cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC5300 reliability questions

HBRAFOR
Level 7
So we've been running with the AC5300 for a couple of years now, always had WiFi issues alongside a Netgear that does not (when we switch over), and more recently disconnecting Internet. I've seen a lot of complaint threads here, including lack of response from Asus themselves, so I'll just post some random questions to see if we can get a summary on what to do.

The Wifi disconnects regularly and randomly on my laptop & mobile phones, and the network shows No Internet on the phones settings, but when we jump over to the Netgear, it's all working. The Netgear is at least 6 years old, if not older. We are running Ethernet to the gaming desktops, where they show No Internet, and again, jumping over to the Netgear reconnects them. These disconnects are random and short, so they come back quite quickly which is odd. We aren't using QOS, have always had the latest version, and are not using any advanced settings or configs, so potentially using an over powered router, but we wanted the best at the time.

So the questions from a non technical person:
- Does anyone have any details or links to an optimal setup for this router, for both WAN / LAN in a normal household?
- Is there a recommended stable version of firmware people are using with "minimum" issues, or even a beta version, and where would we get this from?
- Has anyone tried the Merlin firmware for these Asus models?
- If people are dissing this model for something newer, what are the current recommendations, Asus or otherwise?

Our setup is extremely basic, so 3 gaming machines, one laptop, tablet and mobile phones. The gaming machines really only need the stability through avoiding disconnects, and I'm not sure if any other standard setting would impact their gaming experience, considering we are not using QoS. Don't think we need it either, as they are only competing vs one TV. The laptop and phones just need reliable WiFi connects, so perhaps this router was overkill? That being said, we expected the best performance from one of the best routers (back then) but have had nothng but ongoing issues. Don't want to buy a new router until I see that I have exhausted all common sense things first.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

ahfoo
Level 13
Provide some detail network map and log for others here to understand more in-depth.

ahfoo wrote:
Provide some detail network map and log for others here to understand more in-depth.

I'm not a power user, so I'm not sure what logs to pull out. The router is setup without any major modification from install, which is why I asked if there are any guides/recommendations on optimal settings for a normal household install, as detailed above. We generally just set up basic WiFi settings to get devices connected, and leave the rest as default, even for the wired PCs. Across the years, this has always worked with all models bought.

I've received a recommendation to try out a beta release which some are saying is quite stable, so will try that this week. Should that not work, all we'll do is reset, setup the WiFi settings and run again. Nothing advanced.

If you have any recommendations on general settings for this model, pls advise, or just let me know what logs are of interest and how to get them.
Thanks

ahfoo
Level 13
Hi mate, need further clarification if only laptop and mobile phone connect wireless? 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz?. Your laptop or gaming machine connected via wireless or wired? Detail info needed for the forum member here able to put in helping hand. There is no one off optimal setting for different user environment and usage. Thank you.

ahfoo wrote:
Hi mate, need further clarification if only laptop and mobile phone connect wireless? 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz?. Your laptop or gaming machine connected via wireless or wired? Detail info needed for the forum member here able to put in helping hand. There is no one off optimal setting for different user environment and usage. Thank you.

Hi 🙂
So we have 3 desktops connected via LAN, all are on the top floor, so through a TP Link Switch (tl sg105). These devices get disconnected as mentioned, for short periods and then reconnect. Network adapter icon shows the globe, then recovers.

The mobile phones (4) & laptops (2) are all connected via WiFi, 5Ghz, with 2Ghz, and 5Ghz2 enabled (have tried without 2Ghz). Originally set to auto swap incase of disconnect but now set to change manually as part of the test. Main 5Ghz still disconnects quite often on my phone - even when sitting next to the router. Have moved one phone back over to the Netgear router and it hasn't experienced any issues yet. Control channel was originally Auto, but now trying others (64 currently). Bandwidth also at Auto, although I have tried individual settings briefly.

Personal laptop is a new Asus (regretting this decision) which actually disconnects more regularly than mobile phones - which indicates that Asus must have WiFi issues, as I have a work Dell laptop that doesn't disconnect as often. Regularly means that the laptop can disconnect 3-4 times every hour, even if only for a couple of seconds. What's odd is that when our son has friends over for a gaming session, we connect all 4 of their machines through a TP link power line network adapter, and connect them to the Netgear N750, and they experience no issues. Unfortunately this only happens every 2-3 months, so not something to base stats on.

Both routers are connected directly into a Fiber box, 1Gbps up & down.
As stated, 3 LAN desktops, 4 mobile phones, and 2 laptops (only one used at a time) are all we have. The TV is wired directly into a seperate port on the Asus. We have two Echo devices that also keep telling us they are disconnected, which is nice of them 😄

What I meant by optimal was, should all default settings be ok for a small user like us, or do such gaming routers need more advanced setups to do the basic things? The Netgear was WiFi password, and off you go. We only upgraded to support higher throughput speeds, via LAN and WiFi.

If you need logs, you'll need to advise how I get them :). Thanks!

ahfoo
Level 13
Try to isolate by disconnect the switch to the router, connect the lan cable connected to the switch to your one of your PC and just focus on the wireless device see if your mobile phone any disconnection. Meaning temporally work without the switch (TP Link).