cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't log into BIOS, do i need a new motherboard?

pkrahn
Level 7
I have a ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING board, and recently have ran into serious issues that I wonder might be something to do with a defect or maybe I bent something, although I've always been extremely careful. However I'm no expert and mostly just look on forums and follow directions as best I can when building or maintaining my PC.

For a while I couldn't log into BIOS any longer, just straight to the login screen. There were other issues too so I decided to do a fresh Windows 10 install. That seemed to go well, however then it didn't recognize my extra drives. I did at least see BIOS, at least for a while, not sure when it started skipping again, possibly when I tried to reset BIOS in a few ways to get the drives to show. However that ended up with my not being able to log on at all, and I thought my computer might be toast, before waking up the next day and it was fine!

Still no drives though. I need to backup my data so I tried again today, I could log in each time but the drives won't show. Eventually I realized I should update BIOS, it was at version 2404 and the latest is 2604. I used AI Suite 3 but each time I tried, it rebooted with the old version still in place. I was going to then do it directly in BIOS but I couldn't get in. The UEFI reboot selection has never been available, something to do with MBR, which before the reinstall I tried to change but not sure it ever worked, anyhow that wasn't an option now. I did turn off fast boot earlier today too.

Now I'm back to where it was weeks ago, which is I can't get to BIOS or log on. Last time I had the cmos battery out for 45 minutes, along with taking some other measures. I've tried without the drives plugged in, no difference. I have no idea what's setting this off!

Also I learned today that when I choose to reset the computer, it never starts back up on its own, I always have to press the power button. That's new.

I live in a remote place and I can't get new gear very speedily, so if I want to finish any projects I really need to solve this soon. I just don't even know what to try next, so any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I tried the flashback method and the green light was blinking, but still can't get into BIOS.
2 REPLIES 2

pkrahn
Level 7
Apparently ASUS sucks at customer service as I couldn't get any response here, or officially from their site or chat because it wouldn't accept my serial number as valid. Despite this card only being just over a year old, it's supposed to last for years and yet it seems defective. When I had GPU issues an Nvidia tech helped me over the course of many back and forth emails to figure out it was their hardware that needed replacing. And that unit was older than this. Now I have to just guess, and cross my fingers.

I would replace it with another brand name however my case only has room for my giant gpu at this exact spot, so I'm scared that any other card might not work if the slot is even a couple of mm off.

Baio73
Level 8
pkrahn wrote:
I have a ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING board, and recently have ran into serious issues that I wonder might be something to do with a defect or maybe I bent something, although I've always been extremely careful. However I'm no expert and mostly just look on forums and follow directions as best I can when building or maintaining my PC.

For a while I couldn't log into BIOS any longer, just straight to the login screen. There were other issues too so I decided to do a fresh Windows 10 install. That seemed to go well, however then it didn't recognize my extra drives. I did at least see BIOS, at least for a while, not sure when it started skipping again, possibly when I tried to reset BIOS in a few ways to get the drives to show. However that ended up with my not being able to log on at all, and I thought my computer might be toast, before waking up the next day and it was fine!

Still no drives though. I need to backup my data so I tried again today, I could log in each time but the drives won't show. Eventually I realized I should update BIOS, it was at version 2404 and the latest is 2604. I used AI Suite 3 but each time I tried, it rebooted with the old version still in place. I was going to then do it directly in BIOS but I couldn't get in. The UEFI reboot selection has never been available, something to do with MBR, which before the reinstall I tried to change but not sure it ever worked, anyhow that wasn't an option now. I did turn off fast boot earlier today too.

Now I'm back to where it was weeks ago, which is I can't get to BIOS or log on. Last time I had the cmos battery out for 45 minutes, along with taking some other measures. I've tried without the drives plugged in, no difference. I have no idea what's setting this off!

Also I learned today that when I choose to reset the computer, it never starts back up on its own, I always have to press the power button. That's new.

I live in a remote place and I can't get new gear very speedily, so if I want to finish any projects I really need to solve this soon. I just don't even know what to try next, so any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I tried the flashback method and the green light was blinking, but still can't get into BIOS.

I have just switched my GPU and had the same problem (entering the BIOS).
Solved switching the keyboard USB cables to different ports.
Seems like the motherboard (Crosshair VIII Extreme) does not power up all the USB ports at start. No problem when into the OS.
Very strange, first time I am experiencing such issues.
Hope it helps!

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100