cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G Series Feedback/Suggestions

Tenshin
Level 7
Hello!
Recently I advised a friend into buying a G53SW laptop according to his budget since I've been saving money myself to get a G75 series laptop in the following months. So far he's been extremely satisfied and happy with the laptop and I got the chance to test it myself and it looked great and performed nicely.
I was only displeased a bit about the location of the ports (right side) if you're using a mouse as a right-handed person in limited spaces, mostly about the DC input port which could've been situated either further back or the DC jack made into an "L" shape or something that doesn't extend too much to the right ( I'm not gonna say to put everything on the left since that would be a discrimination against left-handed persons 🙂 ).
Also, I've been searching for gaming laptops online for countless hours trying to find one with a (mini) DisplayPort or some other options to be able to connect an external monitor and output 1920x1080 @ 120hz. I found some but all (except some Alienware laptops) had GeForce GT 555m or less powerful video cards. Even if I get an Asus G75 series with 3d/120hz monitor I won't be able to connect it to my external 24" 120hz monitor. I'm mostly interested in gaming at 120hz, not much for the 3D part of it, but that's also nice to have (I know I could buy a desktop but I intend to travel, so I'd rather save money and buy a top of the line laptop and have the option when I get home to just plug it to my external monitor). The Asus RoG gaming laptops with GTX 560m have great performance for gaming so I'm wondering why can't they add a DisplayPort? Is it too much of an inconvenience or too pricey?
I couldn't find any email address to be able to send this to Asus so I hope somebody from Asus that takes suggestions reads this here eventually.

P.S. Thumbs up for the easy access to G75 series laptops' fans, being able to clean them for dust and dirt by ourselves!

TLDR 1. Inconvenience of ports on the right side (specially DC input) in limited spaces if you're using a mouse.
2. (mini) DisplayPort possible ??? (or any other option to be able to output 1920x1080 @ 120hz)
5 REPLIES 5

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Tenshin wrote:
The Asus RoG gaming laptops with GTX 560m have great performance for gaming so I'm wondering why can't they add a DisplayPort? Is it too much of an inconvenience or too pricey?
I couldn't find any email address to be able to send this to Asus so I hope somebody from Asus that takes suggestions reads this here eventually.

P.S. Thumbs up for the easy access to G75 series laptops' fans, being able to clean them for dust and dirt by ourselves!

TLDR 1. Inconvenience of ports on the right side (specially DC input) in limited spaces if you're using a mouse.
2. (mini) DisplayPort possible ??? (or any other option to be able to output 1920x1080 @ 120hz)

The G75 has a DisplayPort.

Boosted_R
Level 8
It has a display port, but ASUS is using the Thunder Bolt symbol, so don't be fooled, its just a regular Display Port. I would wait a few months to see what problems the G75 has, if they cant get the port icons right, i can imagine what else is wrong lol
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Really? Which model of G74? Because I couldn't find anywhere any specs that has it listed ...
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#specifications
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack
1 x USB 3.0 port(s)
3 x USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
And I looked at pictures/videos of G75 presentations and it doesn't seem to have a displayport either. I'll probably get a G75 with or without eventually but it will be damn nice if G75 will have one eventually.

Tenshin wrote:
Really? Which model of G74?.

Sorry....I didn't look at my post after hitting "Submit"....I meant the G75 has a DisplayPort. The G74 does not.

Thanks guys for all the info. It was really confusing because the lady in this video called the Thunderbolt port firewire.
I read about Thunderbolt port info and features and it seems it's the next best thing, so hopefully it will be able to output 1080p @ 120hz without any problems. I still have no idea what adapter will be best to connect from the Thunderbolt port to dual link DVI or display port on an external monitor, or if the laptop will come with any such adapters/cables but I'll be keeping in touch with this forum in the weeks following the official release of the G75 series laptops to learn more about it.
With these things in mind the G75 looks like my best option for a gaming laptop by far.