Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    27

    PCIEX16_2 Bandwidth check your GPU

    My board is a Asus X570 Formula VIII im running BIOS 1001

    I have a Nvidia 2070 Super

    When i go into the BIOS under Advanced>OnBoard Device configuration PCIEX16_2 bandwidth shows as X8 Mode (the other option is Auto)

    Under Tool > Graphics Card information > GPU Post

    It shows Slot : PCIEX16_2 as "Running at x8 Native" - it also says "install the GPU in PCIEX16_1 or PCIEX16_2"

    my GPU is installed in slot 2 (PCIEX16_2)

    Both Slot 1 & slot 2 i presume can support x16, hence their naming PCIEX16!

    Why is my GPU only running at x8, its directly plugged into the motherboard.



  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    37

    Might want to consider reading the manual that Asus provide for your motherboard...?

    Or even the info text at the bottom of your second photo for that matter...

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    27

    My brain just farted

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    27

    fixed moved to slot 1


  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Syaoran PC Specs
    Syaoran PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GP62 7RD
    MotherboardGigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.8GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ (4 X 8GB) @ 3333 C14-13-13-13-34
    Graphics Card #1Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56
    Graphics Card #2Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56
    MonitorSamsung 49" LC49HG900MNXZA 32:9
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda Pro 6TB
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 360
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo SE (Green)
    Power SupplySilverStone Strider ST1200G
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
    Headset Corsair VOID Pro Wireless RGB
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo HT-S7700
    OS Windows 10 Education x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68W
    Syaoran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    264

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcoleman View Post
    My board is a Asus X570 Formula VIII im running BIOS 1001

    I have a Nvidia 2070 Super

    When i go into the BIOS under Advanced>OnBoard Device configuration PCIEX16_2 bandwidth shows as X8 Mode (the other option is Auto)

    Under Tool > Graphics Card information > GPU Post

    It shows Slot : PCIEX16_2 as "Running at x8 Native" - it also says "install the GPU in PCIEX16_1 or PCIEX16_2"

    my GPU is installed in slot 2 (PCIEX16_2)

    Both Slot 1 & slot 2 i presume can support x16, hence their naming PCIEX16!

    Why is my GPU only running at x8, its directly plugged into the motherboard.


    Most motherboards only have x8 PCE-X16 slots for slot two. There are not enough PCI-E lanes on Ryzen CPU's to support more than one GPU running at x16. Most Threadripper parts do have enough PCI-E lanes to run both slots at x16/x16 but those boards and CPU's also cost a little more.
    Syaoran

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
    Most motherboards only have x8 PCE-X16 slots for slot two. There are not enough PCI-E lanes on Ryzen CPU's to support more than one GPU running at x16. Most Threadripper parts do have enough PCI-E lanes to run both slots at x16/x16 but those boards and CPU's also cost a little more.
    yea moved to slot 1 fixed it just rubbish why its still labelled PCIEX16 on slot 2!!!! confusing.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Syaoran PC Specs
    Syaoran PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GP62 7RD
    MotherboardGigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.8GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ (4 X 8GB) @ 3333 C14-13-13-13-34
    Graphics Card #1Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56
    Graphics Card #2Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56
    MonitorSamsung 49" LC49HG900MNXZA 32:9
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda Pro 6TB
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 360
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo SE (Green)
    Power SupplySilverStone Strider ST1200G
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
    Headset Corsair VOID Pro Wireless RGB
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo HT-S7700
    OS Windows 10 Education x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68W
    Syaoran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    264

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcoleman View Post
    yea moved to slot 1 fixed it just rubbish why its still labelled PCIEX16 on slot 2!!!! confusing.
    Physically, it is. It will fit a PCI-x16 card. However, there are only enough traces to run the slot at x8. It does mention that in the boards specs and manual.
    Syaoran

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •