Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Which PBO in Bios for Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

HI guys, so I have a 5900X and Asus VIII Crosshair Dark Hero board.
    I was looking at the PBO in the Bios. I just realized that there are 2 PBOs in the Bios, one is under Extreme Overclocking and one is under Advanced.
    So which one am I supposed to use if I want to use PBO to overclock?

New ROGer Array Milkysunshine PC Specs
    Milkysunshine PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO | GIGABYTE AORUS z590 ELITE AX
    ProcessorAMD 5950x | Intel 11900k
    Memory (part number)64g Ballistix 3600 @ 3766 (BL16G36C16U4BL.M8FB1) | 64g Ballistix 3200 @ 3800 (BL16G32C16U4BL.M16FE)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS RTX 2070 Super Turbo | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING
    Storage #1WD SN850 1TB | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | 6 x WD RED Nas Array
    CPU CoolerThermaltake 360 AIO | NZXT Kraken X53 240 AIO
    CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow | Fractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA
    Keyboard ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE | Generic Mechanical
    Mouse ASUS ROG GLADIUS II ORIGIN | Logitech G602

Quote Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
    HI guys, so I have a 5900X and Asus VIII Crosshair Dark Hero board.
    I was looking at the PBO in the Bios. I just realized that there are 2 PBOs in the Bios, one is under Extreme Overclocking and one is under Advanced.
    So which one am I supposed to use if I want to use PBO to overclock?

I found the AMD overclocking section in advanced to be far more reliable and predictable. I leave everything in the asus tab on auto.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

OK but are you sure that is OK to do? Does leaving it on Auto in the Extreme Overclocking section affect settings in the AMD overclocking section. Seems like Asus needs to clean this up.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I can't change the PPT, TDC and EDC in the Amd overclock section in the Bios. It only works when I change them in the Extreme Overclock section.
    Not only that, but Amd Ryzen Master (software) only read the PPT, TDC and EDC values from the ones in the Asus Extreme Overclock section in the Bios.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
    I can't change the PPT, TDC and EDC in the Amd overclock section in the Bios. It only works when I change them in the Extreme Overclock section.
    Not only that, but Amd Ryzen Master (software) only read the PPT, TDC and EDC values from the ones in the Asus Extreme Overclock section in the Bios.
    Hmm. I will need to check this out. Thanks for the heads up. Does this mean we should be using the Extreme Overclock section and NOT the AMD section, or some things in one section and other things in the other section? Not confusing at all. Why did Asus do this?

New ROGer Array

In amd overclocking I set my ppt tdc edc to 740 480 640 which is what they were on my x370 Taichi but the values seem to be hardlocked at 395 255 200. Can these be adjusted to custom values either under xfr pbo or asus pbo options?

ROG Enthusiast Array

is there much to gain from using PBO or overclocking 5000 series? i thought they were already pushed up to their limit

New ROGer Array

I am new to the CrossHair VIII Dark Hero BIOS ver 3801 myself, however, one of the features that got me to pair this platform with the Ryzen 9 5950x is the fact that it is capable of Dynamic OverClocking features. You have the option to take advantage of the AMD auto turbo boost features, as well as dialing in specific parameters for AI PBO to keep, Dynamic boost options, a one of a kind feature currently available with the X570 platforms.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by criznittle View Post
    is there much to gain from using PBO or overclocking 5000 series? i thought they were already pushed up to their limit
    On my 5900X by manually tuning the PBO settings I get a 2.5% higher score in CBR20 MT, compared to the default settings. That's a rough sizing of the kind of improvement you may get
    Last edited by Kelutrel; 08-31-2021 at 12:24 AM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Hello,

Use the PBO settings located under the Extreme Tweaker menu

Quote Originally Posted by criznittle View Post
    Short answer is it depends on your intended workload. Increasing the power envelope allows for some headroom in high current multithreaded workloads. For gaming, there's not much benefit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast