cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard cannot boot

gustavyeung
Level 7
Hi all,

I am new to here and unfortunately my first post ever is a request for help.

I got a new Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard early September. After I assembled everything and tried to power up using the on-board "Start" button, nothing happened. The fans didn't spin. Only the on-board OLED was playing "cartoon". 2 days ago I got a new board replacement with the local distributor. This evening I assembled the motherboard with minimum parts: only the CPU, one RAM and GPU. I powered up the board with on-board "Start" button. Again, nothing happened. Fans didn't spin. Only the on-board OLED was playing the little movie, without showing any POST codes. The Q LEDs didn't light up, implying the CPU/GPU/RAM were ok.

The picture at the bottom is how the board looks.

Can anyone suggest what can go wrong? I have replaced the board so the board is very unlikely to be faulty. The following is the basic configurations:

CPU: AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Threadripperâ„¢ 3960X 24-core TRX Processor
RAM G.skill F4-3200C16Q-128GTZN (I used only one module to test boot)
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTXâ„¢ 3090 XTREME WATERFORCE WB 24G

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Gustav
3 REPLIES 3

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi gustavyeung,
Have you replaced the power supply and cleared cmos?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632/
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi gustavyeung,
Have you replaced the power supply and cleared cmos?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632/
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN,

Thanks for your response and suggestion.

Today I brought the motherboard to the local distributor asking them to test out the board. With their own power supply, RAM and GPU, the board managed to boot, passed the POST and got the BIOS setup screen.

Having confirmed it having no problem, I brought the board home and connected it with the PSU of my current PC. Miraculously the RGB on the board, GPU and RAM lit up. The board passed POST and I could see the BIOS setup screen.

I connected the board back to the new PSU and then there were no signs of electricity passing into the motherboard. I switched the old and new PSU twice to confirm. The new PSU now looks dead. Now I can confirm there was problem with the PSU, even though I tended not to believe so; as it was purchased with the motherboard.

Thanks for your suggestion again.

Gustav

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi gustavyeung,
Thank you for your update and feedback.
Have a nice day.