cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - FRONT USB-C 3.1 gen 2 connection issues / disconnects

razlebol
Level 7
Hi,

Every time I plug something, it's keeps on disconnecting/reconnecting.

5600x / tried stock and overclock
b550-i
32gig ram / tried stock and overclock
NZXT h1

Tried every bios compatible with Zen 3, they all have the same issue. I even changed the module for the USB port which I ordered from NZXT as I thought it was defective but the same thing happens.

Is this a firmware issue? Anyone else having issues with the front USB-C 3.1 gen 2?

I bought this board because it had a USB-C 3.1 gen 2 header.. If it doesn't work properly, I would have bought another board.
10 REPLIES 10

razlebol
Level 7
Am I alone with this problem or no one is using the front USB-C connector?

I'm ordering 10GBPS usb-c cables to make sure the cable is not the problem.. We'll see.

Bios 1801 fixed my issue 😄

Every other zen 3 compatible bios before that one didn't work.

Thank you.

razlebol wrote:
Bios 1801 fixed my issue 😄

Every other zen 3 compatible bios before that one didn't work.

Thank you.

Which is a pretty old BIOS version. As mentioned in that other thread, upgrade to the latest version which as of today is 3402 (uses the new 1.2.0.0 AGESA version).

FWIW, USB issues have plagued all X570 chipsets from the day these all came out (long before the new 5000 series processors came out), and I am not convinced 3402 will put that issue to bed completely. It is worth however disabling legacy support as it should not really be needed. I am actually surprised it is enabled by default. I now only have one device causing issues in respects to disconnects, but I think that is down to a specific driver issue the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge. The issues however are getting better with the newer BIOS versions.

https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

1801 is the latest Bios on that board and is using the 1.2.0.0 AGESA version.

It's also a B550 board and not a x570..

razlebol wrote:
1801 is the latest Bios on that board and is using the 1.2.0.0 AGESA version.

It's also a B550 board and not a x570..

Have you disabled legacy support? That seems to help at least in my case.

What other BIOS options have you tried?

FWIW, I have a USB device which is definitely causing me pain. In my case the manufacturer refuses to issue a new driver and it's not been working since the latest Windows release from September/October. I don't know what devices you have installed, but the driver might also be causing issues in your case.

FWIW, I can't say I have perfect stability, but removing a fingerprint sensor I had as well as selecting legacy has definitely helped with me. I do however get some odd heat issues in idle, but since removing the USB device, that appears to have potentially settled down (which is strange).

As an FYI, it is worth checking out the overclockers UK forum if you get a moment. Lots of people there who are aware of all of these issues trying out various different bios options to solve.

I already said that the USB issue was fixed with the latest 1801 for me.

alex_soboliev
Level 7
razlebol wrote:
Hi,

Every time I plug something, it's keeps on disconnecting/reconnecting.

5600x / tried stock and overclock
b550-i
32gig ram / tried stock and overclock
NZXT h1

Tried every bios compatible with Zen 3, they all have the same issue. I even changed the module for the USB port which I ordered from NZXT as I thought it was defective but the same thing happens.

Is this a firmware issue? Anyone else having issues with the front USB-C 3.1 gen 2?

I bought this board because it had a USB-C 3.1 gen 2 header.. If it doesn't work properly, I would have bought another board.

I'm having exact same problem on Z-690 Maximus hero. All cables check and working. It has something to do with power that motherboard provides I think... But I'd love to see a fix

I have the same problem. BIOS version 2603. In the previous version there was a problem too. The rear USB works without problems. The front ones unfortunately do not. The connection only works temporarily, as soon as something starts copying it's over. The USB device disconnects and reconnects immediately, breaking the connection. It's really annoying. I think I'm going to have to get an RMA again. This is the third Asus board where I'm having problems with some USB. Probably the last Asus at my house...