.2 and then formatt old HHD... I think I am answer my own question, but was hoping some one might have noticed something I missed.