cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Advice needed

shogun94
Level 7
I am looking at building a new PC based on a X570 Asus Crosshair 8 wifi MB with a Ryzen 9 3900X. I am considering if I want to get 32 or 64 gig of RAM since I like to run VM's under windoze 10. My question is about the RAM configuration,...

Most of the kits on the Motherboard QVL have 4 sticks and not 2 to get 64Gig. I would prefer to only fill 2 slots for the future but maybe with 64 Gig I shouldn't ever have to be concerned with that.

Would the system be more stable with 4X16 gig than 2x32 gig?

I assume I'm going to get good RAM but considering I get good RAM, would having 32Gig be more stable than 64 Gig if I do ever want to play with OC'ing?

I think having 32Gig would be enough now but my current system (1st gen I7) is about 10 years old I assume the next system would last just as long or longer so I'm assuming I'll have it for a while and may want to add more memory so I was thinking of starting with 64 Gig if there is no down side other than the initial cost..

Thanks,
DB
1 REPLY 1

AS185
Level 10
Well, the board supports up to 128GB of ram. If you're looking to occupy all of the slots then you can stick to kits with 2x32GB. Keep in mind if you decide to overclock the maximum ram capacity on this board, it'll be up to a certain speed. I doubt you would be able to overclock it over 4000MHz. I don't know anyone at the moment that has a high ram frequency with 128GB installed. But that day will come eventually with new BIOS released.
Anyhow, if you decide to play with 64GB, it's better to occupy all dimm channel's, which is in this case 4x16. There's something about it. More stability, more efficient & better overclocking ability. Currently, I don't see why you wouldn't overclock 64GB of ram into the extreme. Most users out there attain extreme values with 16 or 32GB, however 64GB is definitely achievable.